Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #1

Bag Recommendation: 645Z and 55mm lens only

Just bought a 645z! Sold a lot of Canon gear to get here... But I'm now a Pentax guy!

Basically looking for a small bag to store a 645Z with a 55mm lens on it. I could only afford 1 lens so this will be it for a spell. I will have the AF540FGZ II flash in there too.

Haven't received the camera and can't quite visualize how it will fit in a bag given it's size.

Any ideas?

Ideally a top loader but flexible. The smaller the better... Perhaps a top loader.

Seen many a post but most of for storing several big lenses... Which I won't have for a bit.

Thx!

S

12-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #2

Steve

Welcome and congratulations. I have about 19 bags in my closet right now but have settled on a Domke F2 which is big enough for such a monstrous beast and 35 or 55 attached without poking out the top too much. I ended up buying this thing too instead of the relatively inflexible Domke divider.

NEW Ciesta Flexible Camera Partition Insert BAG Medium FOR DSLR SLR Brown | eBay
12-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hello, looks like we both both got disgruntled by Canon

I have a black nylon Think Tank Retrospective 30 messenger bag, and it's easily big enough for a camera this size and 3 lenses, not counting all the side-pockets, but it seems to flatten on it's own when not loaded up, so it never takes up more space than needed. It's also very inconspicuous with no logos and has a very plain appearance.

Even if you don't need that much space, I would still recommend you to get something by Think Tank simply based on how tough this bag is; I've tossed it, traveled internationally with it all loaded up, out in bad weather, and so on for a few good years, and it doesn't have so much as any cuts, frays or loose thread, even on the bottom. I would trust them to make rock-climbing gear.

A friend on mine uses Domke bags, so they must be good too.
12-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Hi. I can recommend Billingham for camera bags. Have a look at the Hadley range. I've had a 335 for about 23-24 years now. I know it's not in the Hadley range but they're all Built to last.
Regards.

12-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #5

I bought a Case Logic backpack for my 645z. When it first arrived, i thought oh no, way too small. But now I'm really happy with it. The best thing is, that it looks inconspicuous. I don't want to look like i'm carrying around expensive gear when i'm in the city. I have the 55mm, 120mm and the extension tubes. Still a lot of room for one medium sizes lens. It has memory foam padding, the bottom is waterproof, side handle to hang a tripod, built in rain cover + a compartment for my laptop. It has a hammock system, but does not work with the size of this camera.

Backpack: https://www.caselogic.com/en/gb/products/camera/backpacks/slr-cameralaptop-b..._-_226_-_steel
12-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #6

Me myself I bought a Tenba Shootout backpack (size small). I did a lot of research and it came down to the Tenba in the end because of it's weather-resistance, comfort, light weight and storage capacity. I can easily fit my 645z + 55mm lens, Fuji X100s, cables, light meter, external drive, pens, etc. Also, my 13" Macbook fits easily in the laptop sleeve which is separate from the rest of the compartments. Tenba also has a great tripod carrying system which you can see in the pictures on their site, when the tripod's strapped on it feels like nothing, even when you're running. The chest and waist straps are also very comfortable and offer great back support. The material used for the outside of the bag is waterproof enough to survive a heavy rain for at least 15 minutes (longest I've tested it), I was in London for the past 10 weeks where it rained heavily and my gear never got wet, plus the bag dries quickly. I have yet to use the rain cover but I've fitted it on it it's an easy task. I've used Crumpler, Lowepro, Canon, and Billingham in the past; none compare to this bag, it's superb.

Check it out - Shootout Backpack LE Small ? Black | 632-305
03-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #7

Promaster Adventure Sling Bag

Just bought the dark grey version of this Promaster Adventure Sling bag from a local camera shop. At $150, it is a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. Expressing my sticker shock, they knocked it down to $100, pretty cool. I really wasn't trying to haggle at all.

Amazon.com : Promaster ADVENTURE SLING PACK - KHAKI Camera Bag : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo

I wanted a sling bag enabling access without needing a place to set the bag to get the camera out as with typical photo backpacks. I can wear this thing on my back for very easy walking around, then pull it to my front side and have the camera in my hand in about 10 seconds or less. The Z fits in the main compartment with one attached lens and a couple more lenses. Here I mean the 'smaller' lenses like 55mm and 35mm SMC-A versions. You could fit another larger lens in the top compartment. Comes with great positionable dividers. The main access zipper is what I call a two stage opening. For a quick grab of the camera, just unzip to where the zippers will be stopped by a plastic clasp on each side. Unclasp these and the whole side of this compartment is accessible but now your gear is a little vulnerable to fall out (only open fully on a table, etc). All in all, it's just a really well thought out bag.

