Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
645Z - Catch-in-focus?

Catch-in-focus, or trap focus, has been available in every higher end Pentax DSLR since the *istD. I haven't been able to figure out how to get that to work on the 645Z. Has anyone tried it and been able to get it to work?

10-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, either no one else has tried it, or they have and it doesn't work for them either. (Or, ..., they're just not responding. )

Has anybody else noticed that, with a manual focus lens, or an auto-focus lens in manual mode, that the camera can be fired even if focus has not been obtained? This, even with C-3, #15, AF.S Setting is set to Focus-Priority in the menus, and on page R-40 it says "The shutter is not released until the subject is in focus."

I think we need another firmware update.
10-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,

It seems 'Catch in Focus' is not a function in the menu at all. A very strange omission IMO
10-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Hi,

It seems 'Catch in Focus' is not a function in the menu at all. A very strange omission IMO
Indeed. Especially with the 645Z's operational similarity to the functionality with the K3.

10-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #5

What is Catch-in-focus?

Pardon my ignorance. What is Catch-in-focus?
10-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elsdad Quote
It's an In Camera function that allows you set the camera up focusing to a given distance where you anticipate a subject to pass the focus point at that distance whereby the camera gains focus and fires the shutter with your given settings. It's extremely useful with manual focus lenses when you can hold the centre spot on the subject and focus the lens. When the subject comes into focus the exposure is taken.
10-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
It's an In Camera function that allows you set the camera up focusing to a given distance where you anticipate a subject to pass the focus point at that distance whereby the camera gains focus and fires the shutter with your given settings. It's extremely useful with manual focus lenses when you can hold the centre spot on the subject and focus the lens. When the subject comes into focus the exposure is taken.
thanks!

10-27-2014, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elsdad Quote
It is a feature I've used on all my Pentax DSLRs to capture images like this, and I'd like to use the 645Z to try to do better:
07-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Has anyone had any luck with this yet? Surely the 645Z has got this in it somewhere
?
07-02-2015, 04:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
Has anyone had any luck with this yet? Surely the 645Z has got this in it somewhere
?
Not that I've managed to find. I can't help but think it must be possible, but it isn't in the menus anywhere ☹
07-02-2015, 08:04 PM   #11

Not quite sure I understand correctly of the catch-in-focus, as I did not use Pentax camera other than 645Z. What I set on my camera (like in my Canon 1Dx), I use thumb to press AF-on for focus ( with continue focus), set no AF for half shutter release, such that with a moving object, I thumb press to get focus and then release thumb to let the focus distance stays on same place, for re-framing or for waiting for the object to get in the "focus net". I use this way to shoot flying dragon-flies, because they have certain flying path pattern, so the only way catch them in focus is to stay focus on one of the "air path" that they tend to station, and wait for the fly to come. Before the latest firmware release of Pentax 645Z, there is a problem on this operations, but its been corrected in the latest firmware, and now can operate correctly, please check if you have up-dated to the latest firmware version.
07-03-2015, 01:20 AM   #12

The latest firmware version is 1.21, it is an upgrade from version1.20 which did not allow shutter release when off focus when the lenses are at AF mode ( But when using LV, then it is OK to have shutter release when AF is not locked on, so obviously there was an error on the firmware 1.20). In 1.21 you can do the pre-focus and re-frame or else.
07-03-2015, 01:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Combed the camera settings yesterday and no dice. catch focus would logically have be under AF modes where you set single/continuous/timer, but other than interval and composite shooting modes, there's nothing else.
07-03-2015, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The 2003 vintage *istD, and the K-10D, don't have a 'Catch-In Focus' menu item, but that function can be implemented on them by setting focus mode to AF.S, and in the menus setting 'AF by Press Halfway' to On and 'AF Button Function' to 'Enable AF', and using a manual focus lens or AF lens set to manual focus. With those cameras, and those settings, when the shutter release button is fully pressed, or a cable remote is locked (the preferable way to do this), the camera will not fire until it achieves focus. It'll sit there all day and not fire until something comes into focus, and will repeatedly fire while focus is achieved. The flaw in the 645Z is that it fires whether focus has been obtained or not.

The menu item 'Catch-In Focus' did not appear in Pentax DSLR menus until the K20D arrived.
02-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bumping this in case anyone has found a work around to catch in focus for the 645Z