Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
Inactive Account

pentax 67 question

hi everyone,

recently acquired a pentax 67 with mlu + 55mm f4 lens + ttl prism,

there seems to be an issue with the metering, the modes on the lens ''auto'' and ''manuel'' are acting the same way,

when i choose auto the meter is working fine, when swithced to manuel nothing changes i still have the same readings,

is this supposed to be like that ?, i'm a newbie to the 67 system, i searched the issue on the net but couldn't find any answers..

10-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Some 67 bodies will give the same reading wide open when "auto" or "manual" is selected. However, on the bodies where the reading is the same wide open, the readings are different when the lens is stopped down a bit. Other 67 bodies I've used will not even meter on "manual" with a lens in place. They will only meter when something is placed between the body and lens ( like the helicoid tube). One test that you could do, is to see how it meters when you put something between the lens and body and see if it meters on "manual". The manual mode is designed for stopped down metering, when the auto metering connection is lost. You may not have a problem.
10-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum.

Yes the TTL meter should read the same for manual or auto. You move the lens into manual when you want to check the DOF.

When you use extension tubes on a 67 lens you have to meter with the lens in manual.

Phil.
10-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Manual on the lenses is for stop-down metering purposes (macro w/ extension tube(s)) or for depth of field checking at the selected aperture. It can also be useful in the event of the breakage of the meter coupling chain (which a member here has experienced while on holiday in NYC in the last couple of days). While you are coming to grips with understanding the TTL meter as a newbie to the 6x7, clue up on the right way to avoid damage to the aforementioned meter coupling chain. If you remove the prism, then remove the lens. Then re-mount the prism and then the lens. And check the prism is completely seated before you start shooting (if it's not, remove the prism, then the lens, then remount the prism and then the lens. Small, odd things to pay attention to, but it can eliminate a huge amount of disappointment with repairs if needed. So many people new to the 6x7 system end up breaking the chain before they've even shot a roll of film!

11-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #5

I have a 67 in pretty nice shape but have noticed a small chain hanging from the top front of the lens breach...yikes. What now?
11-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's a broken metering chain for the TTL prism. If you are in the USA send it to Eric. He fixed mine and did a full CLA. No doubt now it will outlast me.
11-15-2014, 12:37 AM   #7

Thanks Tom,
Spoke with Eric today and will be shipping the camera and TTL to him this week.
11-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pentax67lens-135mm

Hello, can somebody tell me , what's the difference between 'manuel' and 'auto' on the lens?

11-25-2015, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Auto means auto diaphragm. The meter will read the aperture ring's position without having to actually read the light going through the stopped down diaphragm. You can meter with the diaphragm wide open and still get accurate readings. If your aperture is set to f/8 on auto, the meter will register that focal ratio, even though the diaphragm is wide open. On manual, the metering is done through the diaphragm.
11-25-2015, 01:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks

thank you for the answer