Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2015, 07:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Experience with Pentax Image Transmitter 2?

Does anyone have experience with this new software for studio workflow. I have a Pentax 645D, but I am interested to hear from anyone who has hands-on experience with either the Pentax 645D or the Pentax 645Z. Many thanks for your input.
Regards, jmb

01-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
Inactive Account

as far as I know the Image Transfer II is only for the 645Z. It works fine, it just does what it says it does. Gives you remote control over the machine, if connected via USB3 transfer of image is about 1 second.
01-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmb