Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by GarethC7 Quote
Thanks Martin, let's see if the birds comply for some nice shots Valuable information and I printed it and put it in the camera bag in the slot for the 400 so that I remember to work faster than 1/1600, f7.1 and don't worry about the noise. The light is generally very good in Mexico but there's the chance of an overcast day as we get to the end of the hurricane season but it's still infinitely better than what I was dealing with for my tests.
you are welcome!
Please tell us about your experience after your trip. The FA400 is quite a rare lens and it would be great, if you could share a bit of information.

have fun!

12-04-2014, 05:13 AM   #17
Site Supporter

if really pressed for weight and space, from my experience, i'd go with the 35mm,the 80-160 ,and the 2x tc. I might push it by adding the 200mm. with the tc it's all manual focus, but I've gotten good results with the 2x tc. the real weight will come from the 80-160mm, their zooms re heavy.
12-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #18

Original Poster
I was pushed for weight and space but if I wanted a small camera I would have stuck with the Olympus EM-1 and garbage files I took a 35, 80-160 and 400 and this seems like a perfect set up. I haven't yet downloaded the files but hths may be a good time to review the experience, given that the quality of the images is definitely a separate topic and more than likely to vary with user error.

Of course this is all about the 400. I tried AF but it wasn't me, wouldn't grab fast enough so pretty much useless to me as expected. I'm used to manual focus for absolutely everything I do anyway so no big surprise. I have a feeling that I would have done better to put in some exposure comp prior to shooting but this is largely about learning I think. That 400 is heavy though.

The big win for me was that the focus throw is so much smaller than any camera that I have ever used I think. That makes manual focus an absolute dream. Added to that, even without the marching ants, the fcus snapped in nicely.

I had concerns before I left about getting the shutter speed that I needed to get, ie 1/1500 or faster, but those concerns were unfounded. Martin advised on that being the baseline and in reality I was often slowing the iso down to 200 in order to get something faster than 1/4000 shutter speed. The light was as usual in Mexico very giving and forgiving. Images to follow next week when I get back.