Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #16

My personal experience is that with any reasonable (or unreasonable!) collection of 67 and 645 glass, the best backup for my 645z is my original 645D, which is why I'm holding on to it, and have been apportioning which work best at different tasks and how to split up the lens pairing for each for flexibility and performance (e.g., 645D on tripod with telephoto, 645z with lenses for hand held use).

01-09-2015, 04:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
My requirement for a backup system is for work that the 645 just can't do ie fast AF tracking and long lenses, ultra wide etc.

I have been getting good mileage out of my Nex6 lately, so may wait for the next crop Nex type body to come along.

Just not sure on long lenses for it. Olympus may be worth a look???
01-09-2015, 06:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i too do not quite understand why you would not just buy a second 645D/Z body to use with all the glass you are carrying. Having another complete system at the ready seems bothersome.
Most people using the Pentax 645 system today have moved into it recently, relatively speaking, so almost everyone with a D/Z has at least their previous camera if they haven't sold it yet. I've kept my 5D2 and 24-70II because it's still a lighter, smaller and somewhat faster camera than the Z which is good for occasional run & gun shooting. For instance, carrying the 645Z+55mm and the 5D2+24-70 is less of a burden than if I had another 645Z with a zoom on it, not to mention the second option being a heck of a lot more expensive... I already bought the 5D2 when it just came out for full price and I'm not done squeezing out all it has left, while the Z is still on lease and all the lenses I have for it I'm effectively borrowing from a friend until I turn up with the cash for 'em.

For those wanting to ditch their old SLR systems, something like a compact mirrorless camera along the lines of a GH4, A7II or EM1 with a nice zoom lens would hardly add much to your kit. heck, I could stuff one of those into my bag's side pockets.
01-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I use my D800E as a back up system. The 24 - 70 stays on it most of the time, but when I want something wider I have the 14 - 24...

01-10-2015, 07:08 PM   #20

Remember that the OP is looking for a smaller and lighter system that gives him some additional options. The 645D as a back-up for the 645Z is a heavy and large body, and somewhat more limited than the 645Z. Nevertheless, it makes sense in many situations given that those 645 medium format bodies break down from time to time, and if they do, you are out of commission. If you'd go for a 645Z with a 645D as backup you obviously have to be very careful with the number of lenses you can carry together with both bodies. The best option there is the 28-45, the 55-100 P67, and the 150-300mm. That's often all you can reasonably carry. Or the 25, the A 55, the 120 and the 400, if you are looking for a wider spread. I have both bodies, and I have been using these combinations at times.

For a somewhat smaller option I'd give the K3 and the wonderful 12-24mm a look. Together they weigh 300g less than the 645 bodies and can be fitted easily in a bag by packing the body and lens separately. You'd get excellent wide angle capability and zoom versatility in a system that costs less. You can use all the 645 telephoto lenses with an adapter and have about double the reach. In fact, this adapter would be one of the strengths of the K3 as a backup. The K3 is an excellent camera and has a great sensor. I guess the only shortcoming for you would be a limited tracking capability. The K3 is one of the most under-appreciated cameras out there.

I also have the Olympus m43 system, and it's excellent for travel, especially those recent 12-40 and 40-150mm lenses and the 75mm of course. There are great telephoto options with the Kowa 350/500mm set, but of course no tracking either. The system is very mature at this point and the E-M1 is a superb camera. Once you get to know the camera though, your m43 system is likely also going to carry some weight, and there'd be little left for an additional 645 body with a lens. As a side note, the Panasonic GH4 is significantly better at tracking, if that was a preference. Still prefer the E-M1, but by a slim margin. Having said all this, I'd consider the m43 system as an alternative system for a different type of shooting and for different quality requirements, not necessarily as a backup. You'd be surprised about the quality of its lenses, sensor, and overall photographer friendliness. It's a camera for photographers, much like the 645Z. What I mean is that both are truly designed with the photographer in mind, and you can feel it.

---------- Post added 01-10-15 at 08:56 PM ----------

... with the K-3 you could also use the same batteries as the digital 645 bodies.
01-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes the K3 is definitely on the list. Will wait to see what the new tele lenses are that are due this year, the 400 ish mm option looks good.

I have yet been able to find anybody that can answer how the adapter for 645 lenses actually works with the K3, I just don't see how you can change aperture on the lenses. Nobody seems to know how it works.
01-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #22

It'll be stop-down metering, i.e. you measure at the same aperture at which you take the picture and you can change apertures freely. Which is fine in this case as you can use full automation on the 12-24 and you'd use open aperture or slight stop down on the other lenses anyway, if you'd resort to the back-up.

New tele lenses? Haven't heard that info yet. Any news there? A 400 for the K?

01-11-2015, 12:21 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes there is a long tele zoom coming, looks just like a 80-400.

I wouldn't be surprised if it covers full frame too by the size of it.
01-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lacunapratum Quote
Remember that the OP is looking for a smaller and lighter system that gives him some additional options. ...
maybe I am understanding the concept differently than you are. Keeping a second 645D/Z body in a case in the trunk of the car seems like it would not cause any burden to carry and there is no need for lenses, because you already have 645 mount lenses with you. In the unlikely event of a failure to the main 645 body, one sends a runner back to the car to swap the body out and you keep shooting. No need for a second system, especially not to be carried on ones person.
Even if the car is not close, a small pelican case with the second 645 body could be carried to the job and bike-chained to a stair rail or something as a safety. I am puzzled why a different body plus additional lenses would be warranted, especially if to shoot with that system would compromise images in any way.
01-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #25

Thanks, 2351HD. That's exciting!

mikeSF - depends where and how you travel. Nothing is an issue as long as you stay in the US or go somewhere you can drive with your car.

Not to argue, but in case you go with your Pentax MF system to China, South Africa, South East Asia, to just name a few, and you want to carry your entire system in your backpack because you need to also carry other luggage around. Something lighter or smaller as a backup just in case would make sense, at least for me. And I guess that's what the OP was asking about. Which is perhaps anyway one of the few situations when it would be worthwhile carrying a backup in the first place.
02-17-2015, 11:28 PM   #26

Best backup solution

Try using "Ahsay software" for this issue its the best solution to your software. I am using this software from long time and really satisfied with its working try using it guys.
02-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #27

I also have a K3 with about 4 FF style lenses, but carrying the extra glass and different style body doesn't make sense to me. At best, I'd need at least two lenses. (medium zoom and the 200mm macro). OTOH, at least they use the same battery - my girlfriend has three Nikons and three different batteries and chargers!