Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #1

Pentax 67 focusing...

I really hate the focusing screen in Pentax 67 so much. It doesn't have split focusing screen. Because of this, I can't see that the object is in focus or not. God damn it. Also, the focusing screen is really darker than other film camera that I used before. How come this film camera does not have any alternative solution for focusing at all? How am I going to use with this kind of focus screen?

12-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
I really hate the focusing screen in Pentax 67 so much. It doesn't have split focusing screen. Because of this, I can't see that the object is in focus or not. God damn it. Also, the focusing screen is really darker than other film camera that I used before. How come this film camera does not have any alternative solution for focusing at all? How am I going to use with this kind of focus screen?
The easiest way is to just set the estimated distance on the lens. I did this for years on a viewfinder camera with good results. Quick and easy.
12-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hmm. Check your diopter adjustment - I had a similar disappointment with my first 645 that was caused by a way off diopter setting.

It's strange to hear you say that it's the darkest you've used. What lens are you using, and at what aperture?

I've only used a few lenses on the 67 (45, 75, 105), but I've never seen anything I'd consider dark (Much brighter than my 645), and I found it pretty easy to get critical focus.

What prism are you using?
12-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Hmm. Check your diopter adjustment - I had a similar disappointment with my first 645 that was caused by a way off diopter setting.

It's strange to hear you say that it's the darkest you've used. What lens are you using, and at what aperture?

I've only used a few lenses on the 67 (45, 75, 105), but I've never seen anything I'd consider dark (Much brighter than my 645), and I found it pretty easy to get critical focus.

What prism are you using?

TTL meter prism. 105mm f2.4

12-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That is strange. The 67 + 105 + ttl is a really bright combo (and dialling in the focus should be a diddle due to the long focus throw of the 105 - it's one of the best combos I've ever tried).

Make sure the diopter is set correctly, make sure the lens is set to 2.4, and give it a whirl outside (medium format cameras aren't that great in dimly lit rooms). If you have a tripod that can take the weight, then try using that as well - the 67 isn't the easiest layout for hand holding I've experienced!

If after all that the focus is still a pain, unless anyone else has a better suggestion, possibly send it for a CLA.
12-26-2014, 05:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The most likely explanation I can think of is that you have different focusing screens. As far as I know Pentax never changed it during the same model name, but that doesn't mean a previous owner couldn't have. There are after market screens that are supposed to be much brighter than the original. Probably also ones with a split prism.
12-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You probably have a matte screen. There were split image screens made for this cameras and that sounds like what you need.
12-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I’m assuming you have your 67 105/2.4 switch set to “AUTO” and not on “MANUAL” with the aperture set to f/22?

Phil.

12-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
The most likely explanation I can think of is that you have different focusing screens. As far as I know Pentax never changed it during the same model name, but that doesn't mean a previous owner couldn't have. There are after market screens that are supposed to be much brighter than the original. Probably also ones with a split prism.

Where can I find the split focusing screen? Mine, matte screen, is too dark and hard to focus the object...
12-26-2014, 11:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Where can I find the split focusing screen? Mine, matte screen, is too dark and hard to focus the object...
You are unlikely to find an original Pentax one, so try the Beattie ones. (Not sure if they are user changeable) If you had a P67II then you have more options and can change the screens yourself.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Beattie&sts=ma&N=4291592381&Ntt=Pentax++screen

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 12-26-2014 at 11:50 PM.
12-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had a hard time focusing my 6x7 TTL, and finally realized the (used) finder had a diopter lens inserted in the eyepiece. Once I removed it I found it easy to focus. However, I've been focusing on ground glass by judging the sharpness since about 1960. I prefer plain ground glass to any split image or microprism screen. Practice focusing enough and it becomes easier and "automatic."
12-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
You are unlikely to find an original Pentax one, so try the Beattie ones. (Not sure if they are user changeable) If you had a P67II then you have more options and can change the screens yourself.

Pentax screen | B&H Photo Video

Phil.
WOW. Those are TOO expensive to purchase only one split screen.