Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Hi Snapper99, IT2 has been sent off in the post to me today and i'll get to play with it at the end of the week. What file format are you sending to your Macbook Pro, Raw PEF or Raw DNG? The Pentax DNG file I tested picks up on Capture One V.7, so if i point the Pentax to the C1 Capture folder then it should in theory work right?

P.s A quick note about ordering, the EU Ricoh website doesn't like Paypal. Kept of timing out then showing that IT2 was out of stock for several hours after. Pay with credit card and it'll work out and get shipped to you the next day. Frigging CD, it's like it's 2005 all over again!

10-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #32

You won't be able to use any Pentax 645z dng straight out of camera in C1. You'll find colour unusable. You can covert pentax pef to Adobe dng and C1 will read it with a few processing reservations.
I measured my tethered 645z dng transfer via auto import to Lightroom at 7.4 secs to full preview image. By comparison my old Phase one p30+ transfers to C1 in 4.3 secs to full preview. In my interiors work this is not a radical speed problem. I still prefer the C1 experience, but hey ho...
10-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snapper99 Quote
You won't be able to use any Pentax 645z dng straight out of camera in C1. You'll find colour unusable. You can covert pentax pef to Adobe dng and C1 will read it with a few processing reservations.
I measured my tethered 645z dng transfer via auto import to Lightroom at 7.4 secs to full preview image. By comparison my old Phase one p30+ transfers to C1 in 4.3 secs to full preview. In my interiors work this is not a radical speed problem. I still prefer the C1 experience, but hey ho...
Okay, thanks for the info. When you say unusable do you mean by C1 processing the Pentax dng? Because for me all I care about is just viewing the image after the shot, sharpness, focus, exposure. The dng's we will open separately with photoshop and convert them to tiff after retouching. So in my case do you think it would be possible to use C1 just as a viewing tool (side effect being bad colour) or will it be totally unviewable? C1 doesn't change the file when the dng lands in the capture folder (or maybe it does?! That would make C1 option unusable then). Hmmmm.... Just out of interest, how long does it take to transfer an image to the basic Image Transmitter 2 program, is that faster than Lightroom?

Regardless I am happy there are possibilities with tethering now.
10-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #34

I'm on C1 v8 now and there is no image at all, I seem to remember v7 showed an image but it was purple. The image transfer program shows a preview quicker but it not full screen or even close, and harder to check focus or details.

10-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Okay, now I have the camera, i've been playing around with it a bit. Image Transfer 2 is a very simple program but saying that I'm not disappointed with it. Live view works extremely well and it will be great when i'm in the studio playing around with lighting and seeing it live directly on a monitor. IT2 for some strange reason has a prefixed size so you can't separate/ change size of the view window. There are no options to select the images you previously took for example. You should consider IT2 as a gateway to direct your files into folder and for live view. You can control the camera too with various options.

Interestingly, I directed my RAW DNG's to Capture One's (v.7), capture folder and the images showed up in the C1 preview. I would not use C1 for processing as the yellows looked green. But using C1 for tethering is possible. This means I can view my images, checking exposure, focus etc while IT2 runs in the background directing the file to the capture folder. The images took 4 seconds to show, I would say. IT2 took 2 seconds. And that is with just USB 2! I will buy a USB 3 cable and see if that improves the transfer rate. I guess the best bet if you didn't want to use DNG but PEF Raw's is to use Digital Camera Utility 5 that comes with the camera or like snapper99, import them on the fly to Lightroom. Which on the down side takes time...

Tomorrow I will set up some studio lighting and tether the camera and see how it'll cope in a working environment. IT2 did crash once, so it will be interesting to see if the program holds up.
10-16-2014, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter

Here is an example of Image Transmitter 2 working in conjunction with Capture One Pro (V7) using RAW DNG. As you can see the colours are off but if like me, you are only interested in viewing the images via C1 but processing with another application, it's really working very well and fast! I will try with Lightroom now.

Last edited by Martelli; 10-16-2014 at 03:04 AM.
10-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Martelli Quote
Hi Snapper99, IT2 has been sent off in the post to me today and i'll get to play with it at the end of the week. What file format are you sending to your Macbook Pro, Raw PEF or Raw DNG? The Pentax DNG file I tested picks up on Capture One V.7, so if i point the Pentax to the C1 Capture folder then it should in theory work right?

P.s A quick note about ordering, the EU Ricoh website doesn't like Paypal. Kept of timing out then showing that IT2 was out of stock for several hours after. Pay with credit card and it'll work out and get shipped to you the next day. Frigging CD, it's like it's 2005 all over again!
I tried ordering from the UK website and they cancelled the order after the fact. Email said they won't ship to the US. Has anyone found a source to buy it that will ship to US? Thanks

10-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by kdphoto Quote
I tried ordering from the UK website and they cancelled the order after the fact. Email said they won't ship to the US. Has anyone found a source to buy it that will ship to US? Thanks
Hey kdphoto

That sounds very frustrating!

If you get stuck let me know, I'm in the UK so can order it for you and then send via international post.

Dan
10-17-2014, 03:54 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Lightroom works for both RAW PEF and RAW DNG if you setup a watched folder and enable auto import. Works well, but the downside is it takes longer 8 Seconds. But it's workable, not really that long. If i use the live view on the Image Transmitter window to set the shot up then that will already save me time. Thinking now that I will use lightroom instead of the capture option because at least then I know that the colours/ wb are true.
10-20-2014, 05:45 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by dan-uk Quote
Hey kdphoto

That sounds very frustrating!

If you get stuck let me know, I'm in the UK so can order it for you and then send via international post.

Dan
Thank you Dan that is very nice of you. I have a friend in London who will ship it but I was hoping not to have to go though all that. I checked today and now the the UK site says they are out of stock!! That is frustrating!
I really don't understand what or why they are making it so difficult to tether this damn camera, they are way behind the ball on this and it makes the company look like idiots.

On a lighter note I shot some exteriors yesterday for a new client with the 645z and the 35mm lens. Outstanding file, sharp great contrast & color.
10-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #41

Great to see some info on the infamous IT2!
I have had my 645z for a few weeks now and have been so frustrated waiting for this software. Could not shoot about 5 jobs so far since I needed to be tethered on all.
I was also going to have a friend ship me the disc from the UK but I'm holding off for US version incase they make any changes.
10-21-2014, 04:10 AM   #42

"Hey Ricoh - 1995 called and asked for a CD to be delivered."

Why this software can't be hosted on their website and the serial numbers emailed out after payment is beyond me. But then again it's also beyond me why they are charging for something that should be included in the box, this isn't a luxury, it's an essential!