Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-10-2014, 05:25 AM   #1

Who is already using image transmitter 2?

Are you satisfied with the new image transmitter 2 software for the 645z or are there better solutions?

10-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #2

I don't think there are any other solutions at the moment. Several people, myself included, have emailed the Phase One team asking for 645z support; hopefully they will add it soon. Personally I'm going to wait a little while to see if they add support so I don't have to pay $250 for the IT2 software.
10-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #3

I've browsed through the manual for the IT2 software and had a bad feeling. I hope I'm wrong and it works great. Because I think this will be the only solution for the 645z. C1 and LR, we wish, not gonna happen. Neither has ever supported Pentax cameras. Fingers crossed.
10-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chomsky Quote
I don't think there are any other solutions at the moment. Several people, myself included, have emailed the Phase One team asking for 645z support; hopefully they will add it soon. Personally I'm going to wait a little while to see if they add support so I don't have to pay $250 for the IT2 software.
Wait, they make you pay for the software? Didn't you purchase a 10 000$ camera from them? What is wrong with Ricoh, seriously? (Don't get me wrong, I love my camera and lenses and whatnot, but I don't get the 250$ price tag for teetering ability on a 10 000$ camera. Maybe it's just me).

10-11-2014, 04:07 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
Wait, they make you pay for the software? Didn't you purchase a 10 000$ camera from them? What is wrong with Ricoh, seriously? (Don't get me wrong, I love my camera and lenses and whatnot, but I don't get the 250$ price tag for teetering ability on a 10 000$ camera. Maybe it's just me).
Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous. I assume the bulk of the cost is the pay for all the hours of coding that went into making the program. They also must think if someone can afford the $8,500 body they should have no problem shelling out another $250, they're definitely taking the piss.
10-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chomsky Quote
Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous.
Not that ridiculous. Nikon charges about $150 for it's tethering software, even if buyers may be spending over $5000 for some Nikons.

But since Lightroom and Capture One already offer Nikon tethering for free, Nikon would have an even harder job, I imagine, getting people to buy their software than Pentax. At least Pentax currently has a monopoly on tethering for 645Z to [sort of] justify their price.
10-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Not that ridiculous. Nikon charges about $150 for it's tethering software, even if buyers may be spending over $5000 for some Nikons.

But since Lightroom and Capture One already offer Nikon tethering for free, Nikon would have an even harder job, I imagine, getting people to buy their software than Pentax. At least Pentax currently has a monopoly on tethering for 645Z to [sort of] justify their price.
True. Hopefully some existing software like LR or C1 will start supporting the 645z, though I seriously doubt it.

10-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with the view that charging for this is taking the urine. Sort of contributes to a perception that this camera is the bargain basement end of MF digital. It's a super product which I love - this sort of thing just leaves a bad taste. Even if monopoly power lets them get away with it...
10-13-2014, 05:13 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm perfectly happy with paying for this software. Seems like it's an accessory, like other accessories. My concern is that it works well, just the same as my concern with any accessory/lens/ etc, and beyond that that the price is fair.
10-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #10

Now I'm using it in anger with Lightroom on a new MacBook Pro and I'm getting full screen previews (on my second screen) in about 6-8 secs from pressing the button. Still not as lovely as Capture One, but it'll do. I'll do a proper timing tomorrow.
10-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #11

Phase One (makers of Capture One) do not support any medium format solutions other than their own Phase One and Mamiya Leaf solutions.
10-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by dougpeterson Quote
Phase One (makers of Capture One) do not support any medium format solutions other than their own Phase One and Mamiya Leaf solutions.
Currently, yes. Hoping that will change.
10-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #13

That's what I'm saying - it will not change.

If you want a Medium Format Solution which works with the easy to use, robust, feature-rich, rock solid, fast tethering and raw processing provided by Phase One's Capture One you'll need to buy a Team Phase One medium format solution (Phase One or Leaf). The integration between their hardware and software was a major part of the Phase One project.

I'm not making any comment about the Pentax 645Z positive or negative here, just clarifying that it does not and will not integrate with Capture One.

(disclaimer/credential - I work at the largest Phase One dealer in the world, Digital Transitions.)

Last edited by Tom S.; 10-14-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Links to his work related site removed.
10-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Okay, now I have the camera, i've been playing around with it a bit. Image Transfer 2 is a very simple program but saying that I'm not disappointed with it. Live view works extremely well and it will be great when i'm in the studio playing around with lighting and seeing it live directly on a monitor. IT2 for some strange reason has a prefixed size so you can't separate/ change size of the view window. There are no options to select the images you previously took for example. You should consider IT2 as a gateway to direct your files into folder and for live view. You can control the camera too with various options.

Interestingly, I directed my RAW DNG's to Capture One's (v.7), capture folder and the images showed up in the C1 preview. I would not use C1 for processing as the yellows looked green. But using C1 for tethering is possible. This means I can view my images, checking exposure, focus etc while IT2 runs in the background directing the file to the capture folder. The images took 4 seconds to show, I would say. IT2 took 2 seconds. And that is with just USB 2! I will buy a USB 3 cable and see if that improves the transfer rate. I guess the best bet if you didn't want to use DNG but PEF Raw's is to use Digital Camera Utility 5 that comes with the camera or import them on the fly to Lightroom. Which on the down side takes time (8 sec's plus)... But I can't see any reason why Lightroom wouldn't work with DNG RAW, directing them into a folder and for Lightroom to instantly read. But then I've never used Lightroom, just C1 for viewing and then editing/ processing in photoshop.

Tomorrow I will set up some studio lighting and tether the camera and see how it'll cope in a working environment. IT2 did crash once, so it will be interesting to see if the program holds up.

Last edited by Martelli; 10-15-2014 at 10:21 PM.
10-16-2014, 03:06 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Here is an example of Image Transmitter 2 working (tethering) in conjunction with Capture One Pro (V7) using RAW DNG. As you can see the colours are off but if like me, you are only interested in viewing the images via C1 but processing with another application, it's really working very well and fast! I will try with Lightroom now.