Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Comparison between the 2x T6 and late 2x telecoverters?

Sorry, should have included Pentax 67 in the subject. This thread concerns TCs for the 6x7/67 only

I've looked over the lens database here and note that, while the 2x T6 is listed, there are no reviews. So I thought I'd ask the question here. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the earlier T6 with the later gray 2x Pentax TC? I'm looking to buy one and there's a sizable difference in price over at KEH, although less so on eBay. I'm mostly concerned about quality, but value is a decided factor. Since both the early and late 2x's are 6-element TCs, is there a demonstrable difference in their performance?

Also, over on eBay, I note that there are a number of aftermarket brand TCs. I know from past experience with other medium format cameras, that some of these aftermarket TC makers have produced quality optics -- Komura and Kenko being two that come to mind. Any experience with these as well? Care to offer an opinion on any you might have tried?

12-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Even though I have not used the older T6, it should be noted that Pentax will not make an optical upgrade to design without improving performance. There was quite a stretch of years between the T6 and the gray 2X and I believe there were optical performance improvements made by Pentax during that time. My gray 2X performs very well, especially in the area of color correction. I personally would not take a chance on off brand TCs.

Last edited by desertscape; 12-06-2014 at 12:32 PM.
12-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
My gray 2X performs very well, especially in the area of color correction. I personally would not take a chance on off brand TCs.
Yep ditto!

Phil.
12-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Makes good sense when you put it that way. The later gray one it is then. And I'm guessing the same is true with the gray 1.4x. Although I'm not familiar with an earlier 1.4x anyway.

12-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

When the T6 2X came out, there was no 1.4X, although the 1.4X made specifically for the 800 EDIF ran concurrently with the T6 2X for a number of years. Both the gray 2X and 1.4X TCs are similar in design type and are highly corrected for aberrations. Both are multi-coated and I suspect the use of low dispersion glass.