Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #1

Capture One won't support 645z.. I need your help

I am a long time users of Capture One(and i love it)
Unfortunately they won't support Pentax 645z because is in competition with their Phase One DB
I was told by the team that things may change if they really get many support requests
Please if you love the Pentax 645z help sending a request support to their team.

Thanks in advance for your help
Paul

10-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
Forum Member

Sorry to jump your thread, but same for X-rite and their colorchecker passport software not working with 645z. I'm putting pressure on them and wld like others to also (since they've said it'll be a year before they look at it). Reality is that as first adopters we need to do a bit of pushing for stuff like these issues. Cheers and good luck
10-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have just read that they now support it. Source: Munozphoto - Instagram post. :-)
10-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if that is proper support - with full profiles for the .PEF files (rather than just generic and not very good support for the .DNGs), with full effort gone into maximising quality, colours, etc. and of course tethering support.

10-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
I have just read that they now support it. Source: Munozphoto - Instagram post. :-)
yes i saw that to... i tried but it doesn't
10-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 645z Quote
Unfortunately they won't support Pentax 645z because is in competition with their Phase One DB
I was told by the team that things may change if they really get many support requests
Please if you love the Pentax 645z help sending a request support to their team.

Paul
I'm afraid Phase One will never support 645z. IMO. I've asked CO about 6.5 version for Win XP 32 bit and I was not alone, but nothing.
10-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #7

Capture One does open Pentax 645z DNG files, if the exit data field "camera model name" is changed to "IQ250". I'm not a C1 user, just tested this with a test version, so I can't say if it all works as it should. C1 crashed a couple of times though, so I'm guessing it's not the best method... Nevertheless, if you wanna give it a go, I put together the necessary steps to try it on my blog: Open Pentax 645z DNG files in Capture One Pro

10-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me, the real value of an application like Capture One is the way in which it 'understands' the equipment one is using, thus allowing the best possible quality to be extracted. Noise at different ISOs. Colour and tonal profiles. Lens profiles on a particular system to correct aberrations. That sort of thing. If one is sneaking 645Z DNGs into the application in the way you describe, it may 'work' to some extent, but it will defeat the purpose in terms of quality. Although the IQ250 and 'blad equivalent have the same sensor, they are implemented, processed and optimised differently by the camera/backs - not to mention the lenses being different. So, to me, what we need to see is that the software has truly been developed to squeeze the best possible quality out of 645Z files, otherwise it's just not doing what it's there to do. YMMV of course :-)

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 10-09-2014 at 10:29 PM.
10-10-2014, 06:37 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
To me, the real value of an application like Capture One is the way in which it 'understands' the equipment one is using, thus allowing the best possible quality to be extracted. Noise at different ISOs. Colour and tonal profiles. Lens profiles on a particular system to correct aberrations. That sort of thing. If one is sneaking 645Z DNGs into the application in the way you describe, it may 'work' to some extent, but it will defeat the purpose in terms of quality. Although the IQ250 and 'blad equivalent have the same sensor, they are implemented, processed and optimised differently by the camera/backs - not to mention the lenses being different. So, to me, what we need to see is that the software has truly been developed to squeeze the best possible quality out of 645Z files, otherwise it's just not doing what it's there to do. YMMV of course :-)
yep, that's what i like about C1 (use it for fuji and leaf aptus files)
10-18-2014, 05:24 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 645z Quote

Paul
Hello hexx
Sorry to hear that. I don't have the 645Z yet. But I was very much surprised, when I updated my Capture One Pro 7.2.4: Both the K-3 and the 645D is now supported (DNG). That's very nice, 'cause I dont like Adobe Lightroom a lot...
The new Capture One 7.2.4 works a lot like Lightroom - using catalogs etc. - but the monitoring when editing each single photo is MUCH better in Capture One - I can in fact see what I'm doing. I do love Capture One too :-)

I'm sure Phase One/Capture One will support 645z too - eventually, even though Pentax is in fact competing with some Phase One cameras :-)
Regards
Jens, Denmark
10-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
I'm sure Phase One/Capture One will support 645z too - eventually, even though Pentax is in fact competing with some Phase One cameras :-) Regards Jens, Denmark
I wish they would but Phase One and Hasselblad often seem to think that shutting out competition hurts the competition and not themselves. Truth is that it hurts users and all these users will be disgruntled and never put down money for another product from that company again. They will also stop promoting the product to their buddies.

I feel like an idiot now that I have paid for all those Capture One versions.

And let's face it: Most people and professional photographers with a Pentax 645z don't have the money or are unwilling to spend 40'000 Euros for a digital camera. So these are not really customers for a Phase One camera. However they could be customers for PhaseOne software.

So instead of capitalizing on the development on software they've already done by selling more copies they rather have no earnings at all.