Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think part of the problem is that the protog gets 9 paragraphs to describe how nice the camera is, while the amateur gets 17 paragraphs to stumble through and complain/praise the camera. Quite a few of the commentators are saying that the amateur photog's review is pretty much useless - because no one ever intends to use the camera in that function.

12-10-2014, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why would DPR do this?

Because . . . . . PENTAX!
12-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
what exactly is the problem here?

the first guy called it out for not fitting into his workflow, which was perfectly valid, but he also said "The latitude in the DNG files is ridiculous... to my eye the CMOS sensor on this camera can produce a file just as luscious as its $30,000 competitors... To me, the ability to hand-hold a medium format camera and capture an incredible looking file at f2.8, 1/500, at ISO 3200 in diminishing daylight is a game changer... The best thing about the 645Z though, without a doubt, is the ease with which you can take this camera into the field."

the second guy was pretty much an mf noob, which he more or less acknowledged, but he still liked the pq, and he nailed that headshot at the top of the page... dpr also put up that full file for eval, not a cropped image.

yes, dpr should have had it reviewed by people who know how to shoot mf gear, but dpr isn't an mf-oriented site... they gave their readership a viewpoint that might be more understandable to the people who are on the site.
Why didn't they give the camera to Justin Bieber? I would have gotten more out of his take on it than the second guy.

The camera is an 8000 dollar camera, plus lenses. Your average dpr reader isn't going to buy one. Still, if you are going to give it to someone to do a test drive, at least choose someone who has a clue. Statements about the fact that a good camera won't cure bad photography skills may be a little funny, but they aren't particularly informational. We know that already, don't we?

Last edited by Rondec; 12-11-2014 at 04:24 AM.
12-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
what exactly is the problem here?

the first guy called it out for not fitting into his workflow, which was perfectly valid, but he also said "The latitude in the DNG files is ridiculous... to my eye the CMOS sensor on this camera can produce a file just as luscious as its $30,000 competitors... To me, the ability to hand-hold a medium format camera and capture an incredible looking file at f2.8, 1/500, at ISO 3200 in diminishing daylight is a game changer... The best thing about the 645Z though, without a doubt, is the ease with which you can take this camera into the field."

the second guy was pretty much an mf noob, which he more or less acknowledged, but he still liked the pq, and he nailed that headshot at the top of the page... dpr also put up that full file for eval, not a cropped image.

yes, dpr should have had it reviewed by people who know how to shoot mf gear, but dpr isn't an mf-oriented site... they gave their readership a viewpoint that might be more understandable to the people who are on the site.
The problem is that I wasted a few minutes of my time reading drivel and want it back. The pro said what every other pro has said about it; some rough edges, but the files are incredible.

12-11-2014, 04:09 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Why didn't they give the camera to Justin Bieber?
*snip*
Sadly Bi(e)ber's time costs a lot of money...
And I believe he was called Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber, not Justin...
12-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Why would DPR do this?

Because . . . . . PENTAX!
Yep, unfortunately I think so.
12-13-2014, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I read that, and peeked at the K3 review too.

It really shows off the DPR anti-Pentax bias.
Everything in the K3 review, they had to add in something to put it down (like mention that simulated AA filter blur is new to Pentax, but Nikon also has one that is being developed - I was like "WTH they need to add that in for?? ") \
Yeah right, like if I'd add in a D800 review that yes, they have a no AA filter 36mp but Canon is working on a 50mp. (I mean... come on...... don't pit real camera/features vs 'air wear')

This article is as lame.
As a hater to dampen the euphoria if the 645Z would have been reviewed properly.
What the 'hater' (I won't even call him writer) did and found, can be applied to any camera out there.
Yes, sucky photographers (or GWC) just take sucky photos since time immemorial.
I guess DPR had to use a 645Z to find that out.
12-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Now you know how Leica users feel! "Fanboys" indeed! We all have our preferences, and they should not let us denigrate the preferences of others.

Chris

12-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
i read that, and peeked at the k3 review too.

It really shows off the dpr anti-pentax bias.
Everything in the k3 review, they had to add in something to put it down (like mention that simulated aa filter blur is new to pentax, but nikon also has one that is being developed - i was like "wth they need to add that in for?? ") \
yeah right, like if i'd add in a d800 review that yes, they have a no aa filter 36mp but canon is working on a 50mp. (i mean... Come on...... Don't pit real camera/features vs 'air wear')

this article is as lame.
As a hater to dampen the euphoria if the 645z would have been reviewed properly.
What the 'hater' (i won't even call him writer) did and found, can be applied to any camera out there.
Yes, sucky photographers (or gwc) just take sucky photos since time immemorial. :d
i guess dpr had to use a 645z to find that out.
post of the year! :d