Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #1

25/4 and grads

As I move inexorably down the path towards owning one the one nagging concern is the lack of filter threads on the front. I see a few photographers have achieved wonderful results in terms of dynamic range, ably assisted I'm sure by the tolerances of the 645Z and I read about Hark Lee's adventures in Home Depot making his own set up. However, if I have to go to the trouble of making something to hold one filter then I may as well just hold it.

Can I ask those who won this lens what they do; don't use greds, hand hold, cut and grind a diy solution? Any other solution?

11-07-2014, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I built my own filter holder, much like hark lee, using a Cokin Z turned backwards, but instead used a rubber PVC (plumbing joint) that I cut with a box knife. I felt rubber was less likely to break in my camera bag than plastic and it fit perfectly over the 25mms lens hood. The gap between the filter holder and rubber joint was filled with a self adhesive window/door seal and everything was affixed using self adhesive Velcro so it could be taken apart if need be.

photo 1 - Ryan Tischer's Album: MISC - PentaxForums.com
11-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I was about to do the same, but by buying the cap of the lens separately and cutting the top... I guess this is less expensive. Any vigneting?
11-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Wolansky Quote
I was about to do the same, but by buying the cap of the lens separately and cutting the top... I guess this is less expensive. Any vigneting?
No vignetting as long as you make sure the filter is pushed all the way onto the lens. Holds 1 4x6 filter.

11-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GarethC7 Quote
Can I ask those who won this lens what they do; don't use greds, hand hold, cut and grind a diy solution? Any other solution?

i stopped using grads in favor of exposure blending.
I was however quite impressed with Hark Lee's DIY solution.
good luck!
11-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
I blend exposures too but much prefer to do it in camera as I just don't know enough about blending and end up using LREnfuse which is a great application but sometimes haloes a bit I find.

---------- Post added 11-07-14 at 02:14 PM ----------

Thanks for this Ryan, do you think you could post a couple more photos when you get the chance, it looks like I may have to become a plumbing expert at Home Depot!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
I built my own filter holder, much like hark lee, using a Cokin Z turned backwards, but instead used a rubber PVC (plumbing joint) that I cut with a box knife. I felt rubber was less likely to break in my camera bag than plastic and it fit perfectly over the 25mms lens hood. The gap between the filter holder and rubber joint was filled with a self adhesive window/door seal and everything was affixed using self adhesive Velcro so it could be taken apart if need be.

photo 1 - Ryan Tischer's Album: MISC - PentaxForums.com
11-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #7

The Hitech Lucroit filter system has developed a specific adaptor ring that now fits the 645 25 f4, i think the grad filters are 165mm X 200mm. as far as i know its the only system specifically designed to cover this lens in this format but to kit yourself out with the holder adaptor and required filters expect to pay.