Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 12:05 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Did ISO actually set the methodology used for digital cameras, or are the digital values just based somehow on the ISO-set standards for film?
The ISO film speed standard was first made in 1974 for film cameras, and then revised various times.
The standard concerning digital is dated 1998 (ISO 12232:2006) and has been revised as well, last time in 2006.
More info here, if you're interested:
Film speed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11-20-2014, 01:40 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
That's because some people could be confused by the actual physical properties of their lenses and cameras, apparently. So the equivalence advocates, who are of course in no way confused themselves :-), think people need to be protected from their own ignorance.

The idea that people might actually understand the properties of the format they choose to use doesn't really occur to them. To be honest, if you don't even know which format you're using, you probably don't care about the effects of aperture anyway.

The main point seems to be to compare apples to oranges and to win an argument that the apple is definitively better than the orange.
I certainly agree about the ignorance bit of some here, well one specially.
11-20-2014, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
at web size, people couldn't tell the difference between a K-5 and D-800
This topic never seems to get old I remember this from 2007:

Breaking the Myth of Megapixels
Deconstructing the Megapixel Myth
11-20-2014, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have travel and wildlife pictures taken with a 10mp K200D and printed on 16x20 paper hanging on my walls. Do you think even 1 person visiting us has ever said anything about megapickles? Of course not. Rather, the kind of comment I get is: Where did you get such great pictures.

11-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
I have travel and wildlife pictures taken with a 10mp K200D and printed on 16x20 paper hanging on my walls. Do you think even 1 person visiting us has ever said anything about megapickles? Of course not. Rather, the kind of comment I get is: Where did you get such great pictures.
It is the people who don't get that response that care about more MP, less noise, less DoF, etc.
11-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

The interesting take away I got from the B&H piece is that B&H, arguably the largest photo retailer in the US, covered all its bases. They singled out cameras from: Fuji, Nikon, Panasonic, Pentax, Sony, Panasonic (again) and Canon. No Ricoh or Samsung or Leica, but every other big player got mentioned.

NaCl(keep everyone happy)H2O
11-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #37

The main point seems to be to compare apples to oranges and to win an argument that the apple is definitively better than the orange.
Definitely, apple fanboys.
11-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I'll say one thing, the apple is definitely more apple-ly.

11-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
This topic never seems to get old I remember this from 2007:

Breaking the Myth of Megapixels
Deconstructing the Megapixel Myth
What I've been saying for years. Should be mandatory reading for every camera buyer. No one ever argues with this logic. They just ignore it. As if not addressing it somehow means their viewpoints are valid. Denial, it's more than just a river in Africa.
11-22-2014, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What I've been saying for years. Should be mandatory reading for every camera buyer. No one ever argues with this logic. They just ignore it. As if not addressing it somehow means their viewpoints are valid. Denial, it's more than just a river in Africa.
...or a park in Alaska... no, wait, I mixed things up!
Yep, very true. And it was written years ago when 24-36MP cameras didn't even exist...
Plus it plays fair by admitting that you can get more cropping leeway if you have a higher MP count, so it's also quite objective.
12-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #41

I got to check one of these out on a college visit this week. Ohhh my goodness. This camera is actually pure magic. No wonder it's gotten this award