Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #1

Who is using a 645z in the studio?

It seems that almost nobody is using a 645z in the studio? Why? Is it because its not really a joy to use the tethering software from Pentax?

12-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 645Z Review - Updated 12-22-14 - Mark Kitaoka PhotographsMark Kitaoka Photographs
12-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The tethering software hasn't been officially released yet, but Alex has gotten great results in the studio:
Alex Munoz: Medium Format Pentaxian - Pentaxian Profiles | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #4

Jin, thanks for the share! Great to hear real life studio experiences with this camera.

12-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The tethering software hasn't been officially released yet, ...[/URL]
You mean this one...?

Pentax Image Transmitter 2 (CD-ROM) 38553 B&H Photo Video
12-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by xpixel Quote
Yup. Guess the production version is finally starting to ship!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup. Guess the production version is finally starting to ship!
Yes in the US. But its shipping already since september... and this software is unfortunately not a joy to use - even no resizable window...:-( Sorry but for a medium format camera this software is a joke...

12-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Studio shooters usually don't shoot for "joy."

The 645Z is made for outdoors, landscapes and such, just like the 645D before it. The body is fairly compact, it is tough, WR, one piece (no separate back).. its practically a DSLR, with a larger sensor. Has advanced features, shooting modes, and so on. Another reason to get it is the competitive price. If you want to get joy out of a 645Z, you should probably head on outdoors and leave the computer behind.
The main downsides of Pentax are that it is not that easy to rent equipment, to get fast service outside Japan, some limited software support, and so on. Of course, these things are not necessary for pro level photos, but they are what allows a pro ecosystem to form.

Oh, and the 645Z is relatively new on the market, so it doesn't have a big following yet. Most serious studio photographers probably already have a camera brand, and its probably one of the more prestigious Hasselblad or PhaseOne. Pentax is not directly competing against them, but rather looking for a different market. The gap between these markets is getting smaller, though! (or, they are already overlapping)
12-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xpixel Quote
Yes in the US. But its shipping already since september... and this software is unfortunately not a joy to use - even no resizable window...:-( Sorry but for a medium format camera this software is a joke...
So, what is your point. I guess I missed it. What are your studio needs. If you can tell us what you do perhaps we can better guide you to a decision. There are many options to everything, cars, computers, radios, clothing, etc, etc -- That's because one size does not fit all. Choose the hammer that fits.
12-27-2014, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The 645Z is made for outdoors, landscapes and such, just like the 645D before it.
Who tells you that...?

And what about this now... The marketing is telling other's... but unfortunately not everything.

12-27-2014, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I recently attend a Joel Grimes class and he is using the 645z for his studio work.

---------- Post added 12-27-2014 at 04:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
I recently attend a Joel Grimes class and he is using the 645z for his studio work.
Here is the link to Joel Grimes 645z web page. Pentax 645Z
12-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote

---------- Post added 12-27-2014 at 04:12 PM ----------

Here is the link to Joel Grimes 645z web page. Pentax 645Z
I'm using the 645z for 'studio' work and loving it. Image Transmitter 2 works just fine, and can shoot into either LR5 or Phocus. I will do a full review on it (or as part of an update user-experience review) but it is just fine. The only real hold-up in tranmission is the 3+ seconds the camera takes to 'think' (ie: process) the image in some way prior to initiating the transmission. There seems to be no way to turn this off, which absolutely cries-out for a firmware fix.

Personally, I have been transmitting large, low-quality jpegs and writing RAW to a card in-camera. This gives the fastest working time, and suits me just fine as the tethering is only for image review and examination.

The focusing and image quality under strobes are excellent. In fact, I had a small mishap where I shot the first look of a shoot on ISO 1000 instead of 100 - it happens when you are dialing down from 6400! The shots are absolutely fine, except the deep shadows have less recovery room.

So far so good.

- N.
12-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I use it only at studio, for jewelry photography. Wonderful camera. From time to time I take it out for a little fun. But most of the time, indoors.
12-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
I'm using the 645z for 'studio' work and loving it. Image Transmitter 2 works just fine, and can shoot into either LR5 or Phocus. I will do a full review on it (or as part of an update user-experience review) but it is just fine. The only real hold-up in tranmission is the 3+ seconds the camera takes to 'think' (ie: process) the image in some way prior to initiating the transmission. There seems to be no way to turn this off, which absolutely cries-out for a firmware fix.

Personally, I have been transmitting large, low-quality jpegs and writing RAW to a card in-camera. This gives the fastest working time, and suits me just fine as the tethering is only for image review and examination.

The focusing and image quality under strobes are excellent. In fact, I had a small mishap where I shot the first look of a shoot on ISO 1000 instead of 100 - it happens when you are dialing down from 6400! The shots are absolutely fine, except the deep shadows have less recovery room.

So far so good.

- N.
Were did you get your copy?
12-31-2014, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #15

I got mine directly from Pentax for review. But I believe it's for sale at B&H for some outrageous sum. It should be widely available by now - I'll check.

- N.