Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #16
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Not interested in zooms, you should be in the new 28-45, its a gem.

My view on lenses is like this, if you have a weather sealed kit, but have to change lenses, whats the point? Cant change lenses in the rain really.
Great point! Not much of a foul weather photographer. That could change in the future though. The lens coverage would be perfect for my needs. The 25mm may be a little much.

From what I've read thus far the usable range of the 645z is 100-6400 which would more than make up for the minimum 2.8-4 of some lenses.

So how is the speed of the auto focus on the newer lenses? Could go back to film days to zone focus for event work. Think the files would be over kill.

---------- Post added 10-27-14 at 11:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
OP, there's a good bit of info in the lens reviews section. I recommend you go through those if you haven't already.
In my experience shooting with the 645D, my favorite lenses are DFA25, A35, DFA55, A120Macro. I find the A45 and A75 to be decent, perhaps not as stunning as the aforementioned.
I also use some 67 lenses on the 645D: SMC105 and M*300 and they both perform superbly on that format.
To your other question, I do not find the 35 to be wide enough for interiors, definitely want to try to get a 25.
Good luck and have fun shopping!
Now that I have the knowledge of 6x7 glass will work with 645 via an adapter that opens up a new set of lenses to look into. Really want something in the 70-120 range for portrait work. 150-180 may be a little long for my needs. Like the 25mm may be a little on the wide side. The beauty of a file this size one can always crop to taste. When I shot 6x6 film did most of my work with a 60, 80 and 120 then digital came along.

Lens review has been helpful. Went there before posting.

10-30-2014, 01:19 AM   #17
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 42
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I do yes. It was between that or the 25 and it won for the zoom, OS and the filter thread.

I am taking more handheld shots now with the OS too. The lens is sharp with little CA.

No difference between it and the 25, but it's more flexible. I now have my kit down to a 28-45 and 80-160 and am waiting on the replacement for that too.

Some say that with the 25 you can zoom with your feet, I can step back a meter and get the 25 fov too, plus I can zoom in on those times when you can't step forward.

Whatever works for you, I shot with primes for a long time with leica so I learnt the composition thing then but moved on now.
Thanks. I will buy 28-45. On 80-160 I am not so sure, I would like to have f/2.8 or even more, so I will stick to my 55 and 90, althought not much happy with 55. I am very interested in new lenses, hope they come soon :-)
11-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #18
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 91
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I do yes. It was between that or the 25 and it won for the zoom, OS and the filter thread.

I am taking more handheld shots now with the OS too. The lens is sharp with little CA.

No difference between it and the 25, but it's more flexible. I now have my kit down to a 28-45 and 80-160 and am waiting on the replacement for that too.

Some say that with the 25 you can zoom with your feet, I can step back a meter and get the 25 fov too, plus I can zoom in on those times when you can't step forward.

Whatever works for you, I shot with primes for a long time with leica so I learnt the composition thing then but moved on now.
You say there is no difference between the 25 and the zoom, do you actually own, or owned the 25 to make the comparison? Or you are just assuming there is no difference? I'm asking because I own the 25 and the reasons you mention that made you go for the zoom are totally valid for me, but I have yet to see a zoom with the same optical quality of a prime..
11-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 868
QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Wolansky Quote
but I have yet to see a zoom with the same optical quality of a prime..
Ahhh, then you have never met the 55-100 zoom for the 6x7.

11-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 585
QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Wolansky Quote
You say there is no difference between the 25 and the zoom, do you actually own, or owned the 25 to make the comparison? Or you are just assuming there is no difference? I'm asking because I own the 25 and the reasons you mention that made you go for the zoom are totally valid for me, but I have yet to see a zoom with the same optical quality of a prime..
Yes I have the 28-45 and also a good friend has the 25 and we have been on several trips using it. Comparing the shots, other than focal length I would say that I feel the zoom is actually better. But that is more of a feeling rather than substantiated claim.

Using filters is a big plus for me. For my friend not so much as he does heavy processing and blending and not much long exposure work, whereas I love long exposures.
11-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #21
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 91
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Yes I have the 28-45 and also a good friend has the 25 and we have been on several trips using it. Comparing the shots, other than focal length I would say that I feel the zoom is actually better. But that is more of a feeling rather than substantiated claim.

Using filters is a big plus for me. For my friend not so much as he does heavy processing and blending and not much long exposure work, whereas I love long exposures.
Thanks! Looking forward to see it. I have a good amount of 100mm filters that I would love to use without having to make strange experiments to mount them. But is kind of redundant I think to keep the 25 and the zoom. I think the zoom is a newer release right? so it might be better glass....

---------- Post added 11-07-14 at 07:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Ahhh, then you have never met the 55-100 zoom for the 6x7.
No I have not... I'm pretty new to the medium format, coming from Canon L glass, and actually seen over the time zooms that are better than primes, like the new Canon 24-70 L II, whn compared with the 24 L, it is way better, but is also way newer :-)))))
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, 645z lenses, camera, canon, change, chips, da, days, fa, film, filters, focus, friend, glass, lens, lenses, love, medium format, pentax, pentax glass, range, weather
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
old lens for 645z adwb Pentax Medium Format 13 10-24-2014 06:43 PM
Pentax 645Z (and 645D) for rent !? formercanuck Pentax Medium Format 5 09-10-2014 11:54 AM
My Wish List for 645Z harumo Pentax Medium Format 2 09-06-2014 02:50 PM
Pentax 645Z Available for Pre-Order - $8499 Adam Pentax Price Watch 27 07-10-2014 12:28 AM
SD cards for the 645Z Thomasbrowphoto Pentax Medium Format 5 07-07-2014 11:59 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:21 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top