Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #1

645z low shutter noise reduction problem

hi, can some one advise about switch OFF the noise reduction while using low shutter speed?
since i couldn't find from the menu system.
Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LG-F300S  Photo 
11-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
fap

QuoteOriginally posted by ss99 Quote
hi, can some one advise about switch OFF the noise reduction while using low shutter speed?
Thanks!
Unlike the other Pentax cameras I am not aware that this can be turned off in 645Z......
11-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ss99 Quote
Thanks!
Fap is correct, slow shutter speed noise reduction cannot be turned off on the 645Z.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Does Slow Shutter Speed NR apply when you shoot RAW, or is it just a JPEG thing?

11-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It applies to RAW as well. At least in the 645Z, it can be set to 'On' or 'Auto', which means that it does not take place in all circumstances. On the 645D, it had 'On' and 'Off' settings, but 'Off' did not turn it off in most situations, which was very frustrating.

Auto seems to depend on algorithms based on three variables: exposure duration, ISO and temperature. I have found that in most situations in which I would want to avoid the dark frame being shot, there is a combination of ISO and exposure length that avoids the dark frame (which certainly was not the case with the 645D). For example, with star trails, I can certainly shoot consecutive frames without a gap. Beyond those limits, the dark frame is probably necessary for quality in any case. Beware the temperature variable! I have found certain exposure parameters to avoid dark frames on one day and not on another (when it was warmer). So it needs experimentation on any given occasion.

It would be nice if it could be turned off - and I would like that very much. But that's not the case. I would urge a little trial and error to see what combination of exposure length and ISO you can get away with in a given situation.

Good luck!

Ed
11-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

In this forum there are discussions of the hidden debug modes that are available for various Pentaxes. One of the debug options for some bodies was to turn off dark frame subtraction on cameras that didn't let you disable DFS in the main menu.

I bet that lurking within the 645Z is a debug menu option to allow DFS to be turned completely off.