Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2015, 02:15 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 37
645Z has long shutter lag at Live View mode

I have tried using my Pentax 645Z now for two weeks. Just yesterday, had tried shooting people dancing, since I were using Pentax 67 lens on it, have to use LV for easier manual facusing, then found I missed most of the poses in action, as it seems the shutter lag is very long, perhaps in 0.5 sec range. Anybody know the data of shutter lag of the 645Z? I think if shoot without using LV perhaps shutter lag would be faster, however, it will mean to switch between LV for focusing and non LV for shooting which is not convenient. When I use Sony A99/A77II/A7r/A6000 shooting, I don't feel there is any longer shutter lag when using LV, as LV is the advantage for these camera to use MF lenses.

01-07-2015, 02:39 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,091
The only lag I recall is that associated with the fact that the shutter first has to close before opening again, which is nowhere near half a second.

What kind of light were you shooting in? If it was really dark, it could be that the camera got overwhelmed while trying to increase the gain of the live view image, but that's just a guess. I know that this can certainly slow down the LV framerate.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-07-2015, 04:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,792
the 645D and 645Z are no speed demons - And comparing them to 35mm cameras really isn't fair, the sensor is bigger, the files are larger, DOF is shallower there are so many elements working against you in low light using medium format. If you have it I would suggest sticking to the D-FA55mm f/2.8 and use AF, Manually focusing in the dark with slow lenses along with trying to capture fast action is hard enough on APS-C it is even harder on medium format.
01-07-2015, 05:55 AM   #4
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 37
Original Poster
The shooting of dancing was in day time in open space, no concerns of speed or lighting, just ISO 400 (using the 67 400 f4 green star white lens). Well, my past experience when shooting MF, it will be faster than any AF, as there is no need to do the locking of AF operations inside the camera. Another example, when using Canon 1Dx, the shutter lag is really shorter, so it is easy to catch the pose in a dancing, such as doing a legs spread of "-" in the air. When Sony's A77/ A99 was out three years ago, I already found all these Sony camera's shutter lag are much longer, so you need to tempo much earlier when shooting dancing and actions. Making such photograhy more difficult. Now it seems 645Z is also slow, i.e. have long shutter lag. I also used Hasselblad H4D-40 but do not felt it has such long shutter lag, though it is having shutter inside the lens, not focal plane shutter.

---------- Post added 01-07-15 at 09:15 PM ----------

Just found Canon 1Dx's shutter lag is 36-55ms, so wonder what is this lag for 645Z at non LV, and at LV.

01-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 91
Well. Comparing a 1DX to a 645Z is not exactly comparing apples to apples. I have being using both, but recently sold the 1DX, I feel lag but not really to take the photo, but more for the live view to return to live after taking the photo, that is what bothers me the most. I cant tell you numbers, but feels pretty instantaneous when you are on manual mode for focus. Sure having to close the live view, take the photo then will take some time. Those advertised times by Canon are not in live view mode by the way. Same process on the Canon, need to lower the mirror and then take the photo.
01-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #6
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
QuoteOriginally posted by thomaskplee Quote
I have tried using my Pentax 645Z now for two weeks. Just yesterday, had tried shooting people dancing, since I were using Pentax 67 lens on it, have to use LV for easier manual facusing, then found I missed most of the poses in action, as it seems the shutter lag is very long, perhaps in 0.5 sec range. Anybody know the data of shutter lag of the 645Z? I think if shoot without using LV perhaps shutter lag would be faster, however, it will mean to switch between LV for focusing and non LV for shooting which is not convenient. When I use Sony A99/A77II/A7r/A6000 shooting, I don't feel there is any longer shutter lag when using LV, as LV is the advantage for these camera to use MF lenses.
I guess you'll find your answers here:

Pentax 645Z Review - Performance

regards, Udo
01-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 91
.3 seconds, the average human reflex time is .25 seconds. Meaning you might get a total of .45 seconds delay. Is that long enough to totally miss the moment?
01-11-2015, 02:04 AM   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 37
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by desertdiver Quote
I guess you'll find your answers here:

Pentax 645Z Review - Performance

regards, Udo
Thank you, the information is very useful!

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 05:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Wolansky Quote
.3 seconds, the average human reflex time is .25 seconds. Meaning you might get a total of .45 seconds delay. Is that long enough to totally miss the moment?
Well the delay is making catch of motion - like dancing, quite difficult, in Live View mode. So will have to switch to non LV for shooting motion of model. But for MF lenses ( am using several Hasselblad Zeiss V mount lenses, as I found they have much better resolution than the 67 lenses when getting pixel to pixel images at the 50M sensor), it is easier to stay in LV, as the peaking is very useful for focusing, nothing is perfect!

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 05:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Wolansky Quote
Well. Comparing a 1DX to a 645Z is not exactly comparing apples to apples. I have being using both, but recently sold the 1DX, I feel lag but not really to take the photo, but more for the live view to return to live after taking the photo, that is what bothers me the most. I cant tell you numbers, but feels pretty instantaneous when you are on manual mode for focus. Sure having to close the live view, take the photo then will take some time. Those advertised times by Canon are not in live view mode by the way. Same process on the Canon, need to lower the mirror and then take the photo.
Yes, it is true that 135 camera is not to compare with the mid format, and Pentax 645Z is the first one have a as easy Live View mode as the 135 camera. On the other hands, 1Dx's LV mode is still able to shoot very fast, as I have been using it quite a bit to shoot small birds ( with Nikon Reflect 2000mm f11) while using MF, and sometime also connect its HDMI output to a 7" monitor to help faster manual focusing. However, all Canon's HDMI will black out for quite a long time when shooting. Sony (both the SLT and Mirrorless) are fast and almost no black out when shooting LV with HDMI output to external monitor. But so far, Sony do not have a fast (frame/sec) full frame camera.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, af, camera, canon, delay, hdmi, lag, lens, lenses, live, live view mode, lv, medium format, mode, motion, pentax, photo, pixel, shutter, shutter lag, time, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
645Z and Live View MrPhil Pentax Medium Format 6 09-11-2014 12:32 AM
645Z - DOF Preview in Live View? Ryan Tischer Pentax Medium Format 6 07-31-2014 04:17 PM
Keep K-30 in live view mode? maxxxx Pentax K-30 & K-50 13 02-25-2014 12:46 PM
K5 Live View: Live Exposure Adjustments Visible in "M" Mode? godwinaustin Pentax K-5 6 08-13-2013 08:11 PM
K20d - doubts about live view and long shutter noise reduction... José Ramos Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 01-26-2010 05:25 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top