Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #1

6x7 with "man parts"

I'm the new proud owner of a 6x7 camera which I bought for a ridiculously low price—this doesn't come without a few caveats, though.

The TTL meter indicator window is a bit wacky and there's a dent on the prism but the camera is otherwise fine. However, there's one more thing that puzzles me. It comes in the shape of a stick that protrudes from the camera back, as seen in the picture below.

What the flying heck is this and what purpose does it have (if any)? And can it be removed safely?

Last edited by hooverfocus; 10-03-2014 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
10-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does it protrude through the camera back? If so, does it correspond with anything on the inside? I've used a few medium format cameras, but none of them were the Pentax 6x7, so I don't know how the inner surface should be constructed. It almost looks as if the appendage is some kind of pin that should fit into another device and the suede (?) patch is some material to prevent lateral slippage (like stuff you line a cupboard with? I'm totally spit-balling here.).

Does the seller have any info on this "accessory"?
10-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #3

Find another one with a corresponding "part"

Is it attached to the camera itself or is it attached to that brown pad? If it's just attached to the brown pad then it'd be easy to just take it off and keep it as an accessory I've never had a 6x7 in my hands (or any non-disposable film camera). It seems like it would've been a solution for something very specific... maybe it could have been something to grip to help open the film chamber (probably not, right)? The gray residue looks like some sort of dried adhesive? Maybe it was stuck to something? I suppose you might be able to hang something from the little peg, too.
10-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do have a 6x7 and I can assure you that is not a standard thing. No idea what that is or what it is for.

10-04-2014, 12:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Weird.

Franken-camera.
10-04-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I would say it is a modification from a proffessional work flow. It would speed the reload proccess by holding the door steady while in the open position. It may perhaps be matched a certain lens or no lens. The idea being that you place the camera, lens mount down and flip the lid open where it then rests level with the camera movement, eliminating flopping and the extra effort normally needed to steady the body while threading film.........

or maybe a nose picker while shooting...........sorry, its late here.
10-04-2014, 04:08 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
Does it protrude through the camera back? If so, does it correspond with anything on the inside? I've used a few medium format cameras, but none of them were the Pentax 6x7, so I don't know how the inner surface should be constructed. It almost looks as if the appendage is some kind of pin that should fit into another device and the suede (?) patch is some material to prevent lateral slippage (like stuff you line a cupboard with? I'm totally spit-balling here.).

Does the seller have any info on this "accessory"?
I'm not sure whether it goes through the camera or not. Neither being familiar with its dry fire procedure, we loaded it with film for testing straight away. I'll take it for a ride today in order to finish the roll and then will report back.

The seller offered some sort of explanation which I found a little funky. According to him, he got it that way from Japan where the thing was installed to prevent the back of the camera from rubbing against surfaces (belts, buttons, whatever).

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I do have a 6x7 and I can assure you that is not a standard thing. No idea what that is or what it is for.
Thought so, I've been googling a bit last night in hope to come across a similar device on any camera whatsoever, but couldn't find anything about this. As a matter of fact, keywording this thing right is a problem in and of itself.

QuoteOriginally posted by goodnight Quote

Is it attached to the camera itself or is it attached to that brown pad? If it's just attached to the brown pad then it'd be easy to just take it off and keep it as an accessory I've never had a 6x7 in my hands (or any non-disposable film camera). It seems like it would've been a solution for something very specific... maybe it could have been something to grip to help open the film chamber (probably not, right)? The gray residue looks like some sort of dried adhesive? Maybe it was stuck to something? I suppose you might be able to hang something from the little peg, too.
The gray thing looks and feels like some soft foam and it comes from inside the black "tube", which is plastic-y and a bit firmer. Assuming the thing doesn't go through the camera back, if I were to remove the brown pad, how could I remove the adhesive without damaging the surface?

10-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by hooverfocus Quote
Thought so, I've been googling a bit last night in hope to come across a similar device on any camera whatsoever, but couldn't find anything about this. As a matter of fact, keywording this thing right is a problem in and of itself.

The gray thing looks and feels like some soft foam and it comes from inside the black "tube", which is plastic-y and a bit firmer. Assuming the thing doesn't go through the camera back, if I were to remove the brown pad, how could I remove the adhesive without damaging the surface?
Big time. I tried 6x7 Pentax with combinations of brown/back/peg/stick/rod/modification/pad/weird/thing... nothing!

Isopropyl alcohol has usually taken care of sticky stuff for me. You could probably pick up one of the corners of the pad and start to dab away at the adhesive to dissolve it.
10-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
A definite user mod, that I would hazard a guess that it's for the ease of holding the film door/flap.
10-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #10

Original Poster
Just when you thought you had seen everything... here's what was hiding underneath.

Also, hard to believe but in this very second and totally by chance I stumbled upon this: Hutech Astronomical Products - Pentax 67/6X7 Vacuum Back Installation which looks like the mod that was done to my camera. So, there's an answer to the mystery!

And some further 'splaining: http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/pentax/vacback.htm

---------- Post added 04-10-14 at 19:12 ----------

So, uhm, does anybody have an unused non-vacuum back lying around?
10-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #11

Mystery

Ick. That's a thick coat of gunk!

That's... quite the modification. So not just a rod, but a nozzle. The one placed on your 6x7 looks thicker and more opaque than the Hutech one. They don't show a straight-on photograph of it, though. Maybe it was a homemade vacuum back? Was the brown pad just there to cover things up?
10-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #12

Original Poster
Ick. That's a thick coat of gunk!

That's... quite the modification. So not just a rod, but a nozzle. The one placed on your 6x7 looks thicker and more opaque than the Hutech one. They don't show a straight-on photograph of it, though. Maybe it was a homemade vacuum back? Was the brown pad just there to cover things up?
Yep! I think it was homemade indeed. The Hutech looks like a decent and clean job, this one not so much (all things considered). The pressure plate was indeed set to 220, which on the Hutech site appears to be the "norm" with this kind of mods.

Is there any way to remove the pressure plate (and put it back afterwards)? I'd like to remove the nozzle and fix up the hole while I hunt for a proper back from a parts camera, but I'll need access to it and with the pressure plate in the way it's just not possible.
10-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #13

Yep! I think it was homemade indeed. The Hutech looks like a decent and clean job, this one not so much (all things considered). The pressure plate was indeed set to 220, which on the Hutech site appears to be the "norm" with this kind of mods.

Is there any way to remove the pressure plate (and put it back afterwards)? I'd like to remove the nozzle and fix up the hole while I hunt for a proper back from a parts camera, but I'll need access to it and with the pressure plate in the way it's just not possible.
Maybe you've found this already, but I came across this (surprisingly recent!) thread on an astrophotography forum where the OP makes his own vacuum back for a 6x7, with links to some pictures throughout the thread. Posts #4-6 especially might help - the OP had trouble with the pressure plate and managed to remove it with some help.
10-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #14

Original Poster
Maybe you've found this already, but I came across this (surprisingly recent!) thread on an astrophotography forum where the OP makes his own vacuum back for a 6x7, with links to some pictures throughout the thread. Posts #4-6 especially might help - the OP had trouble with the pressure plate and managed to remove it with some help.
Oh—thanks! I hadn't seen it.
Looks like I'll have a McGyver evening ahead of me
10-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #15

Sure thing!

Oh—thanks! I hadn't seen it.
Looks like I'll have a McGyver evening ahead of me
Hope you have fun and it all goes well!