Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Wow, I'm speechless. Amazing review, Pentax, you listening here? I doubt that when I have my own 645z (and I will someday), that I'd have 10,000 shots in several years.
What's the point of having a camera, especially one that costs as much as that one, if you're not going to use it?

09-19-2014, 01:26 PM - 2 Likes   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
What's the point of having a camera, especially one that costs as much as that one, if you're not going to use it?
Why is that not using it? just because you CAN press the shutter release repeatedly with digital it doesn't mean you should. I'm old school, I shoot when I think I've got something worht processing not when there's an off chance I might.
09-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Because I'm not a professional photographer, shooting something like 10,000 frames in several months, is way beyond any thing I've done annually with any camera over the past 7 years. I shoot a lot (or so I think) but I don't think I've shot 10k frames even in one year. I might be old school here too as a landscape photographer and I try to put some thought in to my shots. Not saying that you or anyone else doesn't do that as well, but I just tend to work slow. I think if I was shooting action subjects (and some others I'd guess) I'd be telling a different story. The bottom line here for me is that the OP's review, based on pro work with three serious cameras while doing that work, just impressed me with the quantity of images. I can't even imagine post processing those images in a short period of time either.
09-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Because I'm not a professional photographer, shooting something like 10,000 frames in several months, is way beyond any thing I've done annually with any camera over the past 7 years. I shoot a lot (or so I think) but I don't think I've shot 10k frames even in one year. I might be old school here too as a landscape photographer and I try to put some thought in to my shots. Not saying that you or anyone else doesn't do that as well, but I just tend to work slow. I think if I was shooting action subjects (and some others I'd guess) I'd be telling a different story. The bottom line here for me is that the OP's review, based on pro work with three serious cameras while doing that work, just impressed me with the quantity of images. I can't even imagine post processing those images in a short period of time either.
We shoot a lot, yes.
I shoot for many formats, many crops and many uses.
I the old days of film it just wasn't feasible, we didn't have the option to do it.
Now I can give you a high res image and give you almost any option on it, within seconds.
That being said, I use fast media and I don't ever expect to run into buffers or have cameras jam up on me.
The Pentax has been grand so far and I'm truly impressed.
The service end of things is the next part to find out about.
Rob

09-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Based on this and your comments regarding the too small grip, I guess you must have large hands like me. I have the same issue with my K-3, but the camera fits my hand a lot better than competing products.

Steve
I don't have monster hands, but they are definitely not dainty. I find that the grip on the 645D is almost perfect and I believe the 645Z is similar in size. The K3 that I just purchased is too small; I can't quite get all of the ring finger on the grip making it feel awkward to hold and the pinky is off in space. I cannot hold the K3 comfortably for an extended period without the optional battery grip. However, I like the small form factor of the body because is reminds me of the compact Pentax film SLR's like my old SuperProgram. Even though it was too small for my hands, I loved it.
09-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

way beyond any thing I've done annually
Your prior post said several years - that's why the comment. Even if you only averaged 50 exposures a week you'd hit 10k in 4 years.

---------- Post added 09-20-14 at 05:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robertchow999 Quote
I don't have monster hands, but they are definitely not dainty. I find that the grip on the 645D is almost perfect and I believe the 645Z is similar in size. The K3 that I just purchased is too small; I can't quite get all of the ring finger on the grip making it feel awkward to hold and the pinky is off in space. I cannot hold the K3 comfortably for an extended period without the optional battery grip.
Same here. If it's using anything heavier than a short prime, I end up with awful cramps in my hand. So I always keep the grip on unless I'm out with just the 15 and 40.

Maybe the 645 would work better but no way I could justify the expense.
09-21-2014, 03:22 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by rcdurston Quote
I have just past the 10,000 frame mark on my 645z, its at 10823 and sleeping for the weekend.
I got it a couple of months ago and have been using it almost exclusively for my advertising work. I'm very happy with it so far, for the most part.
Here are my top TEN lists for it

Some thing that do bother me though are,
1. AF zone is too small (center 25% of the frame only)
2. inconsistent AF accuracy
3. wait time to use the aperture and ss wheels after firing off a frame
4. the grip, too small
5. SD slots too close to strap point, relocate the strap mounts please
6. missing cap for PC connection
7. wait time to turn on LV after firing off a few frames
8. cable release option besides FluCard
9. FA collar AF/MF switch, PITA
10. tunnel like viewfinder, your eye needs to be lined up perfectly to see 100% of the frame

things I love, beyond the resolution, decent lenses (for the money), ISO sensitivity
1. rear monitor, huge
2. dual SD slots, my Mobi wifi card works wonderfully at speed with the camera
3. weight, nice balance
4. solid lens mount
5. side tripod mount
6. comprehensive menu
7. Live View magnification, the only true way I have found to get accurate focus
8. Matrix metering is usually spot on
9. Long battery life, one battery lasts almost all day, around 1000-1300 frames even with the wifi card transmitting
10. Three WB preset favourites, great to swing back and forth through while testing a scenario