The build quality on this bag is the best I've ever seen but it doesn't scream CAMERA BAG, instead looks more like a school backpack or lunch bag. The one peeve (and all the bags out there seem to be doing this) is they describe 'tripod' straps on the side. They really should be honest and call it a monopod strap cuz it's really not sufficient for any tripod. Maybe a really expensive compact carbon fiber... maybe.

Bottom line is now I feel like I can really take the Z on some adventures and have it be safe and secure. But then where this bag leaves off, the rider on my insurance policy picks up :c]
03-26-2015, 06:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I agree with Kolor-Pikker

QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
Hello, looks like we both both got disgruntled by Canon

I have a black nylon Think Tank Retrospective 30 messenger bag, and it's easily big enough for a camera this size and 3 lenses, not counting all the side-pockets, but it seems to flatten on it's own when not loaded up, so it never takes up more space than needed. It's also very inconspicuous with no logos and has a very plain appearance.

Even if you don't need that much space, I would still recommend you to get something by Think Tank simply based on how tough this bag is; I've tossed it, traveled internationally with it all loaded up, out in bad weather, and so on for a few good years, and it doesn't have so much as any cuts, frays or loose thread, even on the bottom. I would trust them to make rock-climbing gear.
Another vote for Think Tank. I got the 50 to carry even more stuff. You can get some attachments, too. I have one issue with it, but the pros outweigh it by a long shot. Not cheap, but very well made and very stealthy---just looks like a plain messenger/computer bag. I also looked at some Lowe messenger bags, but didn't like the closure---but you might be ok with it. Lowe makes good stuff and has a great warranty and repair service---Think Tank is really lacking here! I have another think tank bag, and my dog chewed one of the handles. Lowe would have repaired that for costs, but not Think Tank.

Don't make the mistake of getting too small a bag, unless you are buying 2, btw.

03-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #9

Large vs Small bags

>Don't make the mistake of getting too small a bag, unless you are buying 2, btw.

I think there are different strategies to camera bags. If you are buying a bag to store all your gear, all the time, then you should certainly go big. But if you are trying to keep a reasonable size and weight for a day trip, hike or just a long walk you'll want to keep it manageable and inconspicuous. The Promaster Adventure Sling is that bag.
03-27-2015, 01:30 PM   #10

If you like slings, Thinktank Turnstyles are great. I own two, a 5 and a 20. The 20 can easily handle my 645D with the 75 attached and the 150mm with plenty of room for a flash or third lens. I can fit the Fuji 50-140mm f2.8 zoom in there along with the other two. Lots of room for batteries and filters. With just two lenses and small flash, the 10 might work as well. Convenient access, feels far lighter on the shoulder than a standard bag.
03-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #11
BTH

Another vote for the Turnstyle if you like slings.

TurnStyle? 20 Sling Camera Bag - Blue Slate
03-28-2015, 05:42 AM   #12

Just to give you an idea, here's the Turn Style 20 with the 75 attached and the 150mm on board. If you're really looking to go small, I dont have the 55mm, but as it turns out the 645d with 75mm attached fits perfectly in the little Hadley Digital bag. I have to admit enjoying the irony of pulling such a large camera from such a small bag. Its is a nice combo when you're out for no particular reason but want to have the camera with you just in case.
Attached Images

03-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Lowepro Camera backpack Flipside Sport 10L AW is just right for Body plus two lenses like 90Macro + A200 or 55 plus 200. The 55 fits with Hood attached, see photo.
I can walk for hours with this backpack. I dont need more than two lenses for a tour, when necessary I can stitch for wider FOV or crop.

Carsten
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX100M3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX100M3  Photo 
03-29-2015, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #14

Sometime this week I'll put up some shots of the Promaster Adventure Sling in use. Still think it's got the gig for carrying a modest amount of gear on your back (or side) and quickest access without needing the strap to leave your shoulder to get the camera out and be shooting in 5 seconds. The bonus is how 'non camera bag' it looks. To me, in grey, it actually looks like a lunch pack.