Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DA25mm 645 lens Internal Filter options?

Hey guys and girls, just wondering if any of you have insights into using a Internal ND filter on the 25mm lens. If anyone could give me a link to where I can find some that would be great.

Thanks, Tom

01-21-2015, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any 40.5mm screw-in filter will work, such as this one:

Tiffen 40.5mm Neutral Density 0.9 Filter 405ND9 B&H Photo Video

Remember that every 0.3 neutral density equals 1 f stop.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe I have the same filter that Adam posted. Works fine. Takes a little time to change as you need to be more careful so as to not drop the filter holder or let anything get into the lens. Usually I just lay a lens cloth over the lens opening while I swap filters.
01-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
Forum Member

Too bad there doesn't seem to be anyplace to order additional filter holders to make it quick and easy to change them out - Pentax/Richo has been no help, nor B&H, or anyone here when I asked about this several months ago. I tried to get a filter made by Sing-Ray, but they required me to send them one of the filter holders, which I could never buy anywhere. If someone here has a source to purchase one of these filter holders, please let me know. Thanks!

01-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
in addition to the clear 40.5mm and C-PL that came with the lens, I also use a B+W F-PRO 10-stop ND
01-25-2015, 01:53 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would also love to know a way to get hold of further examples of the filter holder. It would be much better to have the most frequently used filters ready loaded in those holders than fiddling around with large, clumsy hands in the half light as wonderful conditions change quickly...
03-31-2015, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
in addition to the clear 40.5mm and C-PL that came with the lens, I also use a B+W F-PRO 10-stop ND
Hey mike Im wondering what kind of long exposure time you can get from the above mentioned lens filter. Would it be good for architecture/ long exposure clouds?

Thanks mate.

03-31-2015, 10:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
Hey mike Im wondering what kind of long exposure time you can get from the above mentioned lens filter. Would it be good for architecture/ long exposure clouds?

Thanks mate.
its great for that.
02-17-2021, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jwoodland Quote
Too bad there doesn't seem to be anyplace to order additional filter holders to make it quick and easy to change them out - Pentax/Richo has been no help, nor B&H, or anyone here when I asked about this several months ago.

If someone here has a source to purchase one of these filter holders, please let me know. Thanks!
Hey Tim!
Sorry i'd took that long, it seems i've been distracted.
Ricoh offers the Pentax Filter Holder for DA560mm (article number 35656), which seems identical to the holder for the 645 DA 25mm:
Buy Filter Holder for DA 560mm lens, for £90.37! | Ricoh Imaging UK
02-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Hey Tim!
Sorry i'd took that long, it seems i've been distracted.
Ricoh offers the Pentax Filter Holder for DA560mm (article number 35656), which seems identical to the holder for the 645 DA 25mm:
Buy Filter Holder for DA 560mm lens, for £90.37! | Ricoh Imaging UK
That filter holder must be a state secret outside of Europe. I couldn't find it as an available part in any USA Ricoh-Imaging literature. B&H doesn't list it. The image of the filter holder (see below) appears with Amazon's web page for the lens, but no separate purchase information is listed. And Ricoh Imaging UK doesn't sell into the USA, at least via their web site link above.

Except for the color, in the orientation seen in the attached image the 645 DFA 25mm filter holder appears identical as @angerdan noted.

Flipped over, one finds that the externally exposed knurl for circular polarizer rotation has a small (~7mm) metal gear on its shaft. This mates to a second metal intermediate idler gear (~8mm), which drives a fine tooth (~47mm) plastic ring gear on the outside of the filter adapter ring.

References I found by @angerdan: Pentax Normal 40.5mm Filter (for rear filter holder of DA 560mm and 645 DA 25mm) - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

And a note: Previously reported testing by me of the 25mm confirmed my suspicion based on optics behavior in general, there must be glass in the filter, for example a CP filter or a clear filter or an ND filter. Otherwise, the optical prescription deteriorates.
Attached Images

Last edited by kaseki; 02-18-2021 at 06:28 PM.
02-18-2021, 06:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this does indeed turn out to be compatible with the 645 25mm DA/DFA, I would be VERY interested in knowing about it. THANKS SO MUCH for this... Please keep us all informed!
02-18-2021, 06:30 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
If this does indeed turn out to be compatible with the 645 25mm DA/DFA, I would be VERY interested in knowing about it. THANKS SO MUCH for this... Please keep us all informed!
If I could get one I could tell you how it turns out. At this writing it seems to be vaporware in the USA.

Note: previous message had various edits over time that might have been missed.
02-18-2021, 06:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can it not be bought from the UK site? A pain - but possible...?
02-18-2021, 07:21 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Can it not be bought from the UK site? A pain - but possible...?
Perhaps they might answer the telephone if the UK lock-down hasn't chased them out of the office. Perhaps of the myriad dialects in the UK not conforming to std. rcvd. English, I will understand what I hear. An email might also work; didn't look at that. Spelling is close enough.

I noticed for EU shipping by UPS that they listed 30 pounds sterling. Seems pretty high for a couple of ounces. I also don't know what the shipping conditions are UK to USA. Japan has to use DHL for camera stuff at present. It was very easy previously. The Japan Post had a deal with the USPS and one could declare and mail a package that quickly got to its destination. DHL has to deal more deeply with Customs, so there can be delays. Also, one's telephone number seems to not get passed along in the process, so when no package arrives, one has to call and find it, and maybe pay a Customs inspection fee.

Correction: the website is an English version with UK denominated currency, but the actual business location is in France. I'll try their contact system.

Tilt! That form only allows messages from listed EU countries. I'll think further about "pain" vs. reward.

Last edited by kaseki; 02-18-2021 at 07:30 PM.
02-18-2021, 07:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They certainly will be speaking/writing in English rather than American, that much is true for sure

Can't comment on the shipping/payment issues these days. Although I am British, I live in Oz and when I was last home, it was in a pre-Covid, pre-brexit world, so things may have become harder and less logical.