Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2015, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Sorry if I am being nosey here. Are you the Nick Devlin from The Luminous Landscape?
Guilty as charged

And yes, I am working on a follow-up article on the "z", including a review of IT2. But sure am happy with it so far, and rather like the community here.

- N.

---------- Post added 01-09-15 at 06:47 AM ----------

This sounds very pedantic, but if Pentax is committed to this system, they have to gradually work their way through the lens line-up, modernizing all of them. That entails a review as to whether they can, at reasonable cost, upgrade optical performance, but more importantly improve the lens' ability to focus finely and, above all, tighten tolerances on everything. MF digital is so insanely demanding that lenses which were superb for film show a myriad of weaknesses in this medium. Pentax's 645 lenses are good enough for me, but could certainly be better.

Really only glass like the Leica S series and the Rodenstock and Schneider digital tech cam lenses exploit the modern sensors fully. And we know the cost of that....Most Pentax usersaccept that
we don't need that level of perfection, but it would behoove Pentax the review and rework the system for the modern reality.

This also illustrates why a larger sensor is just not in the cards. The current sensor is nowhere near being fully resolved most of the time, i suspect, so what the point in larger? Frankly, if it's a shallow depth of field issue, a couple new lenses would cover and void that anyone now feels exists, though I have to say that the 105. 2.5 from the 67 and the 165 f2.8 give such shallow DOF and lovely roll-off into OOF areas that I really don't think this is an argument for a bigger sensor. On the wide-side, the 28-45 covers wider than pros almost ever need to shoot, so it's hard to see any case for a larger chip there either.

Pentax also needs to perfect the tethering solution. That's a cheap and easy fix that will win them a lot of potential customers.

For now though, I'm glad to finally, thirteen years after the digital revolution really got rolling, to have have a camera I really love.

- N.

01-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bull drinkwater Quote
I was happy when the 645d and lenses came along at prices I could afford. I've loved it for the last four yrs. the 645z looks so good i'm almost temped to buy one. if there is a next generation 645 there are a few things i'd like to add.

1 electronic viewfinder.
2 dampened shutter.
3 full frame sensor, same area as film.
4 for pentax to make a 1.4 tc set up for auto focus.
I am not knocking your list at all but find it interesting that none of these features would be of any benefit to me.

I could go for a longer than 30sec shutter speed (before using bulb). Not that I am too lazy to turn the dial, but it always seems when I am shooting twilight and bracketing, or using ND filters in good light, that my sweet spot for light is always straddling the 30sec mark, so i am switching back and forth a bit. There may actually be a way to program my intervalometer to bracket in Bulb mode but I have not figured that out.

As a D user, I am not sure if they fixed this on the Z, but I am also moderately aggravated that the rear LCD remains on to say "No card in the camera" whenever only one card is in the camera. There is a similar message when one card is full. I have yet to find a way to cancel the message, so the LCD screen remains on as long as I have the camera on. Did they fix it on the Z?

---------- Post added 01-09-2015 at 09:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
Guilty as charged

And yes, I am working on a follow-up article on the "z", including a review of IT2. But sure am happy with it so far, and rather like the community here.

- N.
Nick, I appreciate your participation here and have enjoyed your videos.
01-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I am not knocking your list at all but find it interesting that none of these features would be of any benefit to me.

I could go for a longer than 30sec shutter speed (before using bulb). Not that I am too lazy to turn the dial, but it always seems when I am shooting twilight and bracketing, or using ND filters in good light, that my sweet spot for light is always straddling the 30sec mark, so i am switching back and forth a bit. There may actually be a way to program my intervalometer to bracket in Bulb mode but I have not figured that out.

As a D user, I am not sure if they fixed this on the Z, but I am also moderately aggravated that the rear LCD remains on to say "No card in the camera" whenever only one card is in the camera. There is a similar message when one card is full. I have yet to find a way to cancel the message, so the LCD screen remains on as long as I have the camera on. Did they fix it on the Z?

