Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bull drinkwater Quote
that's pentax's fault. I don't remember ever hearing that when they first came out. even at an extra cost a full frame 645D would have been worth it. however a pentax aps-c beats the hell out of a canon or Nikon full frame. does this mean that you get a crop factor when you use a 645 or 6x7 lens on the 645d?????????????
I don't think Pentax intentionally "hide" this - many reviews point this out when the 645D came out.

P645 film area size: 41.5 x 56mm
645Z CMOS size: 32.8 x 43.8 mm

135 "Full frame" is 24mm x 36mm.

that is why I jokingly said it is APSC of true 645... and that is why Pentax 645 lens have a "DA" and "FA" designation.

still awesome though.

09-14-2014, 03:46 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I don't think Pentax intentionally "hide" this - many reviews point this out when the 645D came out.

P645 film area size: 41.5 x 56mm
645Z CMOS size: 32.8 x 43.8 mm

135 "Full frame" is 24mm x 36mm.

that is why I jokingly said it is APSC of true 645... and that is why Pentax 645 lens have a "DA" and "FA" designation.

still awesome though.

but you are right, about the 645d being the aps-c of the 645. with the image quality i'm getting from the fa 645 lenses, there is no way i'm spending $4000.00+ for the new lenses. the only down side for me is getting "wide" angle shots. I beat that by mergeing two or three shots or by using a .5 screw on lens with my 35 or 45mm lens.
09-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
But that's part of the allure! I shot a couple more frames today but I won't actually get to see the results for some time. Patience is required by this process, and that sets it apart from any modern photographic technology that I know. I see the scene I want to shoot. I try to compose it in the VF the way I want it to look. I do a few calculations about light, metering, DOF etc., and then I commit to the image with a push of the shutter. But that is when the image goes into hiding, known only to the chemicals on my emulsion (if, in fact, they are self-aware). The image exists only in the chemicals for some time, in a sort of embryonic state, and in my quickly fading and highly inaccurate memory. Eventually I finish the roll, and send it off to the lab. Some time later the fully formed and developed image returns and I get to enjoy the glorious moment of acquaintance on my light table. I savor the moment with my loupe, exploring every detail from corner to corner. Then I proceed to the next stage, one of growth and massive expansion. New details emerge and eventually I end up with a large image that can be framed and displayed or shared with others in cyber-space.
Please forgive my romantic ramblings!
I remember that feeling well, waiting for the image to appear days or weeks later. I've found a new way to get that feeling though. I literally turn off the display so I can't see the image that I took. It drives my wife nuts when I do it and she wants to look at the image and I just say "no". It's not quite as romantic as film but equally eccentric I think