Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 91
28-45 zoom or 25 prime?

Hi! Does anyone here can facilitate some RAW photos taken with the 28-45 full open? I want to check on it, I purchased the 25 a few days ago, and the quality is awesome, but I hate that I have to come up with tricks to use filters, I'm still on the windows I can return it and get the zoom. But I do not want to regret doing it finding out later than the quality of the zoom is not as good as the 25. I print pretty big, so that is an important factor to me.

if you have some RAW files you can send me, please PM me and I will provide my Hightail uplink address... thanks a lot, same if you want some RAW of the 25, I can provide too.

11-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
Forum Member
rcdurston's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 50
Just to let you know, the 25mm has been put on hold.
The manufacturer who makes one of the prime elements in the lens is no more.
All thats left in stock right now, is all that will available for the fore seeable future.
11-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 91
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rcdurston Quote
Just to let you know, the 25mm has been put on hold.
The manufacturer who makes one of the prime elements in the lens is no more.
All thats left in stock right now, is all that will available for the fore seeable future.
but isn't a relatively new lens? I presume they will look for a replacement manufacturer for the piece. Where did you learned of this?
11-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 623
QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Wolansky Quote
Hi! Does anyone here can facilitate some RAW photos taken with the 28-45 full open? I want to check on it, I purchased the 25 a few days ago, and the quality is awesome, but I hate that I have to come up with tricks to use filters, I'm still on the windows I can return it and get the zoom. But I do not want to regret doing it finding out later than the quality of the zoom is not as good as the 25. I print pretty big, so that is an important factor to me.

if you have some RAW files you can send me, please PM me and I will provide my Hightail uplink address... thanks a lot, same if you want some RAW of the 25, I can provide too.
Full open sample of what? You must have a specific need for using a wide angle lens wide open. Astro? Street?

11-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
Forum Member
rcdurston's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 50
QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Wolansky Quote
but isn't a relatively new lens? I presume they will look for a replacement manufacturer for the piece. Where did you learned of this?
The manufacturer has gone bankrupt. Pentax is looking for a new supplier but as of yet, hasn't found one.
So any 25mm lenses out there are all that's left in the world at the moment.
If you want one, probably best get it soon.

Rob
11-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 911
I can understand Pentax subcontracting the glass blanks from Hoya but I would be surprised if they had subcontracted the actual grinding of lens elements for their flagship camera/lenses.
11-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 91
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Full open sample of what? You must have a specific need for using a wide angle lens wide open. Astro? Street?
Astro mostly. Street low light. But it will also interesting to compare it at a mid aperture too.

---------- Post added 11-07-14 at 07:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rcdurston Quote
The manufacturer has gone bankrupt. Pentax is looking for a new supplier but as of yet, hasn't found one.
So any 25mm lenses out there are all that's left in the world at the moment.
If you want one, probably best get it soon.

Rob
I do have one actually.... so may be just keep it :-) it might go up in value :-)
11-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Thomasbrowphoto's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 335
Im also interested to see the 28-45 in a wide open situation like astro. I have the DA 25mm and is pretty good for astro, However I always seem to get slight start trails what ever the exposure duration from 10sec to 30sec. I have a very solid tripod so that illiminates camera movement. So far I'm very impressed with my 25mm and that extra few mm is important for me to have.

11-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 503
Hi Thomas - I think the presence of star trails is simply because the camera is so high resolution that you can look very closely and see it. With lower resolution, you just cannot go in so close to the file. Trailing would occur whenever the stars occupy more than one pixel during exposure - more likely to happen if the pixels are smaller in relation to the angle of view.

At a normal viewing distance, the trails should not be any more visible - it's just that it lets you look closer.
11-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 91
Original Poster
I have found some full resolution JPGs of the 28-45, but not RAW yet, and they looks incredibly crisp, inclusive at the corners, and on the 25 the corners do not look as crisp as on the zoom, I'm going to repeat some shots with the 25 on a tripod this time just to be sure the lack of crispness I see are not product of a shaky camera.

