Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2014, 05:44 AM   #1

Pentax 6*7 ttl meter

Hello,

I have just added a Pentax 67 TTL Prism Finder 6x7 to my 67. I am not able to get it to operate, needle just stays at the top of the metering frame. Battery in camera is good.
Any thoughts or suggestions? This should activate right away correct? I removed the lens and meter prism but nothing.

Thanks, flathead

10-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
There's a little switch on the side that you have to push to get the meter to activate, it only stays on for a few seconds at a time.
10-28-2014, 07:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
We are talking about the little on/off switch on the top of the meter head? I have turned that on and off a bunch of times but nothing...
10-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flathead Quote
We are talking about the little on/off switch on the top of the meter head? I have turned that on and off a bunch of times but nothing...
... did you remove the lens before you put the prism on?
there is a sequence you need to follow...

10-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If your TTL is not activating, the needle should be on the bottom of the window, not the top. It could be that your ASA dial is set in the upper range and so all readings are pinned to the top of the window, indicating way overexposure. There have been some TTLs that were reversed, in that the needle was at the top of the window when not activated or when underexposed. This is rare though. Remember that the TTL has a working range and if you are outside of it, the meter will not activate. An example is setting the ASA to 800 and the shutter speed to 1/8 second or slower.
10-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
I did remove the lens, followed directions from a instruction manual that I found online.
Should the f-ring be linked to a tab in front of the focus screen? Nothing happens when I move the f-ring back and forth. Regardless there should be some movement of the needle when the meter is switched on and off??

---------- Post added 10-28-14 at 02:22 PM ----------

This meter prism is I think an earlier one "Asahi Pentax" on the front. The prism that was originally on the camera just said "Pentax". Does that make a difference? Is the earlier a 6*7 and the later 67?
10-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The bodies that had 6x7 on them had the Asahi Pentax or Honeywell Pentax finders. The bodies with 67 are newer and had the Pentax finder. The older Asahi and Honeywell finders are now becoming inaccurate with age.

10-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #8

Check with a Multimeter that teh body really gives its Voltage Supply to the Prism. Last time I had problems was when I purchsed a 6x7 and put my 67 TTL-Prism on to it... and found the transmitter chain broken.
10-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #9

Original Poster
I put a voltmeter on the 2 end terminals of the body? There are 3 near the back of the body,not sure that the middle terminal connects to anything.
10-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
I am getting 6 volts between the left and center terminals(looking from the back of the camera), nothing between the right and left terminals. The prism seems to make contact with the 2 outside terminals.
10-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you tried metering with the lens in stop-down metering (lens Auto/Man switch in 'Man')?

I have two bodies and two prisms (bought as pairs):
- P67 with 'Asahi' metering prism - this meters from the bottom up in both Auto & Man.
- P6x7 MLU with 'Asahi' metering prism - this meters from the top down BUT only in Man.

The two body/prism combinations seem to meter similar values, but swapping the prisms & bodies results in neither of them metering at all.

Last edited by johnha; 10-28-2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Minor tweak
10-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Have you tried metering with the lens in stop-down metering (lens Auto/Man switch in 'Man')?

I have two bodies and two prisms (bought as pairs):
- P67 with 'Asahi' metering prism - this meters from the bottom up in both Auto & Man.
- P6x7 MLU with 'Asahi' metering prism - this meters from the top down BUT only in Man.

The two body/prism combinations seem to meter similar values, but swapping the prisms & bodies results in neither of them metering at all.
Switching to Man. did show some activity on the meter. With asa 100 and f22 @ 250 in room light. The meter needle started at the top with meter off and jumped off the screen when I turned on the meter.
Sounds like the prism/meter may have issues.

---------- Post added 10-28-14 at 09:39 PM ----------

Would I be likely to have better luck with a 67 meter?
10-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Invest in a new Pentax 67 TTL meter. It is too speculative for anybody to diagnose what the problem or fault is without actually seeing the camera.
10-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flathead Quote
Would I be likely to have better luck with a 67 meter?
These 6x7/67 TTL meters are hit and miss. When they work they are accurate, however they cause unnecessary grief.

Liberate yourself and ditch the ttl metered prism and get one of the non metered prism/finders & a handheld light meter.

You’ll never look back.

Phil.

PS the 67ii & AE metered prism are a totally redesigned beast and do work very well.
10-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
These 6x7/67 TTL meters are hit and miss. When they work they are accurate, however they cause unnecessary grief.

Liberate yourself and ditch the ttl metered prism and get one of the non metered prism/finders & a handheld light meter.

You’ll never look back.

Phil.

PS the 67ii & AE metered prism are a totally redesigned beast and do work very well.
It's good advice, but for a lot of people, beginners especially, relying on the TTL meter may be their only course early on. I have the 67 TTL meter in-situ; only very occasionally do I rely on it. 99.9% of the time I use multispot/incident/duplex metering for very precise results on transparency. I don't play games.