Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
DPR about the 645Z

Medium well done: Two takes on the Pentax 645Z: Digital Photography Review

Enjoy.

12-10-2014, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

That was one of the lamest things I've read on DPR for a long time.

The DPR guy (Sam Spencer) in particular left me with a really bad impression of him as a photographer. He sounds like he spends most of his time shooting with an iPhone.
12-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

...at least they're talking about Pentax... -_-"
12-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought the first guy (David Wentworth) had the right perspective and is the target market for the camera. Someone who knows well what he is doing and what he needs from a camera.

The 2nd guy (Sam Spencer) - I think he's ok. The first part was comedic relief - making sure nobody thinks this camera will take better iPhone style snapshots or street photography from the hip. He also made sure to say that it's a fantastic camera for people who need what it can offer. I thought it was a good assessment at the end - it's not a camera that is for everyone, but what it's good at, it's really really good.

12-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They are getting pretty ripped up in the comments about how the second guy's POV is pretty shitty for any camera, not just the 645Z.
12-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

A very odd piece. The second was akin to "just got a new ***** and can't get a decent shot out of it" comment on a forum. The first was in line with much I have read elsewhere from experienced photographers.

I am less inclined to even look at that site.
12-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I stopped reading DPR because of their shoddy, biased reporting...and this article didn't do much to redeem them in my eyes.
12-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

The second opinion piece there is just dumb. You could say the same thing about any high end camera (and a lot of the low end cameras too), but so what?

12-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #9

My latest activity over there dated of 3 years ago—until last night, that is.

Likely the most useless piece of "journalism" (or whatever that is) I've come across so far. As a matter of fact I don't know whether he's doing more disservice to the camera or to himself. I think the latter, but still.
12-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Even the pictures from the first writer are pretty bad.

What peeves me is the people jumping into the comments to say "Oh I won't consider buying this camera, those pictures suck, <insert their favorite camera maker> cameras take much better pictures!!".

Like they were going to drop over $10K on a system based on a dpreview article without seeing an actual serious evaluation of what the system can do. I'm sorry but those people are morons.

Of course our friend Jogiba is there too, to tell people the A7r is all they will ever need.
12-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
A very odd piece. The second was akin to "just got a new ***** and can't get a decent shot out of it" comment on a forum. The first was in line with much I have read elsewhere from experienced photographers.

I am less inclined to even look at that site.
Since I signed up here in september (gosh, feels like years ago... ) I rarely go there at all...
12-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Even the pictures from the first writer are pretty bad.

What peeves me is the people jumping into the comments to say "Oh I won't consider buying this camera, those pictures suck, <insert their favorite camera maker> cameras take much better pictures!!".

Like they were going to drop over $10K on a system based on a dpreview article without seeing an actual serious evaluation of what the system can do. I'm sorry but those people are morons.

Of course our friend Jogiba is there too, to tell people the A7r is all they will ever need.
It's the hard part, isn't it? Give the camera to someone who doesn't know what they are doing and you'll get lousy photos, give the camera to an awesome photographer who could make a Holga look good and you don't know if the camera is shining or the photographer.

I'd still rather have a good photographer shoot for several days and then report what was good and not so good about the camera. The Online Photographer tends to do a really good job with these sort of pieces.
12-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #13

Lame shoddy inaccurate journalism

A few minutes of my life I won't get back
12-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It's the hard part, isn't it? Give the camera to someone who doesn't know what they are doing and you'll get lousy photos, give the camera to an awesome photographer who could make a Holga look good and you don't know if the camera is shining or the photographer.

I'd still rather have a good photographer shoot for several days and then report what was good and not so good about the camera. The Online Photographer tends to do a really good job with these sort of pieces.
Yes the Online Photographer is a good site... I particularly like John Kennerdell's articles.
12-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #15
osv
Pentaxian

what exactly is the problem here?

the first guy called it out for not fitting into his workflow, which was perfectly valid, but he also said "The latitude in the DNG files is ridiculous... to my eye the CMOS sensor on this camera can produce a file just as luscious as its $30,000 competitors... To me, the ability to hand-hold a medium format camera and capture an incredible looking file at f2.8, 1/500, at ISO 3200 in diminishing daylight is a game changer... The best thing about the 645Z though, without a doubt, is the ease with which you can take this camera into the field."

the second guy was pretty much an mf noob, which he more or less acknowledged, but he still liked the pq, and he nailed that headshot at the top of the page... dpr also put up that full file for eval, not a cropped image.

yes, dpr should have had it reviewed by people who know how to shoot mf gear, but dpr isn't an mf-oriented site... they gave their readership a viewpoint that might be more understandable to the people who are on the site.