Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #1

Manual mode not manual!?

Hi,

I'm using the 645z in studio, but would like to drag the shutter (1/30s instead of the native X-sync speed). So I used M mode. However, the camera changes my chosen exposure time (1/30s) after each shot, as if it was trying to compensate. Instead it drives my crazy (just like the auto-brightness setting of LiveView). Manual should be MANUAL! I'm hoping I'm doing something wrong...

11-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Inactive Account

it does not happens here.... it stays in whatever speed I select. Do you have a Pentax flash connected to it? I'm using flashes that are not Pentax.
11-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Wolansky Quote
it does not happens here.... it stays in whatever speed I select. Do you have a Pentax flash connected to it? I'm using flashes that are not Pentax.
thank you for your response, Victor. I'm using PocketWizards (to Elichrom strobes). Anyway, it's good to know that there might be a solution and I just haven't found it yet.
11-08-2014, 01:08 AM   #4

Not sure why that is happening to you.
A vast majroity of my shooting with the Z is using flash and this does not happen to me.

Out of curiosity I just went and tested a few shots in manual mode (normally but not always for flash i keep it in X mode).
1/30 shutter
2.8F
100iso
1 pocket wizard on the Z.
1 pocket wizard on a yongnuo flash

A few shots with the view finder and a few shots with liveview.
The shutter speed selected does not change after each shot.

So not much help to you sorry beyond whatever is happening to you should not be happening.

11-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't have the "Z" but on the "D" you have to choose "slow" in the flash menu if you want shutterspeed slower than the X-sync.

Perhaps that will help..
11-09-2014, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
figured it out...

wow, I think I finally figured it out. And OF COURSE it's entirely my fault . Oh the shame. I somehow hit the bracketing button while handling the camera. Well, at least I can sleep easy now knowing that the manual will actually stay manual. Thanks everyone for your hints though.