Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2014, 09:46 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Printing / Aluminium 645Z

Hey Guys,

I just thought I would share this picture that I had printed on aluminium at 20''x40''. It is a 9 Shot Pano off my 645Z +DA25mm.

I had only just discovered this Aluminium option and it sings with detail. It truly is like looking at glass, it has a sense of depth.

Was wondering if any one else has tried it. I highly recommend.

Sorry about the Dodgy iPhone shot

Tom.
thomasbrownimages.com

Last edited by Thomasbrowphoto; 12-06-2014 at 03:18 AM.
10-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Thomas,

well it definitely looks great even on the iPhone shot
Where did you have it printed?

BR René

edit: trying to check out your website (www.thomasbrownphoto.com), I got
The DNS server returned: Name Error: The domain name does not exist.
Might want to check into that...
10-20-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know nothin' 'bout no aluminum nor dodgy i-watchamacallits...

But man, that's an awesome photo.

And I'm looking at your website (your link's wrong!) and some of your images are seriously wonderful, so wonderful I just had to bookmark it.

---------- Post added 10-21-14 at 12:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
I ran into the same thing... its Thomas Brown Photography & Images NSW, Australia
10-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I ran into the same thing... its Thomas Brown Photography & Images NSW, Australia
Thanks! @OP - fix that sig, man!

10-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Did they actually print it to the aluminum, or is it metallic photo paper mounted to aluminum? Different places do it different ways. Great shot(s)!
10-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Hi Thomas,

well it definitely looks great even on the iPhone shot
Where did you have it printed?

BR René

Sorry guys, I typed the wrong address. thomasbrownimages.com is the correct one. Thank you for enjoying my work it is much appreciated!
As for the printing, I'm told it is created by a press. I quote from there site "They are printed on a High Gloss Quality Chromaluxe panels. Very vibrant and stunning. The colour reproduction on this media is insane"

They are located on the Goldcoast QLD Australia and do an amazing job. InkFX Printing Australia | Canvas and Photographic Printing Services
10-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just printed 5 16x24 (taken with a K5) on Aluminum. Love it. I also tried one on Silver (as opposed to white) and not as thrilled with this version.

10-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #8

Thomas, it's been resized for the web, I can't really appreciate it. Message me and I'll send you my address so that you can send it to me so that I can check it out fully.

Then I'll send it back........really..........I will.............
10-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
Hey Guys,

I just thought I would share this picture that I had printed on aluminium at 20''x40''. It is a 9 Shot Pano off my 645Z +DA25mm.

I had only just discovered this Aluminium option and it sings with detail. It truly is like looking at glass, it has a sense of depth.

Was wondering if any one else has tried it. I highly recommend.

Sorry about the Dodgy iPhone shot

Tom.
thomasbrownimages.com
Hi Tom,

I have not tried aluminum prints but have seen them plenty of times at photo trade shows. They do have that magical extra dimension and look to them.

Your photography is fantastic. I can see your work being used for high end advertising and editorial applications.

I would like to know more about your technique for your people shots. They seems to be similar to an HDR. I always liked the look of these shots but never talked to anyone who is producing this type of work. Secondly, I am also looking forward to going to the 645z in the next few months. I would like to know what lenses you use other than the 25mm. In preparation for my switch, I have managed to acquire a FA200, FA45-85 and an A120 macro. Do you have any experience with any of these lenses?

Last but not least, if you were to offer workshops in my neck of the woods, I would be interested in attending. I live in Las Vegas. Red Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire are my local hang outs and Zion and Grand Canyon are 3 or so hours away. If you are ever in the neighborhood, give me a heads up. Would like to hang out with you and shoot some of these places.

Thanks,
Boris
10-21-2014, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #10

Great photo Thomas. A ton of your work would look great on this type of print, IMO.

I've used metal prints and really like them as well for certain kinds of work. They have a great combination of colour, detail and a certain extra depth to them as you commented. Most metal printing services seem to be using Chromaluxe; this is a dye transfer process during which the image is first printed on a transfer substrate using a particular type of inks. Then that substrate is placed into a hot press, and the ink is transferred onto the aluminum panel. The oldest ones I have had done still look great (no fading or other issues), and even the high gloss surface (which I prefer) seems to be pretty robust as long as it's not scratched when dusting it off.

For those in the States who'd like to try this, online printing services like Bay Photo, Mpix and others will do them. My personal choice is Image Wizards in North Carolina. I have no connection other than being a happy customer...
10-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
well done Thomas. That looks terrific!

---------- Post added 10-21-2014 at 11:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Royce Howland Quote
Great photo Thomas. A ton of your work would look great on this type of print, IMO.