I don't use the camera everyday. I now have three systems from 3 separate brands that I use on shoots; Pentax 645z, Nikon D800 (lightweight back up to the 645z) and the Canon 5D mk3 for lighter file size work.
Saying that, I'm working on a 25 day project, shooting 50 locations with 50 hero shots and over 450 extra scenarios. I'm half way right now and the Pentax is shining. Most of the time I don't bother using the other cameras for the smaller or lighter work because I'm enjoying the the Pentax especially with the 45-85 and the 35 prime. The Nikon has been consistently jamming when needed the most and the Canon now feels like a Fisher Price toy.
When I'm done this project I willing be thinking about sending the camera in to have all the lenses calibrated with the body, specifically checking the focus.
Overall I give it an 8.5/10

Rob
Rob,

Thank you for sharing your experiences on the 645Z with us.

Have you ever tried to shoot with a flash/strobe and using the 2nd curtain sync on this body ??
I was wondering since there is a very little information about this and was wondering if you've 'been there, done that' with it after 10K clicks.

09-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have just been using the default strobe setting.
Most of what I shoot is at 1/30-1/125th so 2nd curtain doesn't really play a part.
We'll look into it a bit more this week and give it a try though.
More to read on the pdf.
R
09-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm seriously thinking about putting a second grip on the LS of the camera
That sounds like a great solution and might even be worth having one custom machined.

Steve

---------- Post added 09-22-14 at 01:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robertchow999 Quote
reminds me of the compact Pentax film SLR's like my old SuperProgram. Even though it was too small for my hands, I loved it.
I agree that the Super Program (Super A) is probably one of the best Pentax film bodies for ergonomics. The is particularly true if the bottom half of the case is attached.

Steve
09-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I the old days of film it just wasn't feasible, we didn't have the option to do it.
I guess you never saw a show (film days) about Sports Illustrated shooting their swim suit edition. One photographer was shooting continuously with an automagic camera and when the roll was done an assistant handed him a freshly loaded camera and off we went. Basically, a 5 or so FPS movie at 7 or so second intervals.
09-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
body jammed today, 12,871
They need to work out the switching ss and apertures while body is recording files, I can't wait seconds while the body processes images.
10-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #27

Focus accuracy

Question for the OP....by focusing accuracy, are you saying that the AF hunts, or it's decisive but inaccurate?

I'm curious since it has a modern AF if you would use it for events, moving objects. I'm guessing the focusing system is on par, but maybe it's a lens issue?
10-08-2014, 12:44 AM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TimonW Quote
Question for the OP....by focusing accuracy, are you saying that the AF hunts, or it's decisive but inaccurate?

I'm curious since it has a modern AF if you would use it for events, moving objects. I'm guessing the focusing system is on par, but maybe it's a lens issue?
For me, its not accurate and the AF zone is too small to naturally frame a subject and use. It needs to be much larger.
I put the inaccuracies down to the age of the lenses; even the brand new 55mm probably needs some micro adjusting.
Rob
10-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Advice requested on Pentax 645 purchase

I have the original Pentax 645 film camera and three lenses, and enjoy this camera. I have never used medium format digital, but considering moving in that direction because of the wonderful images that are being posted with the digital 645D and 645Z.

I would appreciate views on whether to buy the original 645D with several lenses, or to buy the 645Z with maybe only a starter lens and use my existing manual focus lenses with it. My manual focus lenses are 55 mm, 60-150 zoom, and 200 mm. I am on a very tight budget, and prefer to keep the costs as low as possible. However, I really like the reviews of the 645Z, and wonder if most people believe it offers enough advantages over the 645D to make the extra cost worthwhile. If possible, I would like to keep the total cost at around $10,000 or less. I am a photographic hobbyest, and do not make a living with photography. Buying the 645D would permit getting maybe a couple of good autofocus lenses for the cost of the 645Z and maybe only one autofocus lens.

I would use the setup for nature and landscape photography as well as portraiture, very little with action sports. I am happy with the existing manual focus lenses for portraiture, so new lenses would be more wide angle or normal autofocus type lenses.
10-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #30

Ivan, I have the D but lust after the Z. I would recommend the Z because of the superior ISO preformance, higher resolution and the faster processing speed of the Prime III processor. The live view feature lets you use manual focus lens with confidence so you won't need to purchase any new auto-focus lens immediately. Given your shooting preferences, you don't need the 3 fps but it's nice to have. I will be foolishly attempting to capture the Blue Angels air show this weekend with my D and my FA400 at the pedestrian 1.1 fps (actually, 3 fps really isn't fast enough, especially if you don't know what you're doing ).

The only thing I don't like about the Z is the dual mode 4 way buttons. My MX-1 and new K-3 have those and I'm forever in the wrong mode. Anyway, you still can't go wrong with the D and I'm sure you can pick up a used one for a reasonable amount.
_