Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter

645Z lens choice

Hi All - Id appreciate your thoughts on lens choice for my new 645Z primarily for landscape and portraiture. I've also contacted one or two 645Z users directly , so apologies if I'm duplicating my question to anyone.

I've just tried my 45mm and 165mmLS 67 lenses on my new 645Z with the Photodiox adapter , with mixed results.....the 45mm landscape shots were rather 'mushy' and the 165mm hit and miss (OK on higher contrast images , but again 'soft' on landscapes) ......I also tried a used 120mmF4 FA macro with some success, but again not as good as I had been led to believe from reading other online reviews (eg I read "tack sharp out of the camera...", but my RAW files look a soft and a tad 'milky')
I guess my question is do I have to 'bite the bullet' and invest in the new DFA lenses (55mm , 28-45mm and 90mm macro) to get the best out of the new sensor?
Regards to all , Ian ( in Canada and UK)

11-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

You found the 120 not sharp? Either you have a bad copy or you doing something wrong. I use it for jewelry and the thing IS sharp. The 90 is sharper, but you can't get 1:1 macro. The DFA lenses are better for sure. But the 120 is not a bad lens. Not at all. The 25, I got it and returned it in favor of the28-45 which is much better.
11-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks

Hi Victor - many thanks...I was not using the 120mm macro for close-up , but for architecture and landscape....an architecture pic (church interior) looked good after Lightroom processing but seemed to need a lot of 'Clarity/Contrast' processing to get micro-contrast I expected into the picture.....perhaps my expectations were too high as I have been spoiled by the detail from my Nikon D800 images (which are already at 36MP) and was perhaps expecting the same jump in image quality as when I upgraded from my previous 20MP Nikon..? Anyhow I will try the 120mm again to check if I am making any fundamental errors , as I must admit I am not yet accustomed to the shallower depth of field from the 645...
Noted what you say about the newest DFA lenses.

I did look at your website , and was very impressed by the jewellery shots , and the 'behind-the-scenes' set-ups you showed...obviously lots of 'tricks of the trade' , experience, and patience required to get the 'look' your clients want!
Thanks again , Ian
11-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ian,
post up some shots if you like and we can help you figure out whats going on.
I find my A120Macro to be one of my best landscape lenses - there is no problem at all using it on the 645D. Even with an increase in resolution from the Z, i do not believe this and several of the older A- lenses, for example, will leave you wanting.

11-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BostonUKshooter Quote
Hi Victor - many thanks...I was not using the 120mm macro for close-up , but for architecture and landscape....an architecture pic (church interior) looked good after Lightroom processing but seemed to need a lot of 'Clarity/Contrast' processing to get micro-contrast I expected into the picture.....perhaps my expectations were too high as I have been spoiled by the detail from my Nikon D800 images (which are already at 36MP) and was perhaps expecting the same jump in image quality as when I upgraded from my previous 20MP Nikon..? Anyhow I will try the 120mm again to check if I am making any fundamental errors , as I must admit I am not yet accustomed to the shallower depth of field from the 645...
Noted what you say about the newest DFA lenses.

I did look at your website , and was very impressed by the jewellery shots , and the 'behind-the-scenes' set-ups you showed...obviously lots of 'tricks of the trade' , experience, and patience required to get the 'look' your clients want!
Thanks again , Ian
Thanks!
11-24-2014, 01:25 AM   #6

Hi Ian

As I said in my email to you the lenses (a, da) are all excellent...notwithstanding any faulty ones. But very good technique is required: MLU, timers and rigid tripod etc. I switch of auto focus for landscape work and use the excellent live view.

Yes shallow depth of field is an issue and symptomatic of a larger sensor. Focus stacking is helpful, depending on subject matter.

I find that in my work I apply less sharpening than to dslr files. In fact I apply little or no output sharpening for printing up to 30inches. The sensor is that good. I depend on the texture of the paper to add perceived sharpness.

My Facebook page has some of my latest 645z images: www.fb.com/guyaubertinphotography

Feel free to ask away. I have been using the 645z system for several months and find it amazing.

Guy
11-25-2014, 02:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lens choice

Thanks again Guy - tried the 165mmLS again yesterday , and got some good results, although the 45mm still looks a bit soft...
Will try out the new 90mm macro this week , to see if its as good as the reviews....
I like the animal/people images on your website....
Thanks again , Rgds, Ian