Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Shutterbug blasts 645Z Video

Shuttebug magazine did an extensive review on the Pentax 645Z in their latest edition. I was eager to read it since they love to stick it to Pentax for some reason. To my surprise they praised everything about the Pentax 645z(with minor nitpickings ) . Unfortunately they really came down hard on that camera's Video capabilities. Not sure if this is true.

01-14-2015, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

The Camera Store was also not impressed with the video in the 645z but rated it as the second best camera of 2014

---------- Post added 01-14-2015 at 12:27 PM ----------

Just saw that the Nikon D750 is being quietly recalled. Ironically the Camera Store rated the Nikon D750 as the camera of the year ahead of the Pentax 645z.
01-14-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yep, the video on the camera is pretty terrible, and for some reason the image displayed on the LCD is different from the recorded footage. Not that it matters to me, I have a nice camcorder just for that purpose, but it's clear that there is only video in there for the live view, similar to how it was on the 5D2 when video on DSLRs was a new concept, however it at least ships with manual exposure and audio. It may have been excellent if it recorded 4K using full-sensor sampling and a low-compression codec, but as is often the case, this is a problem of insufficient processing power.

While the 645Z is a giant unwieldy mess for video, it's pretty much the best photographic camera going into 2015 now as well, having live 16x magnification makes all the difference and is one of the reasons I don't regret switching from the D.
01-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To keep things in perspective, how is the video on the other MF cameras?
Video in the 645Z is special just for existing.

01-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Shuttebug magazine did an extensive review on the Pentax 645Z in their latest edition. I was eager to read it since they love to stick it to Pentax for some reason. To my surprise they praised everything about the Pentax 645z(with minor nitpickings ) . Unfortunately they really came down hard on that camera's Video capabilities. Not sure if this is true.
The 645Z's video mode is about the same as what's in the K-3 in terms of quality & features. Still, it's the first medium format camera to have video support, so that's already something.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

There is a video somewhere on YouTube where someone tried to do a short film. It seems the codecs aren't up to snuff, definitely not generating what the sensor is capable.

I suspect that it will be fixed.
01-15-2015, 06:49 AM   #7

Every review of the 645Z has come down on the video capability. That's fine. I bought a medium format stills camera, I have little to no use use for the video capability of any camera but if I did then there are plenty of manufacturers who put alot of time, energy and R&D money into the video of their stills cameras that I'd go for. Thinking about it, 3 out of my 4 other cameras shoot video, I'd pick one of them up.

Personally, I view them as different art forms so asking your camera to shoot video is a bit like asking it to play a tune or be able to paint an image for you.

I think Canon's developing one of them now.
01-15-2015, 07:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GarethC7 Quote
Every review of the 645Z has come down on the video capability. That's fine. I bought a medium format stills camera, I have little to no use use for the video capability of any camera but if I did then there are plenty of manufacturers who put alot of time, energy and R&D money into the video of their stills cameras that I'd go for. Thinking about it, 3 out of my 4 other cameras shoot video, I'd pick one of them up.

Personally, I view them as different art forms so asking your camera to shoot video is a bit like asking it to play a tune or be able to paint an image for you.

I think Canon's developing one of them now.
I think Pentax will fix it because having a well implemented video will sell more units. It doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, simply portly implemented.

01-16-2015, 04:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I think Pentax will fix it because having a well implemented video will sell more units.
...perhaps, but if someone were given $8K+ to drop on a camera for good video, the newly announced Sony FS7 would be a vastly better choice. Make no mistake, video DLSRs only sell because they offer large sensor performance at a low cost, but once you start going past the mark at which you can buy decent large-sensor camcorders, it doesn't make sense, which is why the Canon 1Dc was such a flop.

QuoteQuote:
It doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, simply portly implemented.
Camcorders typically have dedicated chips that handle sensor sampling and encoding the footage, among other things, and some higher-end cameras even have active cooling to prevent the ASICs from overheating. Why is it that RED can push such high resolutions and frame rates out of their cameras at the same time? It's all about the processing power and noisy cooling. A firmware patch alone isn't what's keeping this camera's video down, although it could help with some glaring omissions.

One aspect of the 645Z I do not like that's related to the live view is that Manual and (strangely) X-sync modes force you into exposure simulation where the brightness of the image changes depending on the settings, but doesn't go all the way like Canon's does, which results in a couple of problems.

1. There is a limit to how much over/under exposure can be shown, even though metering should have zero effect on exposure simulation, which often leads to confusion when I see an over-exposed image, but adjusting the values doesn't immediately affect the exposure. This can easily lead to over-exposed images when I might think that the image will simply be brightly exposed, when it's actually severely overexposed.

2. Why does X-sync use exposure simulation? It's clear that if you're using X mode, you're also using flash, but the camera doesn't know how strong the flash is and so doesn't compensate for the fact that shooting with the same settings and no flash (say, f/13 ISO100 1/125th in a dark room) would lead to a totally black exposure and so the exposure simulation shows you a really dark image as a result.

This could be fixed, if on like Canon cameras, you could choose which modes used auto-exposure or exp. sim. when it's convenient.

Last edited by Kolor-Pikker; 01-16-2015 at 04:38 AM.
01-16-2015, 06:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It feels like Pentax does need to invest more in video, not just in the 645 line, but also in their APS-C cameras. If they don't have the in-house know how to develop this, then they should license it from someone else. There are a lot of companies out there that would sell something like that to Pentax that would be high quality. I would think it would add a few dollars a camera, but might be worth it in the end.
01-16-2015, 07:38 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It feels like Pentax does need to invest more in video, not just in the 645 line, but also in their APS-C cameras. If they don't have the in-house know how to develop this, then they should license it from someone else. There are a lot of companies out there that would sell something like that to Pentax that would be high quality. I would think it would add a few dollars a camera, but might be worth it in the end.
Agreed.