Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I also have the 645N and love it. I've owned several of the original 645 and always enjoyed them but the 645N is just so much better in so many ways. All my lenses are A series. I previously owned the 45mm but traded it in for the 35mm when a good deal showed up. So now I have the 35, 55, 75 at the wide to normal end. Although the 35mm is an astonishingly good lens I often find the 55mm and 75mm better suited to the scenes I tend to shoot.

As for the 45-85 zoom, I've read great things about it. It is one of their best! Many reviews claim it is better at 45mm than the prime!

I hope you enjoy your venture into medium format!

09-21-2014, 05:57 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
I also have the 645N and love it. I've owned several of the original 645 and always enjoyed them but the 645N is just so much better in so many ways. All my lenses are A series. I previously owned the 45mm but traded it in for the 35mm when a good deal showed up. So now I have the 35, 55, 75 at the wide to normal end. Although the 35mm is an astonishingly good lens I often find the 55mm and 75mm better suited to the scenes I tend to shoot.

As for the 45-85 zoom, I've read great things about it. It is one of their best! Many reviews claim it is better at 45mm than the prime!

I hope you enjoy your venture into medium format!
Thanks! In my research I found just what you're saying... That its worth it to get the 645n instead of the original. I'll probably do what you did; get a 45mm then if and when I come across a good deal on the 35mm get that one. Now it looks like I may have to add a 55mm to my wish list too.

Thanks!
09-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

A friend of mine who is a professional landscape photographer and regular user of the Pentax 645 system told me that Japan doesn't have as many wide open vistas that require an extreme wide angle and that he shoots most of his scenes with a standard lens! I know there are many scenes that call for 35mm but his advice has challenged me to always see how it looks at 75mm and to my surprise, many landscapes actually work. A scene needs to have lots of really interesting features top to bottom to take full advantage of the 35mm. I often find that there is just too much sky or boring foreground at 35mm. But when I want a little more FOV the 55mm is often just what I need.
09-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Japan is the only place to get Fuji's Velvia 50 in 220. Well, Japan via eBay. Other 220 films are available in the USA, though not very many varities.
In the UK 220 is nowhere found I believe. But how safe is ordering film from abroad? Will it be scanned at airports and thus damaged? I imagine that only those films that are transported in bulk in ship containers are really safe, or am I wrong? I.e., if I buy from Japan, chances are the film is sent by airmail and thus damaged?

In passing, I find I take far more landscapes with my 80 and 120mm (for 6x6) than the 35mm for P645… In the past, that would have been my 55mm though. No longer.
I found the 45-85mm excellent but often too heavy w/o tripod.

09-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never had any problems with film ordered from Japan nor anywhere else being damaged by x-ray. When I travel, I pack it in my camera bag, which I always carry on the airplane. It gets run through the x-ray, along with my cameras and laptop. Still no problems ever.

I'm addicted to Velvia 50 in 220 rolls, especially in the 645N. It costs about $15 per roll, plus another $10 for developing (process only). That works out to less than a dollar per image. Then I have to scan it, which takes up enormous amounts of hard drive space. Maintaining enough storage space for the scanned images may be the most expensive part.
09-22-2014, 03:32 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Porta 220 can be found in the UK on Amazon, but as I stated, it's expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1x5-Kodak-Portra-400-220/dp/B004ABL80G/ref=sr_1_12?i...s=kodak+portra
09-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #22
Pentaxian

A friend of mine who is a professional landscape photographer and regular user of the Pentax 645 system told me that Japan doesn't have as many wide open vistas that require an extreme wide angle and that he shoots most of his scenes with a standard lens!
I have to stop my Zeiss 60mm for my 500C/M down to f19 to get good near to far in focus for landscapes. And I really never get good near to far with my 75mm on my Pentax 6x7 without having a minimum focus distance of around 25+ or so feet.
09-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #23

Original Poster
It's here!!!

It looks like it's new! Can't wait to fill it with film (once I learn how) and start shooting!

I'll try to post a pic here (let's see if this works...)
[IMG]

09-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #24

Saweet!!!
09-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #25

Original Poster
Thanks to you John I've got a really nice lens to go with it. Now I just need to wait for my film to get here and I'm set.
09-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #26

You're welcome. Is that a rechargeable battery charger between the camera and the remote?
09-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #27

Original Poster
Actually it's an external battery pack. From what I've read it's useful for shooting in really cold weather. You can put the battery pack in your pocket to keep the batteries warm and the camera keeps working. Not sure I will use it very often but it may come in handy someday.
09-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I had one of those remote battery packs but eventually sold it. Clever idea though. I think you'll find that battery life in the 645N is almost ridiculously good. I honestly can't remember the last time I changed batteries. They just keep going, month after month after month...

One detail that sometimes surprises me. After threading a new roll of film onto the cartridge and inserting it in the camera, then I turn the camera on. But surprisingly everything is completely unresponsive. Look in the viewfinder and no shutter speeds, no f/stop indication... and then I remember what I seem to have previously forgotten and remembered. You first have to push the shutter release button once and the film advances to the first frame. Then everything begins to work like it should.

Enjoy!
09-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #29

Original Poster
I had one of those remote battery packs but eventually sold it. Clever idea though. I think you'll find that battery life in the 645N is almost ridiculously good. I honestly can't remember the last time I changed batteries. They just keep going, month after month after month...

One detail that sometimes surprises me. After threading a new roll of film onto the cartridge and inserting it in the camera, then I turn the camera on. But surprisingly everything is completely unresponsive. Look in the viewfinder and no shutter speeds, no f/stop indication... and then I remember what I seem to have previously forgotten and remembered. You first have to push the shutter release button once and the film advances to the first frame. Then everything begins to work like it should.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the heads-up Jim. You probably saved me a few minutes of frustration. My film should be here tomorrow so hopefully I'll get a chance to fire off a few shots this weekend.

By the way, I'm enjoying your webpage!