Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Extension tubes... Info out there is a bit vague.

Hi! I'm trying to get some extension tubes for the 645z, but I can't really find any useful information on what to buy or where? Is there none that have the aperture coupling and the electronic lens information? I find rather extrange that such expensive lenses need an external mechanism to control the aperture...

10-25-2014, 04:12 AM   #2

The lens is downgraded with Pentax extension tubes to an "A" - lens.
Everything works except auto-focus and image-stabilization.
(The Pentax bellows has no coupling & electronic contacts)

-Linus-

Last edited by -Linus-; 10-25-2014 at 04:20 AM.
10-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So that a lens that does not have an aperture ring like the 90mm macro you will be forced to use it as an f2.8 all the time? I've seen a post somewhere that there is a set of extension tubes that have the coupling extension for contorting the aperture, but I can't find anything useful about where to actually buy that.
10-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #4

Probably with No-Name tubes, but the Pentax tubes do have coupling.
With the 90mm macro plus tubes there is no shake reduction!
The aperture can be set like normal.
BTW. a leaf-shutter lens with extension tubes plus flash give nice macro results.
The A-55mm with reverse-adapter has the highest magnification.
The D-FA 55mm will work only on F 2.8 with reverse-adapter.

-Linus-

10-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My camera is mounted in a very solid camera stand, so I don't really need the stabilization, what I find weird is that it is pretty impossible to find these things, like I have spent hours searching, even called Pentax, and came with no answer. The only thing I can find is a set of 3 auto tubes for the 67 camera, which if I'm not wrong, it is an entirely different mount than the Pentax 645, so probably not what I need.
10-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #6

Last year I bought a full set of 645 extension tubes on eBay, in excellent condition with case, for about $80. If there are none listed now I am sure that more will show up.
10-28-2014, 04:57 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
There is a set for sale now on just about $600!!!!!!

10-28-2014, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Wolansky Quote
There is a set for sale now on just about $600!!!!!!
Hi, Victor

A while back I posted how odd I thought it was that , given the professional quality of the new camera, and the old ones for that matter, it was so difficult to get a hold of accessories a professional might need, such as different focusing screens. I got slightly spanked by several members who suggested that wasn't the case. So, here we are again....It definitely is the case. Plus we have some not so great tales about service in North America, especially the U.S.

I went to an event in August at Ace Photo where the Z was being demo'd. I spoke to the Pentax marketing manager ---nice guy---about some of this and he acknowledged the truth of it privately. He also told me there would be no Pentax presence at Photo Expo this year, suggesting they were spread to thin monetarily after Photokina. I expressed my shock.

So, what we have here is a truly great product at a decent, fair price point---that even relative paupers like me can get to if willing to endure the pain---that lacks the full support it needs. I am hoping that the unexpected popularity of the camera, the great reviews, and the hints that Ricoh might be taking things more seriously (like the big banner ad recently running across the top of DPR!) will mean that the support will be forthcoming next year.

Time for a letter writing campaign? Maybe....