Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
645 film external flash issue

I've recently been taking a semester long studio photography class. Mostly I've been working with my 6x7 body but recently to do portraits, I was working with my 645n body. If I use the hot shoe for an external flash, with the camera set on X-sync the flash will fire as expected. However, as both cameras have a PC connector and I was using a studio light set up (also tried my own strobes with a PC connector as well), when I plugged into the camera's PC port, the camera would not trigger the lights - unless - for the 645n I had an automatic focus lens on the camera. If I put a manual focus lens on or as I was trying to do, a 6x7 lens with an 645 adapter, the flash would not fire on the PC connector. I found this odd really. My work around is that I have a PC port multi connection block which plugs into the hot shoe and I found that I could connect the PC cord to that and trigger the flash as expected.

So I'm wondering if this is a known behavior or something wrong with my 645n. Did a read through the camera manual and can find no explanation that would help. It's more annoying than a problem as I have a simple workaround...but...I am wondering if anyone has seen this before.