Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
weather proof?

Yesterday I had reported in the "post your medium format pictures" area what a wonderful experience I had using the Z and the DFA 90mm in the rain and waterfall mists. This morning I got back out there and found that my eyepiece was totally moisture filled after sitting indoors in a dry area all night. Long story short , there is no O ring in the eyepiece assembly ! The rubber eyecup overlaps the metal ring which holds the first piece of glass in , but once you carefully remove the ring with the proper spanner , you will notice that there is no O ring to prevent water from coming in. This is quite contrary to the supposed ability to throw the camera in the sand kick it around and then hose it off……not that I would ever do that. The moisture inside filled the head of about three Q tips. From the look of things , the seal between the eyepiece assembly and the prism housing is very good. I think Pentax are still using the eyepiece assembly from the 645N days. Its about time to add weather sealing there too guys!!!

I would have sent the camera in for service , but we all know that the entire thing would have filled with fungus long before anyone at repair even looked at it…………….

09-02-2014, 05:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Thanks for the alert! What an odd omission...