---------- Post added 11-09-14 at 09:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
Im also interested to see the 28-45 in a wide open situation like astro. I have the DA 25mm and is pretty good for astro, However I always seem to get slight start trails what ever the exposure duration from 10sec to 30sec. I have a very solid tripod so that illiminates camera movement. So far I'm very impressed with my 25mm and that extra few mm is important for me to have.
If you want to eliminate trailing, get something like a Merlin arm, so the camera follow the stars, although then you will have blur on anything on Earth :-).
11-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Thomasbrowphoto's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 335
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Hi Thomas - I think the presence of star trails is simply because the camera is so high resolution that you can look very closely and see it. With lower resolution, you just cannot go in so close to the file. Trailing would occur whenever the stars occupy more than one pixel during exposure - more likely to happen if the pixels are smaller in relation to the angle of view.

At a normal viewing distance, the trails should not be any more visible - it's just that it lets you look closer.
Cheers Ed, Your bang on the money. I think this has been a discussion before. Thanks Tom
11-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #12
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 91
Original Poster
So I will be getting the zoom and comparing them side by side next week, and then probably returning one. Does anyone see a reason to keep both? Would you? This is what I was thinking, if the zoom is as good as the prime, and I need a wider photo, of what is a landscape, I can always stitch 2 photos together, and keep the money with the hopes that Pentax will release in the future a much wider lens that then make sense to own both...
11-11-2014, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 139
QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Wolansky Quote
So I will be getting the zoom and comparing them side by side next week, and then probably returning one. Does anyone see a reason to keep both? Would you? This is what I was thinking, if the zoom is as good as the prime, and I need a wider photo, of what is a landscape, I can always stitch 2 photos together, and keep the money with the hopes that Pentax will release in the future a much wider lens that then make sense to own both...
Victor, I think I should send you some money because I am also torn between the two, I like the wider fov of the 25 but I like the 82mm front filter thread of the 28-45, not sure if I care about the zoom but given that I currently own a 35 I probably do

I'd be very interested to see and hear about your experiences as much as your results.
11-11-2014, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member
Thomasbrowphoto's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 335
QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Wolansky Quote
So I will be getting the zoom and comparing them side by side next week, and then probably returning one. Does anyone see a reason to keep both? Would you? This is what I was thinking, if the zoom is as good as the prime, and I need a wider photo, of what is a landscape, I can always stitch 2 photos together, and keep the money with the hopes that Pentax will release in the future a much wider lens that then make sense to own both...
I would not bother owning both lenses purely for the cost and the similarity in range. As far as I know the 25mm will be the widest lens for the system. Either way they are both incredible pieces of glass. I went for the 25mm purely because every mm counts on the wide end to me and having the widest lens in the line up does not leave me wanting more... say if I had the 28mm zoom, I would potentially yearn for those extra mm on the Wide end... But I shoot in caves and very tight positions sometimes where they really count. :-)
11-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #15
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 91
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GarethC7 Quote
Victor, I think I should send you some money because I am also torn between the two, I like the wider fov of the 25 but I like the 82mm front filter thread of the 28-45, not sure if I care about the zoom but given that I currently own a 35 I probably do

I'd be very interested to see and hear about your experiences as much as your results.
I will have both lenses for a few days so I will take photos of the same subjects with both lenses and will upload the results to my blog.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, aperture, astro, camera, corners, fringe, hand, medium format, photos, post, quality, results, street, tripod, week
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zoom or Prime Luuk General Photography 26 08-26-2014 10:22 AM
Yet another lens advice request: Wide prime or zoom or ? on a budget mgvh Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 43 08-06-2014 09:03 AM
Image quality: DA 16-45 f4 or FA 28-105 f4-5.6 or something else? fanofcc Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 10-10-2013 05:07 PM
Prime or zoom GUS ALBERTON Visitors' Center 4 01-16-2013 06:44 AM
DA 16-45/4 or 24 prime? repaap Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 01-29-2011 04:20 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:33 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top