Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ferrania reborn! 135, 120 - kickstarter!

Support! 2nd film (after CineStill 800T) in kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/filmferrania/100-more-years-of-analog-film

Ferrania has been making both still and motion picture film since 1923 in the northwest Liguria region of Italy. Ferrania made very popular 35mm and 120 consumer films, as well as inexpensive cameras that were as popular in Italy as Kodak was in the US during the same time. But the Ferrania brand was most associated with cinema. Fellini was a big customer. So were De Sica and Antonioni. In fact, The vast majority of classic Italian movies released between 1923 and 1965 were shot on Ferrania stock.

Between 1964 and 1999, Ferrania was owned by The 3M Corporation and sold films under various brand names. After 3M’s exit, Ferrania soldiered onward until finally turning off the machines and locking the doors in 2010.

In 2012 our founders, Nicola and Marco, knocked on the factory door and FILM Ferrania, named in homage to the original 1923 company, was born.

For more, please check out "A Brief History of Ferrania" on our site.

09-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This is cool. I suspected that they needed more money to secure the machinery. The reversal film is a logical start point since there is a ready market for cinema shooters.

Steve
09-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have been watching the Film Ferrania project for well over a year now and to be honest I'm disappointed with this step. You need to invest a minimum of $25 to get a single roll of film, and it's a slide film that doesn't interest me.

I'll see how it goes but unless they need it to get the colour negative production off the ground, they won't get my money for slide film.
09-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

yeah color negative or B&W negative would excite me.... not slide film though

09-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've piddled more money away on lesser things. If this somehow gets them started on producing film and expanding the overall film market then I'm in.

They're asking for $250,000. I wonder if they will reach it. We're seeing the initial inrush of enthusiasts. I'm thinking the money coming in will slow down in the next few days. Then it will ramp up closer to the end of the fund raising period.
10-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Is the film market really hurting that badly? To me, more-or-less from the outside, it looks small (~40 types of 135 available) but that's still... 40 types of film available.
10-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just ordered the 120 lovers pack. Even it all falls apart, its always good to support people who put themselves out there and try to achieve something.

10-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
yeah color negative or B&W negative would excite me.... not slide film though
Then this is for you...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/273511-120-cinest...ckstarter.html
10-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Until you double the price by being outside the US
10-04-2014, 03:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm the opposite

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I have been watching the Film Ferrania project for well over a year now and to be honest I'm disappointed with this step. You need to invest a minimum of $25 to get a single roll of film, and it's a slide film that doesn't interest me.

I'll see how it goes but unless they need it to get the colour negative production off the ground, they won't get my money for slide film.
I guess we're all different. The one emulsion I have almost no interest in is color negatives. B&W negatives or color slide film are what I put thru my cameras. So I guess I'd better check into this one!
10-04-2014, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Is the film market really hurting that badly?
Answer: Yes and No

The market has definitely shrunk to a fraction of its previous strength over the last decade. In response, Fuji has been quite ruthless in paring down its film offerings. Kodak has been less so, but still has completely discontinued all reversal (slide) films. I believe the short list of actual manufacturers goes something like this:
  • Kodak (C41, BW)
  • Fujifilm (C41, E6, BW)
  • Ilford (BW)
  • Foma (BW)
  • Agfa-Gevaert (aerial photography films confectioned and packaged under the Rollei label)
  • Adox (C41, BW)
  • Lucky (C41, BW)
The importance of supporting Film Ferrania is partially that of broadening the base of available emulsions and formats and partially about salvaging the only dormant (and presumably workable) film coating machines on the planet. This is critically important given that we lost one entire manufacturer (Fotokemika/Efke) a few years back due to the the economics of maintaining its coating machines.

The future appears to be in favor of small-scale film manufacturing such as the revived Adox and Film Ferrania.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-04-2014 at 08:07 AM.
10-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you really want to be inclusive then you could also include the instant films too. That would add Fujifilm's Instax and Impossible Project's SX-70, 600, and Spectra films. I don't know how different or similar the manufacturing processes are though.
10-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lomography got someone to make 110 film too.

One B&W and several types of color.
10-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Going through Steve's list I see the Agfa/Rollei film is being manufactured by HANS O. MAHN & CO. KG and sold by Macodirect.de
And B & H has it too.
An interesting one is Rollei/AGFA Digibase CN200 Pro Color Negative Film C41
available in 135-36 and 120.
This film has no orange mask.
I wonder how this film is for scanning and re-photographing, might try some next time I buy film.
10-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Going through Steve's list I see the Agfa/Rollei film is being manufactured by HANS O. MAHN & CO. KG and sold by Macodirect.de
Maco/Mahn (same company) makes nothing, though I do believe they have the ability to do their own confectioning. I have been using their products for years and have actually purchased from macodirect.com.* The AgfaPhoto products are being sold by a company called Lupus Imaging who has a license for the name and logo. Some of their films are low-end Fuji products. There is a lot of speculation about the source of the others. Lupus also lacks film manufacturing capabilities.

Steve

* Macodirect.com is sort of a German equivalent of freestylephoto.biz. They sell a number of brands and often have very good prices.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-04-2014 at 07:58 PM.