Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Heck, I shoot my 6x7 with a waist level finder and no light meter if it is outside and daytime ( sunny 11 rule) and get great exposures. It is pretty easy with negative film.

10-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Without a doubt, sunny 11 or 16, (depending on the time of year and time of day) works well with print film. Slide film is another matter. I was lucky enough to buy a brand new Pentax labeled TTL for one of my 67s six years ago. It is accurate but my older Asahi TTLs drift and have to be calibrated with either a handheld meter or my proven Pentax TTL meter. Buying any used TTL meter for the 67 is a problem. Using an uncalibrated TTL and slide film can waste lots of your time with missed exposures.
10-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I do not apply any loony "rules" to exposure, neither the "Sunny 16" or the "Loony 11" . My exposures on Velvia 50 and Provia 100 have to be very accurate as they are produced for exhibition and sale. There is no margin for error with transparency film, and hence the spot meter and a retinue of long-established and refined methods are employed over the TTL meter. On occasion in difficult light I have removed the TTL meter entirely and composed on the focusing screen. That said, the TTL meter does find use occasionally at dusk (for exposures above 1 second), chiefly for "grab shots" where the outcome is not so critical (all critical work having been completed!). Calibration of an on-camera meter is less important than understanding fundamental skills in manual exposure and using them in stronger preference over technology that is essentially does not know what it is looking at and doesn't care. Leave the camera to its own devices if and when you want to, but the serious stuff ought be done with a separate meter.
10-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #19
Pentaxian

If there is 15 stops of light in a scene and your slide film can only capture 9 or 10 stops you will either blow the highlights or shadows or both. What is the correct exposure? There isn't one. It is a choice you will have to make. And the sunny 11 or 16 rule works the same slide film or not.

The rule places your shadows 4 or so stops below your middle gray and that applicable to positive film just the same as negative. If you wanted more highlights you would adjust naturally.

10-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If there is 15 stops of light in a scene and your slide film can only capture 9 or 10 stops you will either blow the highlights or shadows or both. What is the correct exposure? There isn't one. It is a choice you will have to make. And the sunny 11 or 16 rule works the same slide film or not.

The rule places your shadows 4 or so stops below your middle gray and that applicable to positive film just the same as negative. If you wanted more highlights you would adjust naturally.

I don't as a matter of routine and refinement, blow highlights or block up shadows: I work well within the film's range, in conditions it was designed for.
As for "correct exposure", the correct exposure is the one which the photographer judges to be satisfactory for the scene and his own preferences.
10-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
It's good advice, but for a lot of people, beginners especially, relying on the TTL meter may be their only course early on. I have the 67 TTL meter in-situ; only very occasionally do I rely on it. 99.9% of the time I use multispot/incident/duplex metering for very precise results on transparency. I don't play games.
My 67 TTL was boxed and in mint condition when I bought it, but it only works when an AUTO lens is set to MANUAL. Itís very accurate, but having to stop down to meter is a pain on AUTO lenses.

I finally gave up and now use hand held meters with my 6x7 and 67 bodies. My 67ii and AE meter work fine, so no issues there. The six point matrix metering mode works well with slide film.

Phil.

---------- Post added 10-29-14 at 04:40 PM ----------

If there is 15 stops of light in a scene and your slide film can only capture 9 or 10 stops you will either blow the highlights or shadows or both. What is the correct exposure?
I use the IRE scale on my Spotmeter V for slide film and it works very well.

You can meter either the high light or shadow and you have everything exposed correctly in a 5 EV range.

Phil.
10-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
My 67 TTL was boxed and in mint condition when I bought it, but it only works when an AUTO lens is set to MANUAL. Itís very accurate, but having to stop down to meter is a pain on AUTO lenses.

I finally gave up and now use hand held meters with my 6x7 and 67 bodies. My 67ii and AE meter work fine, so no issues there. The six point matrix metering mode works well with slide film.

Phil.

What is that about? Where the TTL meter only works with the lens set to manual?? I have not even seen that, not on my 67 meter, or others'. There was another post here I came across about something to do with a meter needle operating in reverse to indicate correct exposure. Goodness, I'd toss the thing if such confusing behaviour presented!
10-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I use the IRE scale on my Spotmeter V for slide film and it works very well.

