Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2015, 05:24 PM   #1

I really hate Pentax 67's focus screen.

The focus screen is matte without the split screen. This is really hard to focus on the subject. Since the viewfinder and the screen is dark, I can not focus well. I really don't want to shoot blurred pics which mess up my negatives. How am I going to solve this problem? I know that B&H sell the split focusing screen but why does it costs $266 for only one piece... WTF...

01-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The standard screen had a micro prism center spot to "fracture" the image. Both the split image and all matte were accessory screens. I've always preferred the all matte in SLRs as I find it easier to judge sharpness and less distracting. You might keep an eye on eBay.
01-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
The focus screen is matte without the split screen. This is really hard to focus on the subject. Since the viewfinder and the screen is dark, I can not focus well. I really don't want to shoot blurred pics which mess up my negatives. How am I going to solve this problem? I know that B&H sell the split focusing screen but why does it costs $266 for only one piece... WTF...
Yeah check eBay or KEH, you might find a used screen at a much better price.

Phil.
01-17-2015, 09:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
The standard screen had a micro prism center spot to "fracture" the image. Both the split image and all matte were accessory screens. I've always preferred the all matte in SLRs as I find it easier to judge sharpness and less distracting. You might keep an eye on eBay.
I have a 67 with the Beatie screen installed, I find it hard to use, I don't have experience with the stock screen though.... (I wear glass)

the stock screen in 67II is easier to focus though.

01-18-2015, 03:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

A long time ago It was possible to order medium format focusing screens from Minolta(R.I.P) - who in my opinion, made the best focusing screens on the planet. Minolta made screens for early Hasselblad medium format SLR cameras - but you could order ones for other camera makes as well. I have a Minolta(R.I.P) angled prism screen in my 67II and 645NII, only the slightest change is needed to the metering but other than that my experience with it has been excellent. The focus "snap" of these screens is excellent and they offer a slightly brighter image than the stock screens do. Unfortunately, they are pretty much impossible to find these days.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-18-2015 at 03:16 AM.
01-23-2015, 12:38 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I have a 67 with the Beatie screen installed, I find it hard to use, I don't have experience with the stock screen though.... (I wear glass)

the stock screen in 67II is easier to focus though.
Oh wow, you think the Beatie screen is dark? I always wondered how much brighter it would be than the standard screen.

Also try Igor Camera for focus screens.
01-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter

That’s where the 67ii with its replaceable screens shine. You have 24 to choose from, 12 regular and 12 bright screens. The bright screens are for macro and telephoto lenses when the view finder is darker because of extension tubes or rear converters.

You also have a choice of grid or plain matt screens, with a split, spot or microprism center focusing aid.

These screens are easier to find and you can still get them new from some retailers in Japan. I have five now for my 67ii.

Phil.