Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter

28-45 showed up at my door ...

because my DOC provider knows these things read'em and weep, kiddies.
ps. maybe it should come with tires.

09-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And? Any details? Is the hood removable for filters on the front? I am guessing the rest is about what I would expect: mild correctable distortion, a bit of correctable CA wide open, great centre sharpness falling off slightly at the edges at 28mm and pretty even all across at 45...

You can't leave us hanging like that; it isn't right.
09-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Let us know how it goes!
09-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
Forum Member

also everyone says how big it is, but is it too big to carry around and handle - or is large but comfortable :-)

Oh and how sharp?

09-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I notice, now that this lens has been released, that the DFA 25mm has disappeared from the latest 645Z brochure on the Japanese website.

Regards

Chris
09-04-2014, 05:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
unfortunately yesterday was a rain day - again. Supposed to rain most of the day today as well. For a place that is supposed to be semi-desert, its way too wet around here. ( guess I could always try out the weather seals)
09-04-2014, 06:51 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I received mine a week ago.

To answer a few questions from the thread. It definitely is a large and heavy lens, but surprisingly, it remains pretty confortable to carry around. The front hood is removable, the use of filters is no problem, but it takes 82mm filters.

I have not done deep image quality tests yet, simply lacked the time. The distortion is really minimal, the horizon placed at the bottom of the frame remains straight, it features also very good flare resistance, but, there is some CA (but LR gets ride of it easily).

Here a few photos for those interested:

09-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #8
jbw

I have been shooting with it for about a week and I am excited to see other people's thoughts about it. It has taken some getting used to but I think it is a great performer.

http://www.goatsandgoblins.com
You can search my blog for 28-45 and images I have shot with it will come up.

09-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I've just pulled the trigger, and should be getting mine tomorrow....
09-05-2014, 02:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It's arrived and my god, it's huge!
09-06-2014, 04:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I've made the mistake of looking at yodabashi camera website. My impatience has cost me 1000+. They are selling the lens for the equivalent of 3100 including tax which is deducted automatically if you have your passport with you. So it would have been under 3k. I'm in Tokyo in 4 weeks and always look in BIC camera and yodabashi. UK price went up 500 to 3999. Best get using the lens to get value out of it!

I don't have buyer's regret its a fantastic lens- but big and very heavy. I think they needn't have included the shake reduction and it could have been smaller and lighter
09-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I've made the mistake of looking at yodabashi camera website. My impatience has cost me 1000+. They are selling the lens for the equivalent of 3100 including tax which is deducted automatically if you have your passport with you. So it would have been under 3k. I'm in Tokyo in 4 weeks and always look in BIC camera and yodabashi. UK price went up 500 to 3999. Best get using the lens to get value out of it!
Have you considered just returning it, under the idea that it's just way too big and heavy? Then have a change of heart in Japan.....
09-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I did consider it, but they are the same retailer that gave me good prices for gear against the 645Z and I may well look to sell my FA 35 and I'm still deciding whether my 25f/4 has a future with me. Also if the lens was not available in Tokyo, I'd be stuck. Plus I already like the lens too much. By golly its big and heavy.

My only negative point is that in my opinion the zoom ring is in the wrong place. I would prefer it at the back as I keep pushing the focus ring by error. Also, the focus ring goes a tad beyond infinity which could be an issue when shooting in the dark.
09-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I did consider it, but they are the same retailer that gave me good prices for gear against the 645Z and I may well look to sell my FA 35 and I'm still deciding whether my 25f/4 has a future with me.
Loyalty. My hat's off to you! I, too, have formed relationships with 2 local/regional dealers, both of whom have done me well over the years. I try to make similar decisions with them. Owning a 645Z was largely made possible by one of them through generous trade-in allowances.
QuoteQuote:
Also if the lens was not available in Tokyo, I'd be stuck.
Indeed.
QuoteQuote:
Plus I already like the lens too much.
Good to hear! Some of my own landscape shooting is reminiscent of yours.
QuoteQuote:
By golly its big and heavy.

My only negative point is that in my opinion the zoom ring is in the wrong place. I would prefer it at the back as I keep pushing the focus ring by error. Also, the focus ring goes a tad beyond infinity which could be an issue when shooting in the dark.
hmmmmmm.....I wish Pentax was going to be at PDN this year in NYC so I could see one in person....maybe B&H or Adorama will have one in stock to check out...