Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #1

SLR or TLR

In recent months i've exposed about 20 rolls with a Yashica D and Zeiss Ikoflex 1B. Neither is complimented with the 4 element lenses that were available for an extra 20 bucks or so back in 58". Novar-Anastigmat 75mm 3.5 on the 1B is soft in the corners at all apertures, Yashikor 80mm 3.5 seems a little better all-around. Both cameras tend to have intermittently sticky shutters and are not worth the cost of a tune-up, so i've been eyeballing Ricoh Diacord G, L and Ricohmatic 225; right alongside Pentax 67.
Not too concerned about weight and rarely bothered by a fixed focal length. I shoot mostly landscapes and snapshot/street portraits when i stroll around the city. One of the main reasons for excluding Rolleiflex, Autocord, Hasselblad etc is the Pentax/Ricoh photo contest rules: Yes i realize that without detailed EXIF data snitching me off i could easily cheat?!

11-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 67 is going to give you the most options.
For me, the priorities would be format first, lens quality and selection second, brand third.
And looking at it that way, Pentax 67 would still be my choice (because I already have Pentax 645, Mamiya 6x6, and Kodak 6x9).
11-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ok, any harm in saving a few bucks with an early 6X7 model
11-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the older 67 bodies you don't get a mirror lock-up option.

11-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Pentax only had a couple of 6x7 lenses with only four elements. That was just minimal in correcting aberrations. Five elements gives the designer two more surfaces to use to improve the image. Most 67 lenses have more than 5. The lenses for the 67 are really world class and designed for pro use.

Buying the older 6x7 can be a problem, especially considering that these cameras do wear out. Stick with the newer versions.
11-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The older the 6x7, the greater the likelihood for a fault to develop through old age, and it can be tedious to organise repairs. The 67 is my choice, having carefully considered a TLR much earlier on in the piece (2009) — I was a bit turned off by the old-fashioned modus-operandi of Yashica Mat TLRs, among others. Go for the later vintage 67 bodies from 1991 onward. The 1969 vintage bodies (6x7) frequently show up with the greatest number of problems through old age, neglect, rough treatment or just plain worn out and are not a good equipment choice except to play around with, certainly not to trust your very best efforts to.
11-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #7

I love TLRs but an SLR does have advantages a newer Pentax 67 or 67 II is a good choice.