You can meter either the high light or shadow and you have everything exposed correctly in a 5 EV range.

Phil.
So you are clipping both your shadows and highlights with that average metering method when outdoors in the Sun.

---------- Post added 10-29-14 at 17:13 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
I don't as a matter of routine and refinement, blow highlights or block up shadows: I work well within the film's range, in conditions it was designed for.
As for "correct exposure", the correct exposure is the one which the photographer judges to be satisfactory for the scene and his own preferences.
I don't know since you never post any pictures here!

So you are taking pictures low dynamic range conditions then. How limiting and such a narrow scope of photography.

10-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

So you are clipping both your shadows and highlights with that average metering method when outdoors in the Sun.

---------- Post added 10-29-14 at 17:13 ----------

I don't know since you never post any pictures here!

So you are taking pictures low dynamic range conditions then. How limiting and such a narrow scope of photography.

Sorry, wrong on both counts.
10-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #25
Site Supporter

It works fine, check your Spotmeter manual for details. (Pages 14-17)

You shoot slide film for different reasons like the finer grain & colour reproduction than C41. Much better for projecting and enlargements, than C41 as well.

Also slide film has that ďlookĒ that C41 or digital canít produce. Listen to Kodachrome by Paul Simon again, he explains it nicely.

Of course Kodak has changed things the last few years, by nuking all slide film and improving their C41 film. Still for me Iíll stick to E6 any day over C41. Looking forward to the new E6 coming from Ferannia.

Phil.
10-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #26

People obsess way too much about perfect exposures. TTL meters are perfectly OK if you understand what your meter's doing internally. You just have to compensate for the difference between the AVERAGE brightness of your shot and the specific zone you want to place the exposure in.

Yes, even for slide film. If you're really bad at metering - bracket your exposure. My experience is that once you understand what your meter's doing, instead of just blindly centering the meter, it's pretty darn accurate.

For print film, there's really no need for a meter at all. Sunny f/11 is more than enough to shoot good exposures with. Sometimes that even works on a slide film, although I'd definitely bracket there if I cared about the exposure.
10-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #27
Veteran Member

It works fine, check your Spotmeter manual for details. (Pages 14-17)

You shoot slide film for different reasons like the finer grain & colour reproduction than C41. Much better for projecting and enlargements, than C41 as well.

Also slide film has that ďlookĒ that C41 or digital canít produce. Listen to Kodachrome by Paul Simon again, he explains it nicely.

Of course Kodak has changed things the last few years, by nuking all slide film and improving their C41 film. Still for me Iíll stick to E6 any day over C41. Looking forward to the new E6 coming from Ferannia.

Phil.

My transparency work is 100% printing (analogue-to-digital hybridized). No projection. Just print, frame and sell.
I'm looking forward to seeing the goodies from Ferrania too, very especially E6, but generally whatever they are planning. We do want to see a return for our financial investment. It's an interesting, if bold undertaking. The world does need a bit more variety.
10-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #28

Original Poster
Ok, I get it.. I have had this camera for 14 years using it with 67 prism and hand held meter. I guess that is still the best way to go. Actually the TTL seemed to add extra bulk to the camera and did not seem to seat as nicely into the camera as does the 67 prism.
I do very much like this camera.

---------- Post added 10-29-14 at 11:26 PM ----------

Ok, I get it.. I have had this camera for 14 years using it with 67 prism and hand held meter. I guess that is still the best way to go. Actually the TTL seemed to add extra bulk to the camera and did not seem to seat as nicely into the camera as does the 67 prism.
I do very much like this camera.
10-30-2014, 04:33 AM   #29

Original Poster
Will the Pentax 67ii ttl prism fit the 67? I would guess probably not..
10-30-2014, 01:18 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flathead Quote
Will the Pentax 67ii ttl prism fit the 67? I would guess probably not..
Nope the AE prism will only work on the 67ii and the older TTL prism will not work on the 67ii.

The 67ii is a completely redesigned camera, meter wise.

Phil.