Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2015, 07:03 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HELP: Remote Trigger Not Working

I have a 645D and Bought a Remote Trigger than plugs in, I read the book and Pentax says to go into the Drive menu and select one of 3 options. I tried all 3 and I can't seem to figure out why the Shutter is NOT releasing
It does focus when you push the remote but Shutter does not release the self timer lamp blinks . Am I doing something wrong with the Trigger unit. Thank you

I also went into the camera menu and tried to adjust the AF with trigger and set to OFF and Then tried ON. Still does not trigger

01-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #2

Is the connector plugged in correctly ?
The plug has to be very thin.

-Linus-
01-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #3

Hi, is it the original one? Are you sure it is working? You can check the plug, it should short circuit 2 elements of the plug for AF and other two for Shutter. One is always common. If you have a digital multimeter you can quickly check if the release cable is working. Thus eliminate one problem.
01-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mistahk Quote
Hi, is it the original one? Are you sure it is working? You can check the plug, it should short circuit 2 elements of the plug for AF and other two for Shutter. One is always common. If you have a digital multimeter you can quickly check if the release cable is working. Thus eliminate one problem.
Not the original one. Purchased from Ebay. JJC S-C2 Wireless remote replaces Pentax CS-205 The trigger is a push button and it slides forward. Can you explain which is used for each function. maybe I am not using it correctly. The curved part of the plug goes into the Trigger Unit and The This Plug goes into the Camera Disp Button. Is that correct ?? Thank you all

01-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #5

In most cases I saw the angle ("L" plug) plugged into the camera and the straight one into remote release. the plugs might be of different size (length) and a millimeter might make difference here.

If it doesn't change anything plan "B"

Basically the idea is simple. We want here to check if everything is right with the cable. It works with a simple mechanism. Three cables one used as common the other two go for autofocus and shutter.

For your device halfway pressed should autofocus, pressed should release shutter and pressed and moved should block the shutter in "B" mode.

There might be 2 options. 1.Your cable is broken. 2. The camera need some special treatment for releasing the shutter like special resistor in circuit. But i don't think so. (I've checked it.)

The quick test use your cable with other Pentax camera.

Without it we need to check the cable. You should check if there is a continuity (using a multimeter) between "sleeve" and "tip". And "sleeve" and "ring" (middle).

I'm referring to this:

If the cable is working. Might be the camera setup.

Here you have how the cables work, to give you a general idea:

Pentax (and others) DSLR cable shutter release from hands-free cell phone kit

and

www.doc-diy.net :: camera remote release pinout list

If the cable works. Double check the camera. You can check it just having simple mini jack and short circuiting pins.
01-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mistahk Quote
In most cases I saw the angle ("L" plug) plugged into the camera and the straight one into remote release. the plugs might be of different size (length) and a millimeter might make difference here.

If it doesn't change anything plan "B"

Basically the idea is simple. We want here to check if everything is right with the cable. It works with a simple mechanism. Three cables one used as common the other two go for autofocus and shutter.

For your device halfway pressed should autofocus, pressed should release shutter and pressed and moved should block the shutter in "B" mode.

There might be 2 options. 1.Your cable is broken. 2. The camera need some special treatment for releasing the shutter like special resistor in circuit. But i don't think so. (I've checked it.)

The quick test use your cable with other Pentax camera.

Without it we need to check the cable. You should check if there is a continuity (using a multimeter) between "sleeve" and "tip". And "sleeve" and "ring" (middle).

I'm referring to this:

If the cable is working. Might be the camera setup.

Here you have how the cables work, to give you a general idea:

Pentax (and others) DSLR cable shutter release from hands-free cell phone kit

and

www.doc-diy.net :: camera remote release pinout list

If the cable works. Double check the camera. You can check it just having simple mini jack and short circuiting pins.
I really appreciate the diagram and your help. I will try this again and see if its ok. The AF light blinks and it does focus but I hold down the button and NO actuation. I will get back to the forum. Thanks again