Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #16
Forum Member

Too true when they don't cover the range you often use.

Hopefully, if it were my lens, I would avoid getting the 25mm and leave the 35mm and 55mm behind. So this would be about the weight of the 25-45mm left out of the bag and as it would cover 90% of the range I work in, I would expect to carry it (along with the 75mm and 150mm).

But as I haven't seen the actual size or handled the lens - this is just theory :-)

09-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Hark Lee for the review. This looks like a good addition to the wide end of the line.

---------- Post added 09-09-2014 at 08:52 PM ----------

BTW, i am curious about the black tape in front of the hot shoe - is that to prevent scratches sliding on and off the flash/trigger?
09-10-2014, 02:54 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing this harklee.
Yes the IQ stands out in par with price.
No i don't think it covers 645 full frame, and that is precisely why i will not buy it, being still a film shooter.
I find a bit odd to replace DFA25 (of which two vesions exist, Pal ; but right, optically covering 645 FF, the DA beeing limited by the hood) and 55 by this lens though, and i will keep my excellent and rather compact FA35/3.5 , saving nearly one stop by the way. Plus the incrediblingly good FA45-85/4.5 of course.
I never found any dust on my 645D sensor in 4 years, despite very frequent and sometime "sportive" lens changes.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-10-2014 at 03:02 AM.
09-10-2014, 03:32 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i am curious about the black tape in front of the hot shoe - is that to prevent scratches sliding on and off the flash/trigger?
I'll admit to a polite interest in this too..

09-10-2014, 05:00 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Thanks for sharing this harklee.
Yes the IQ stands out in par with price.
No i don't think it covers 645 full frame, and that is precisely why i will not buy it, being still a film shooter.
I find a bit odd to replace DFA25 (of which two vesions exist, Pal ; but right, optically covering 645 FF, the DA beeing limited by the hood) and 55 by this lens though, and i will keep my excellent and rather compact FA35/3.5 , saving nearly one stop by the way. Plus the incrediblingly good FA45-85/4.5 of course.
I never found any dust on my 645D sensor in 4 years, despite very frequent and sometime "sportive" lens changes.
You've been incredibly lucky- I already have dust on my Z and I am hopeless at removing it. Ended up taking my D800E into a store to do it because I'd failed
09-10-2014, 05:17 AM   #21
Forum Member

Not sure if this is in the UK only, but I got a letter with my Z offering 2 years of free sensor and camera cleaning. All I need to do is send it to the UK service centre and it would be cleaned and returned (which happens to be 20 minutes down the road for me)

Also, if I have a D as well, they would clean that as well for the next 2 years under the same deal.
09-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPhil Quote
Not sure if this is in the UK only, but I got a letter with my Z offering 2 years of free sensor and camera cleaning. All I need to do is send it to the UK service centre and it would be cleaned and returned (which happens to be 20 minutes down the road for me)

Also, if I have a D as well, they would clean that as well for the next 2 years under the same deal.
Good to know. I didn't see that note with mine. I'm going to be away for about 6 weeks so won't be able to use it at the moment
09-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
You've been incredibly lucky- I already have dust on my Z and I am hopeless at removing it. Ended up taking my D800E into a store to do it because I'd failed
When i bought my 645D, i had in the 4 years extension package, 8 sensor cleaning sessions per year (!).
Which in my opinion wouldn't be used in any case because i preferred cleaning my-self for convenience, but yet after 4500 shots (only, will say intensive users) it has'nt been the case
I shoot scarcely, but when shooting use alternatively at least 4 or 5 of my 12 lenses in the same day session, plus film with 645NII (taking advantage of full size "sensor"). Last time along the sandy atlantic beaches...
And i of course check regularly on the sensor.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-10-2014 at 10:35 AM.
09-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Just looking at shots I've taken today on the LCD the lens is insanely sharp. I can see the SR as being useful, but if they could have saved 500g by not including it I'm sure there would be more benefits. Am still shooting so haven't had chance to look at them on a computer yet.

It is massive and doesn't sit very well on my camera when I have the shoulder harness on so the camera will have to live in the bag and to fit snugly in my bag the hood will need to be reversed which makes using it more complicated and slow straight from the bag. The 25f/4 is weighty but better balanced on the camera and I have no fears having it on the camera when I have my black rapid strap on. I think the 28/45 is going to live on my camera much of the time.
I am not surprised at the size and weight, as I have the 45-85mm and the 80-160mm. I also use the 67 300mm and it weighs a ton. my question also, is it scaled for the 645 film size or the 645D sensor size??????
09-11-2014, 12:18 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bull drinkwater Quote
s it scaled for the 645 film size or the 645D sensor size?
I'm betting this zoom lens will be specifically made for the 645Z 44mm X 33mm sensor size. Only at longer focal lengths it might cover full 645 format.
09-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bull drinkwater Quote
I am not surprised at the size and weight, as I have the 45-85mm and the 80-160mm. I also use the 67 300mm and it weighs a ton. my question also, is it scaled for the 645 film size or the 645D sensor size??????
Having just got my 28-45 zoom, whilst it is big and heavy it isn't too big and too heavy - it feels very nice. I must admit I was worried that it was going to be too much given all the negative thoughts on the size; but I am pleased it is less than my expectations.

Happy boy

Now to get out and try it!
09-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #27

Having just got my 28-45 zoom, whilst it is big and heavy it isn't too big and too heavy - it feels very nice. I must admit I was worried that it was going to be too much given all the negative thoughts on the size; but I am pleased it is less than my expectations.

Happy boy

Now to get out and try it!
I like the weather sealing but I wonder whether in lens optical stabilization is really necessary for a wide angle zoom. I can't imagine many circumstances where I feel a need to hand hold it. Perhaps, I'm too landscape oriented in my thinking. It would be nice to lose 500kg on it.
09-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #28
Forum Member

Agree I will 100% of the time use this on a tripod. I may move to handholding for certain shooting, but that is still a planned departure from my landscape work. One thing I have found is that the weight helps handholding - it dampens down any movement and makes it really solid to hold.

If it did drop OS, I am not sure it would save much weight - not sure how much the component parts add up to, but I think a lot of the weight is in the solid build and the amount of glass in the lens.

But it fits in my bag now I don't need to carry the 55mm and 35mm :-)
09-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I was shooting inside cologne cathedral with it today so the SR did come in handy today as a tripod isn't allowed. For normal landscapes I see no real need for SR
09-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Agree I will 100% of the time use this on a tripod. I may move to handholding for certain shooting, but that is still a planned departure from my landscape work. One thing I have found is that the weight helps handholding - it dampens down any movement and makes it really solid to hold.

If it did drop OS, I am not sure it would save much weight - not sure how much the component parts add up to, but I think a lot of the weight is in the solid build and the amount of glass in the lens.

But it fits in my bag now I don't need to carry the 55mm and 35mm :-)
Gee, an other user that doesn't see or need difference btw 45 and 55mm.
I am taken aback