---------- Post added 01-09-2015 at 09:15 AM ----------

Nick, I appreciate your participation here and have enjoyed your videos.
Have you gone into the menu to select 'OFF' in the memory card settings. You have to effectively turn the slot off. This appears to be fixed in the Z, but I remember how annoying that message was and I went through the menu and remember it going options for RAW-->JPG--->OFF. When you select OFF this message stops...

Last edited by itshimitis; 01-09-2015 at 10:58 AM.
01-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Have you gone into the menu to select 'OFF' in the memory card settings. You have to effectively turn the slot off. This appears to be fixed in the Z, but I remember how annoying that message was and I went through the menu and remember it going options for RAW-->JPG--->OFF. When you select OFF this message stops...
you just made my day - yes, turning off the slot works!
thanks for that.
and to think I may have known that 2 years ago if i'd only read the manual...

01-09-2015, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
Guilty as charged

- N.

---------- Post added 01-09-15 at 06:47 AM ----------

This sounds very pedantic, but if Pentax is committed to this system, they have to gradually work their way through the lens line-up, modernizing all of them. That entails a review as to whether they can, at reasonable cost, upgrade optical performance, but more importantly improve the lens' ability to focus finely and, above all, tighten tolerances on everything. MF digital is so insanely demanding that lenses which were superb for film show a myriad of weaknesses in this medium. Pentax's 645 lenses are good enough for me, but could certainly be better.

Really only glass like the Leica S series and the Rodenstock and Schneider digital tech cam lenses exploit the modern sensors fully. And we know the cost of that....Most Pentax usersaccept that
we don't need that level of perfection, but it would behoove Pentax the review and rework the system for the modern reality.

This also illustrates why a larger sensor is just not in the cards. The current sensor is nowhere near being fully resolved most of the time, i suspect, so what the point in larger? Frankly, if it's a shallow depth of field issue, a couple new lenses would cover and void that anyone now feels exists, though I have to say that the 105. 2.5 from the 67 and the 165 f2.8 give such shallow DOF and lovely roll-off into OOF areas that I really don't think this is an argument for a bigger sensor. On the wide-side, the 28-45 covers wider than pros almost ever need to shoot, so it's hard to see any case for a larger chip there either.

Pentax also needs to perfect the tethering solution. That's a cheap and easy fix that will win them a lot of potential customers.

For now though, I'm glad to finally, thirteen years after the digital revolution really got rolling, to have have a camera I really love.

- N.
Hi Nick, my feelings mirror yours. After this being my 7th camera since 2004 I can say that the requirement for buying gear has plateaued and now I only really wait for newer lenses that will offer more to the experience that I do not feel are available now. I long for a new design tele zoom in the 90-200 range and I think there is one on the roadmap

The Z is an extremely capable camera and I find myself using it in different ways than I may have before, even more handheld shots at wide angle etc instead of always on a tripod.

Just needs that electronic first curtain shutter.
01-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
you just made my day - yes, turning off the slot works!
thanks for that.
and to think I may have known that 2 years ago if i'd only read the manual...
I never RTFM either. I found it by trial and error because it just annoyed me too much.
01-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
I think a mirrorless version of the 645Z crossed with the Hasselblad Arcbody would be an interesting option. With the tilt/shift built in to the body all lenses become tilt/shift and it will only be the DFA lenses that vignette. While I'm aiming high I'll ask for a metabones style 67->645 adapter crossed with the 1.7x AF adapter to give an AF 67->645 adapter that also acts as a light intensifier.
01-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #23
Forum Member

I feel the camera is very well rounded for a first attempt at the CMOS market.
If you read my first mini review, you'll know some of my gripes already.
The biggest thing, by far, is the AF zone. It just isn't large enough.
I could live with the slow processing of images, the lag time between images to adjust ss or aperture, the poor SD slot position on the camera(under the strap mount).
Faster lenses wouldn't hurt either.

Rob

01-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Whether a larger sensor comes out depends entirely on Sony and their perspective of the market, few companies make or are able to manufacture a specific kind of chip, at least when it comes to this scale.
I'm sure a smaller company could be petitioned into making a custom sensor, but for Sony it usually has to be a big company like Nikon to take notice, which sells millions of cameras each year. Even with all MF companies buying out the Sony sensor, it might not necessarily make financial sense for Sony... just saying.