Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
Inactive Account

No so good live view....

So far I like everything about the 645Z, except the live view auto gain, it there any way to turn off the auto gain and make the live view represent the reality? I use it mostly in a studio where the flashes have tracking continuous light, and if any of the lights is pout ing to the camera, or my BG is too bright, the brightness of the BG will just make the subject to look totally underexposed, more like a black silhouette, I have used mutliple cameras, 5D MKIII, 1DX, Sony A7R, and no one have this problem, if the BG is overexposed, it will just be a white thing, but it will not drive the whole screen down to compensate and make the rest just pure black.... Really annoying.

11-03-2014, 01:00 AM   #2
Forum Member

Not familiar with medium format, but aren't there auto-exposure metering settings? I know on the K-30, you can select spot AE metering, so that it exposes on the focus spot, not the background.
11-03-2014, 01:33 AM   #3

curious about that too

Yes, I noticed that too. I'd prefer a display that's not exposure adjusted as well. However, for anything that's slower then 1/50th of a second, I imagine there is no way around it anyway (assuming LV has about 20 frames per second). But for anything faster, I'd rather see what my chosen settings would give me - as sometimes we intentionally underexpose an image.
11-03-2014, 01:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

This is a PENTAX problem by the looks. I have the same issue with the K-50 and the K-01.
Sometimes I don't think PENTAX understand photographers.

11-03-2014, 02:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
This is a PENTAX problem by the looks. I have the same issue with the K-50 and the K-01.
Sometimes I don't think PENTAX understand photographers.
People are complaining about the issue since the K-7...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/275153-omg-k-50-sucks-moon-shots-2.html
11-03-2014, 02:43 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Wolansky Quote
So far I like everything about the 645Z, except the live view auto gain, it there any way to turn off the auto gain and make the live view represent the reality? I use it mostly in a studio where the flashes have tracking continuous light, and if any of the lights is pout ing to the camera, or my BG is too bright, the brightness of the BG will just make the subject to look totally underexposed, more like a black silhouette, I have used mutliple cameras, 5D MKIII, 1DX, Sony A7R, and no one have this problem, if the BG is overexposed, it will just be a white thing, but it will not drive the whole screen down to compensate and make the rest just pure black.... Really annoying.
On the 645Z (unlike other current Pentax bodies) there is no auto gain in M mode (and only in M mode). Would have been nice to have it as an option in the other modes, but hey, at least it's there.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-03-2014, 02:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
On the 645Z (unlike other current Pentax bodies) there is no auto gain in M mode (and only in M mode). Would have been nice to have it as an option in the other modes, but hey, at least it's there.
That's one heck of a step forward. It's a simple thing to put as a menu option, unless there is some coding entangled around it making it hard to change.
11-03-2014, 04:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Yes that was my thread (You probably knew this?)
The K-7 was fine. I have no K-5 experience.
And people are complaining because it's not a useful feature. OK

11-03-2014, 04:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Yes that was my thread (You probably knew this?)
The K-7 was fine. I have no K-5 experience.
And people are complaining because it's not a useful feature. OK
Yep, BTW I find it annoying as well on the K-01...
Should't be too difficult to include as an option in the firmware. I believe the difficult part is making the camera behave as it does now (with all the stopping down dance that this entails)...
11-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm using M mode, since in a studio with controlled lighting, it still having auto gain , if I add more light in my background, then the piece I'm photographing just becomes a black spot, even if I change the metering, to spot mode and the piece is in the very center, the thing changes all the time, it makes adjusting lights position with the live view almost impossible.

Is there any way to get Pentax attention to this huge flaw for a camera of this kind? There should be a user controllable gain.

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 06:57 AM ----------

And by the way, I'm talking about live view for stills, not for video.
11-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Wolansky Quote
There should be a user controllable gain.
Although I haven't tested and verified this, I think the auto-gain doesn't function when an external monitor (eg Lilliput 7 inch field monitor) is connected via HDMI.
11-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #12

The fact that live view kind of sucks is one of the few things actually wrong with the 645z. The D800/e sucked the same, which is why Nikon had to fix it on the D810.

Has anyone tried running Liveview to an external HD video monitor thru the HDMI? That might be a bit better for 100% magnification.
11-04-2014, 06:28 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
The fact that live view kind of sucks is one of the few things actually wrong with the 645z. The D800/e sucked the same, which is why Nikon had to fix it on the D810.

Has anyone tried running Liveview to an external HD video monitor thru the HDMI? That might be a bit better for 100% magnification.
I'm sorry, but you are wrong, the auto gain still ruins it, not matter what, even with the external monitor. And it is extremely wrong, as I work with high contrast subjects, like a black glass as BG reflecting a white spot, and a small piece of jewelry, sometimes either the piece looks totally overexposed or the BG completely vanishes, and when moving the camera around for adjusting position, there are moments that the live view goes totally black. Both Sony A7R and Canon had this right, I'm not expecting to see the same as the final photo, but getting something similar, also as flashes like the ones I use track the power of the flash with the live continuous light, the stepping down should not be an issue, since at the moment of firing, the light is much more intense than that live continuous modeling light. I'm going to start calling Pentax about this, you should all do the same, this is not a cheap camera to suffer such problem. Live view is an essential tool for studio use.
11-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #14
Pentaxian

OK, if the auto-gain is active in LiveView, and is also active when connecting an external monitor (which must be an oversight), that leaves two other possible options :

- 645Z 'Image Transmitter 2' software. Doesn't that support LiveView? Maybe that works better
- LiveView via the FluCard O-FC1 card app?
11-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
OK, if the auto-gain is active in LiveView, and is also active when connecting an external monitor (which must be an oversight), that leaves two other possible options :

- 645Z 'Image Transmitter 2' software. Doesn't that support LiveView? Maybe that works better
- LiveView via the FluCard O-FC1 card app?
Have to try the software, the problem with that is the live view provided it is super tiny, I work connected to a 42 inches monitor. I guess I will start calling Pentax about this.