Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2014, 09:54 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Past the 10k mark on my Pentax 645z, user review

I have just past the 10,000 frame mark on my 645z, its at 10823 and sleeping for the weekend.
I got it a couple of months ago and have been using it almost exclusively for my advertising work. I'm very happy with it so far, for the most part.
Here are my top TEN lists for it

Some thing that do bother me though are,
1. AF zone is too small (center 25% of the frame only)
2. inconsistent AF accuracy
3. wait time to use the aperture and ss wheels after firing off a frame
4. the grip, too small
5. SD slots too close to strap point, relocate the strap mounts please
6. missing cap for PC connection
7. wait time to turn on LV after firing off a few frames
8. cable release option besides FluCard
9. FA collar AF/MF switch, PITA
10. tunnel like viewfinder, your eye needs to be lined up perfectly to see 100% of the frame

things I love, beyond the resolution, decent lenses (for the money), ISO sensitivity
1. rear monitor, huge
2. dual SD slots, my Mobi wifi card works wonderfully at speed with the camera
3. weight, nice balance
4. solid lens mount
5. side tripod mount
6. comprehensive menu
7. Live View magnification, the only true way I have found to get accurate focus
8. Matrix metering is usually spot on
9. Long battery life, one battery lasts almost all day, around 1000-1300 frames even with the wifi card transmitting
10. Three WB preset favourites, great to swing back and forth through while testing a scenario

I don't use the camera everyday. I now have three systems from 3 separate brands that I use on shoots; Pentax 645z, Nikon D800 (lightweight back up to the 645z) and the Canon 5D mk3 for lighter file size work.
Saying that, I'm working on a 25 day project, shooting 50 locations with 50 hero shots and over 450 extra scenarios. I'm half way right now and the Pentax is shining. Most of the time I don't bother using the other cameras for the smaller or lighter work because I'm enjoying the the Pentax especially with the 45-85 and the 35 prime. The Nikon has been consistently jamming when needed the most and the Canon now feels like a Fisher Price toy.
When I'm done this project I willing be thinking about sending the camera in to have all the lenses calibrated with the body, specifically checking the focus.
Overall I give it an 8.5/10

Rob

Last edited by rcdurston; 09-19-2014 at 10:30 AM.
09-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rcdurston Quote
I have just past the 10,000 frame mark on my 645z, its at 10823 and sleeping for the weekend.
I got it a couple of months ago and have been using it almost exclusively for my advertising work. I'm very happy with it so far, for the most part.
Here are my top TEN lists for it

Some thing that do bother me though are,
1. AF zone is too small (center 25% of the frame only)
2. inconsistent AF accuracy
3. wait time to use the aperture and ss wheels after firing off a frame
4. the grip, too small
5. SD slots too close to strap point, relocate the strap mounts please
6. missing cap for PC connection
7. wait time to turn on LV after firing off a few frames
8. cable release option besides FluCard
9. FA collar AF/MF switch, PITA
10. tunnel like viewfinder, your eye needs to be lined up perfectly to see 100% of the frame

things I love, beyond the resolution, decent lenses (for the money), ISO sensitivity
1. rear monitor, huge
2. dual SD slots, my Mobi wifi card works wonderfully at speed with the camera
3. weight, nice balance
4. solid lens mount
5. side tripod mount
6. comprehensive menu
7. Live View magnification, the only true way I have found to get accurate focus
8. Matrix metering is usually spot on
9. Long battery life, one battery lasts almost all dat, around 1000-1300 frames even with the wifi card transmitting
10. Three WB preset favourites, great to swing back and forth through while testing a scenario

I don't use the camera everyday. I now have three systems from 3 separate brands that I use on shoots; Pentax 645z, Nikon D800 (lightweight back up to the 645z) and the Canon 5D mk3 for lighter file size work.
Saying that, I'm working on a 25 day project, shooting 50 locations with 50 hero shots and over 450 extra scenarios. I'm half way right now and the Pentax is shining. Most of the time I don't bother using the other cameras for the smaller or lighter work because I'm enjoying the the Pentax especially with the 45-85 and the 35 prime. The Nikon has been consistently jamming when needed the most and the Canon now feels like a Fisher Price toy.
When I'm done this project I willing be thinking about sending the camera in to have all the lenses calibrated with the body, specifically checking the focus.
Overall I give it an 8.5/10

Rob
Great thoughtful review. You never really learn a camera, I suppose, until you use it heavily and to make a living!
09-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting.. clear and concise. So the Pentax remote doesn't work with the 645z? That's my cable release of the K-series cameras.
09-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Thanks for posting.. clear and concise. So the Pentax remote doesn't work with the 645z? That's my cable release of the K-series cameras.
I'll need to check that out Norm, I just haven't had the time to do some of the legwork/research into some of my niggles about the system.
That and the fact I'm trying to re learn Nikon from last using almost 20 years ago (damn backwards everything controls).
Thanks
Rob

