Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #1

Pentax 645Z and Capture One Pro

Is there a way to to get Capture One Pro to open the 645Z RAW files? I have the files set to DNG in camera.

Dan

12-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, C1 does load DNG files in general, but it only lists the camera as "generic", with no special tuning or profiles assigned. As such you can get better results by using Lightroom instead, which I've had to do so that I can use cast correction, but I did use C1 previously with my 5Dmk2 and I liked it very much.

I don't think that Phase One is about to add a competitor's product to their supported camera list any time soon, they don't have official support for Hasselblad or Leica MF files either.
12-14-2014, 11:56 PM   #3

For mac you can try this: Open Pentax 645z DNG files in Capture One Pro
12-15-2014, 02:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

And for that reason, if I ever sell my Pentax 645z system and get something else, I will never move to Capture One because it shows what a bunch of sore losers they are by not supporting it.

It's not a "smart business decision" by restricting access to those who have a competing product. Hell the D810 and A7r are a competing product to the IQ250 and they support them.

Silly, just silly.

12-15-2014, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Hell the D810 and A7r are a competing product to the IQ250 and they support them.

Silly, just silly.
hehe, try running that line past the guys at LuLa or GetDPI, they will surely convince you that there is no comparison.
12-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You have to call a spade a spade. Anybody with half a brain can see the full frame market has rapidly caught up to MF and the current line of full frame sensors, let alone the up and coming 2015 sensors will be giving MF a run for their money. With Zeiss releasing Otus etc and the Canon 24 and 17 TS, the lens quality is right up there with usability to boot.

I have a 645z and still would love to own an A7r and Canon 17 TS.

Oh and wait, they work with Capture One.
12-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Not much that can be done unless we shower them with mail asking to bring those features in. At the very least it's possible to make your own color profile with a checker card, but again that doesn't do it for lens profiling and secret sauce. When I say secret sauce, I mean that C1 doesn't normally treat, for instance, 25 points of noise reduction equally for all cameras, or even every ISO setting of a camera; this is stuff the C1 engineers tune in their lab and you simply get to control the intensity of that measurement. The generic DNG profile is most noticeably bad with regards to highlight/shadow recovery, and NR/sharpening.

If I had the need for exotic lenses like tilt-shifts, I guess I may have considered going with a smaller camera, or perhaps gone the other way and have gotten a tech-cam with digital back. Since Pentax is betting on landscape photographers to carry them through, I wouldn't be surprised if they released a tilt-shift lens in the near future, but there seem to be a lot of lenses I feel are missing from the current lineup in general, especially where it concerns fast primes that are sharp from wide open.