I've used metal prints and really like them as well for certain kinds of work. They have a great combination of colour, detail and a certain extra depth to them as you commented. Most metal printing services seem to be using Chromaluxe; this is a dye transfer process during which the image is first printed on a transfer substrate using a particular type of inks. Then that substrate is placed into a hot press, and the ink is transferred onto the aluminum panel. The oldest ones I have had done still look great (no fading or other issues), and even the high gloss surface (which I prefer) seems to be pretty robust as long as it's not scratched when dusting it off.

For those in the States who'd like to try this, online printing services like Bay Photo, Mpix and others will do them. My personal choice is Image Wizards in North Carolina. I have no connection other than being a happy customer...
thanks for this input Royce.
I have just recently started offering metal prints and have so far used 4 vendors: Bay, Mpix, McKenna, and iVoke. Each a little different but quality very high from all. I was curious what the fading situation might be since I just hung a large metal family photo on a sunlit wall...when it fades, time to shoot an updated photo, i guess.

So far, i have ordered all of these prints to have the white base coat and (high gloss) simply because I do not know how the plain metal base looks. Can anyone comment on when the bare metal base might be recommended or share any experience with one type over the other?

Last edited by mikeSF; 10-21-2014 at 11:14 AM.
10-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Hi Tom,

I have not tried aluminum prints but have seen them plenty of times at photo trade shows. They do have that magical extra dimension and look to them.

Your photography is fantastic. I can see your work being used for high end advertising and editorial applications.

I would like to know more about your technique for your people shots. They seems to be similar to an HDR. I always liked the look of these shots but never talked to anyone who is producing this type of work. Secondly, I am also looking forward to going to the 645z in the next few months. I would like to know what lenses you use other than the 25mm. In preparation for my switch, I have managed to acquire a FA200, FA45-85 and an A120 macro. Do you have any experience with any of these lenses?

Last but not least, if you were to offer workshops in my neck of the woods, I would be interested in attending. I live in Las Vegas. Red Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire are my local hang outs and Zion and Grand Canyon are 3 or so hours away. If you are ever in the neighborhood, give me a heads up. Would like to hang out with you and shoot some of these places.

Thanks,
Boris
Thanks Boris,
Those portrait images are composites. BG and person shot seperately.I firstly shoot a scene in HDR then I will take the subject into the studio and re create the light with studio lights/strobes. Then I place the person into the scene and do further adjustments to mesh the two together. Thats the quick answer.

As for the 645Z... it is a brilliant camera. I also acquired the 45-85FA and the FA120 before I had the camera along with the 35A lens. I primarily used the 35mm and the 120mm and then the 45-85 on rare occasions. But that is only because I shoot a lot of landscapes. They are all insanely sharp lenses, particularly the 120.

Man I would love to shoot Vegas.. so I will keep that in mind if Im over in the States. I was there last september for a week or so. But because I'm in Australia it may be a while before Im back.

Cheers ,Tom

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 09:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GarethC7 Quote
Thomas, it's been resized for the web, I can't really appreciate it. Message me and I'll send you my address so that you can send it to me so that I can check it out fully.

Then I'll send it back........really..........I will.............
Hahaha, Cant blame a guy for trying. :-)

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 09:40 AM ----------

Thanks Royce, Im glad to hear you have had good results on this particular medium. :-)

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 09:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
well done Thomas. That looks terrific![COLOR="Silver"]
Thanks Mike!
10-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
So far, i have ordered all of these prints to have the white base coat and (high gloss) simply because I do not know how the plain metal base looks. Can anyone comment on when the bare metal base might be recommended or share any experience with one type over the other?
The plain metal / no white base imparts a silvery metallic look to the image. Anywhere pure white in the image will show pure metal silver, lighter-toned colours will be silvery washed, and so on down to the deepest-toned colours and blacks which more or less maintain their normal colour. So the plain metal base is not for everything, but many images will look great using it -- cars, buildings, anything metallic / glass / shiny / reflective. Also many B&W images look great on plain metal, becoming sort of like a modern tintype.
10-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

In Europe, WhiteWall do aluminium prints.

Great shot Thomas and definitely worth printing big!
10-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The plain metal / no white base imparts a silvery metallic look to the image. Anywhere pure white in the image will show pure metal silver, lighter-toned colours will be silvery washed, and so on down to the deepest-toned colours and blacks which more or less maintain their normal colour. So the plain metal base is not for everything, but many images will look great using it -- cars, buildings, anything metallic / glass / shiny / reflective. Also many B&W images look great on plain metal, becoming sort of like a modern tintype.
thanks and i get it now. I may order a small one then to try.