09-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There's no physical cable release option? There was one listed on the system map, along with 3 wireless remotes: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-645z/ZURSYSTEMMAP.jpg
09-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
There's no physical cable release option? There was one listed on the system map, along with 3 wireless remotes: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-645z/ZURSYSTEMMAP.jpg
Sorry Natural
They have nothing here on the shelf at my local to buy as far as releases go. I'll need to order one
thanks
Rob
09-19-2014, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Canon uses the same release interface - you could grab one of those if they have them. Nikon's is different for some reason.

There are loads of third party options as well that might have more features than the pentax brand -- intervalometers, customizable to the second timed release, a lock for continuous release or bulb mode.

I got a simple physical one with just the lock option for I think $10-15 on Amazon. Works great. Nice long cord, too.

09-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

At least for the older APS-C cameras, the remote cable would share the plug with Canon so you could interchange them. Haven't tried it on the K3, I'm afraid. Might be useful to google to find out if the numerous and easily available Canon remote cables works for the 645Z also.
09-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #9

Good review. Just quickly Rob, you give it a 8.5 overall, for reference what do you give the Canon and Nikon?

I'm getting my grubby little hands on a loaner Monday but am pretty convinced that shortly after my dealer puts the loaner in my hands I'll put my credit card in his.
09-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Always nice to read a balanced review from a real hands-on user
09-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
Haven't tried it on the K3, I'm afraid.
The K-3 and 645Z both support the CS-205 Pentax wired remote as well as the similar 3rd-party offerings. Here is the one I use with my K-3. One item of interest is that you can mix the intervalometer settings of the remote and the body.

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

As for the pc socket cover...There should have been one attached. Did get lost?

The Nikon has been consistently jamming when needed the most and the Canon now feels like a Fisher Price toy.
I wish I could take that statement and post it as a sticky on this site. People seem to think that the high end Canon and Nikon are both better made and more reliable that the Pentax product.

Steve
09-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GarethC7 Quote
Good review. Just quickly Rob, you give it a 8.5 overall, for reference what do you give the Canon and Nikon?
The Canon 5Dmk3 would get a 9/10 just for its excellent AF system and the Nikon, well its quite embarrassing, I'd give it a 4/10 for stupid controls, a too tiny body and inconsistent operation.
If it were my old Nikon F3HP w/MD4, it'd get a 9 if not a 10. Not sure where they think they are taking their brand but smaller bodies are not the answer.
I have a small shoot for a different client tomorrow, all the previous portraits I'd done for them were on the Canon and looked fabulous even though I stretched the dng's to their limits. I'm thinking I will shoot it with the Pentax just to see how far the files will go; the processing for this client involves a lot of manipulation in PS and even though a 2 layer Pentax file is over 1gb I think the camera will really shine through with the extended DR over the Canon.
In all honesty, I wouldn't even attempt it with the Nikon, its just too finicky.
Rob

---------- Post added 09-19-14 at 12:12 PM ----------

Thanks for educating me on the Canon release for the Pentax, I already have a few so that works perfectly for me.
Rob

---------- Post added 09-19-14 at 12:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I wish I could take that statement and post it as a sticky on this site. People seem to think that the high end Canon and Nikon are both better made and more reliable that the Pentax product
I love the idea of washing the beach sand off my 645z with a hose but in all honesty, I could never see myself doing it. My Canons have never ever let me down and I do have high kudos for their service dept, especially New Jersey and Orange county. I don't want to jinx myself but I'm very hopeful about the 645z.
09-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

but smaller bodies are not the answer
Based on this and your comments regarding the too small grip, I guess you must have large hands like me. I have the same issue with my K-3, but the camera fits my hand a lot better than competing products.

Steve
09-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, I'm speechless. Amazing review, Pentax, you listening here? I doubt that when I have my own 645z (and I will someday), that I'd have 10,000 shots in several years.
09-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Based on this and your comments regarding the too small grip, I guess you must have large hands like me. I have the same issue with my K-3, but the camera fits my hand a lot better than competing products.
Steve
Hi Steve
I'm seriously thinking about putting a second grip on the LS of the camera, using the vertical tripod socket. Right now I have a Manfrotto square QR plate there and find myself gripping it as much as I do the RS body grip. I'm running, hanging out the back of cars and boats and find that after a few hours my big mitts are being crushed into the tiny space Pentax leaves for you to hold on.
Its either that or I build myself a tight cine rig to encompass the body.
Rob