Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 12:14 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

wish list for next gen. 645

I was happy when the 645d and lenses came along at prices I could afford. I've loved it for the last four yrs. the 645z looks so good i'm almost temped to buy one. if there is a next generation 645 there are a few things i'd like to add.

1 electronic viewfinder.
2 dampened shutter.
3 full frame sensor, same area as film.
4 for pentax to make a 1.4 tc set up for auto focus.

01-08-2015, 12:45 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bull drinkwater Quote
Keep dreaming This would shoot the price of the sensor through the roof :P

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-08-2015, 01:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Keep dreaming This would shoot the price of the sensor through the roof :P
It took this long for CMOS to arrive at the current sensor size, I can't imagine how ancient the tech would be to keep cost down for a bigger one.
01-08-2015, 02:32 AM   #4

FF 645 CMOS is not impossible, it's just that Ricoh's current MF market strategy is to bridge DSLR technology and undercut everyone on price. At around the $30000 price point they would lose that, and they wouldn't make the margins for the enterprise to be viable.

Eventually however, someone will crack the problem of stitching together smaller chips cheaply and well. That would make prices scale much better with sensor area. Actually, fuji/panasonic are looking good with their "organic" design, because all the electronics go behind the sensor surface instead of around it. But we'll see what happens if they ever get there.

Last edited by topace; 01-08-2015 at 07:12 AM.
01-08-2015, 05:09 AM   #5
Zav
Pentaxian

1 electronic viewfinder.
Why ?
01-08-2015, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #6

So what are my whishes (except for FF)?

Wifi phone/computer tether
4k 60fps raw filming
SSD persistant cache
longer shutter times selectable
very low base ISO, or taking several exposures in sequence and blending them.
01-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm holding out for the 67d myself.

01-08-2015, 08:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
I'm holding out for the 67d myself.
Why? After shooting 6x9 for a couple of months I won't accept anything smaller!
01-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #9
Banned

I don't think the new lenses are even made for full size 645, just the crop (maybe getting bigger to 36x48mm in the future).

I guess that leaf shutter lenses would have priority to get the camera more versatile with faster sync flash and studiolight.

Faster processing would be on the list I guess, since files are growing.

The 645Z is pretty much a very complete camera. Better AF, that covers a larger area would be great.
01-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Why ?
Because EVFs are better in every sense of the word.

More accurate framing, real time exposure feedback, zoom in manual focus, WB in real time and many more.

Having an EVF brings so many other advantages, it would have electronic first curtain shutter and be more damped as a result, making for superior handheld shooting.

As another user pointed out to me, in extreme cold environment an OVF if better, so my ask is for a attachable EVF that is tiltable as well. I would be happy if it had a cable connecting to a comms port on the side so it can be used freely of the camera.

My wish list is as follows:

EVF.
Electronic first curtain shutter.
1min, 1.5min, 2min, 4min shutter times available in manual mode.
Smaller body size same as Adam pointed out in his review, if it's possible.
Button to activate lens stop down preview without having to hold the dial down like currently.
90-200mm OS lens, 300mm f/5.6 OS lens
01-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #11

EVFs are just awful, to me. Try as I might, I can't enjoy using them. If I wanted to watch the world on TV....

Electronic first curtain is really the only thing the camera needs. And it needs it badly. I shudder to think how much quality we are losing to the shutter.

I also agree on the built-in long shutter speeds.

SMALLER lenses - no OS.

And leaf shutters....please. (also not likely, bc there's probably no viable source short of an in-house design)

Body can't get much smaller - the flange depth can't change without losing all the lenses.
01-08-2015, 11:05 PM   #12
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
EVFs are just awful, to me. Try as I might, I can't enjoy using them. If I wanted to watch the world on TV....

Electronic first curtain is really the only thing the camera needs. And it needs it badly. I shudder to think how much quality we are losing to the shutter.

I also agree on the built-in long shutter speeds.

SMALLER lenses - no OS.

And leaf shutters....please. (also not likely, bc there's probably no viable source short of an in-house design)

Body can't get much smaller - the flange depth can't change without losing all the lenses.
Sorry if I am being nosey here. Are you the Nick Devlin from The Luminous Landscape?
01-08-2015, 11:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

smaller lenses-no o.s.

a modern fast lens, 40mm 2.3, 165mm 2.3
01-09-2015, 04:25 AM   #14

i want a mirrorless body with adapters for my current 645 lenses and a set of smaller lenses but Ricoh won't be the ones to do it. It will be a Leica and I will have to sell a kidney or something. At my age, that really doesn't give a lot of options.
01-09-2015, 04:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nick I believe that Adam discovered that there may be room behind the sensor that could be spared, making the body less deep, Adam can you chime in?

OVFs are nice and they have their place for studio and others, but for landscape in "most" light, an EVF is better. That's why I think we should have the option for one.

EFC is a must, especially for longer lenses. I feel that between about 1/200 and down to 1/10 maybe, the shutter kick will kill most images. I find that slowing it down to 1/4sec or more will overcome it, but tripod is a must.

No OS is fine, as long as the quality is there.