Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
sunshine7913

Pentax 67 question!

Hi Im photography student in NY and using Contax 645 mostly.(Not mine. I rent from school everyday for class works)

Well Im looking for 67 medium format for Pentax brand and I found 3 of them. Im really confused with three of these so much.

Can anyone tell me about the difference in detail?

11-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are essentially three versions (well actually 4). The original camera is the 6x7 which is manual everything. At some point mirror lockup (MLU) was added to the 6x7. The next model in the series is the 67 which is better, and the last model is the 67II. Here is a link to the history etc. of these beasts. Pentax 6x7, 67, 67 II - Photoethnography.com's Classic Camera DB (Note: I own and use the original 6x7)
11-14-2014, 12:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you plan any work on a tripod, get a mirror lock up model. The 6X7 shutter bangs like a patio door. Also use a heavy tripod or damp it with weights or your hand.
11-14-2014, 05:44 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
There are essentially three versions (well actually 4). The original camera is the 6x7 which is manual everything. At some point mirror lockup (MLU) was added to the 6x7. The next model in the series is the 67 which is better, and the last model is the 67II. Here is a link to the history etc. of these beasts. Pentax 6x7, 67, 67 II - Photoethnography.com's Classic Camera DB (Note: I own and use the original 6x7)
I'd like to add, that although the 6x7 and 67 have manual control only, they are not manual like an MX, which does not rely on batteries except for metering. All 6x7 Pentax cameras won't work without batteries and have an electronically controlled shutter.

I tend to disagree that the 67 is a significantly better camera than the 6x7 MLU. Except you define a black shutter release as better It may have minimal improvents, but the only real benefit is, that you now its not older than 25 years instead of beeing 25-45 years old

11-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iDon Quote
I'd like to add, that although the 6x7 and 67 have manual control only, they are not manual like an MX, which does not rely on batteries except for metering. All 6x7 Pentax cameras won't work without batteries and have an electronically controlled shutter.

I tend to disagree that the 67 is a significantly better camera than the 6x7 MLU. Except you define a black shutter release as better It may have minimal improvents, but the only real benefit is, that you now its not older than 25 years instead of beeing 25-45 years old
The 67 is a big improvement over the archaic 6x7 bodies, none of which I recommend for serious use. One improvement was a small modification of the meter coupling chain routing and the chain material itself. Other improvements occurred in the electronics and mirror damping and the tensioning of the shutter curtain. 6x7 bodies are notorious for headlining the need for repairs and meter coupling chain repairs are frequently near the top of the list. But that is not their only problem. Long and often heavy professional use and progressive deterioration of shutter speed accuracy is another. Damaged or worn shutter curtains also make a regular appearance. It's not a sensible or wise investment to angle for the older 6x7 bodies when the newer 67 models will provide a reasonable hedge against early failure providing you look after them and observe the mount/dismount authority of the metering prism -- this has a lot to do with the risk of breaking the coupling chain. These cameras do require getting a handle on their idiosyncracies and the foregoing paragraph is a critical one to learn the first time you are finding your feet with either the 6x7 or 67. Mirror lock up is very useful but it is a drain on the battery and is best for photographers who use it as a pause to dampen vibration just prior to tripping the shutter. It's not essential, but it is very worthwhile and most of the later 67 bodies have this. A scant few have a novel factory-fitted modification of a multiexposure which I have observed a few students having a lot of creative fun with this small and often overlooked feature, but it is not very common at all.