Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-17-2014, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Notes on 645z use

Hi,
I thought I would share a usage difficulty that I was having with the Z so that others would know.

Firstly, it is in relation to using the 2 new OS lenses, the 28-45 and the 90mm.

If the OS is switched on by the lens switch, and you are in mirror lockup mode, it deactivates the OS.

If you switch off mirror lockup, but have drive mode set to remote, or remote with 3s timer, it deactivates the OS.

If you wish to shoot handheld with the OS, you need to turn off mirror lockup and change the drive mode back to single shot. This last part was the hardest part to uncover, as I would leave it on remote mode when removing the camera from the tripod after using mirror lockup and the IR remote.

Might be a worthy addition to the PF review of the camera.

Scott

10-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure that all of the manufacturers suggest that image stabilization be turned off when using a tripod. Don't ask me why.
10-17-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This should apply to all Pentax cameras and not just the 645z,if your shooting with the remote or mirror lockup the camera is factory set to turn off shake reduction because they assume the camera is on a tripod.The shake reduction is sensor shift and can cause camera shake if used when the camera is perfectly still.I sometimes forget to turn mine off when i put it on a tripod so i'm glad Pentax does this for me when i use the timer.
10-18-2014, 02:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
This should apply to all Pentax cameras and not just the 645z,if your shooting with the remote or mirror lockup the camera is factory set to turn off shake reduction because they assume the camera is on a tripod.The shake reduction is sensor shift and can cause camera shake if used when the camera is perfectly still.I sometimes forget to turn mine off when i put it on a tripod so i'm glad Pentax does this for me when i use the timer.
Quick correction - on the 645Z, the OS is in lens not sensor shift.

10-18-2014, 05:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Quick correction - on the 645Z, the OS is in lens not sensor shift.
But surely you wouldn't need OS when tripod mounted?
10-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
No you are right you don't. But it can be a mind game working out how many changes you have to make to get the OS to work when you primarily use the camera on a tripod.
10-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
No you are right you don't. But it can be a mind game working out how many changes you have to make to get the OS to work when you primarily use the camera on a tripod.
This is where the three user-definable modes come in handy. Store your settings for handheld shooting in U1 and for tripod shooting in U2. Now it's just a twist of a dial - nothing to remember.

10-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I don't have any OS lenses nor a 645z but I think I understand Pentax menus. It seems to me if most of my work was on a tripod I would set as a default OS off (using the switch), SR off (using the Menu).

If I then used the camera in a hand-held situation with an OS lens I would switch the lens. I'd need to remember to check the lens switch whenever I mounted an OS lens - that's a 'personal memory' default.

For a non-OS lens I would switch the camera. If SR-Off is the default Menu setting and the 'Remember Setting' option is enabled, wouldn't merely turning off the camera return it to your default state when you turn it back on? That's a 'camera memory' default.

Maybe I'm missing something.
10-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote

No but you missed my point. Pentax's APS-C DSLRs use sensor shift OS. The 645Z does not have sensor shift OS at all. It's lens based OS.
10-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
This is where the three user-definable modes come in handy. Store your settings for handheld shooting in U1 and for tripod shooting in U2. Now it's just a twist of a dial - nothing to remember.
Good point thanks. I have never had a camera with user modes.

I will set this up, easy.

Cheers
10-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
OK so it's a lens-shift shake reduction system but the same rules apply,if it's turned on while the camera is perfectly still on a tripod the lens shift will cause "shake".Shift is movement and you don't want that when the camera is on a tripod.There is no advantage to using the shake reduction while on a tripod unless your tripod is shaking but there is a disadvantage because the lens-shift is trying to compensate for movement that doesn't exist.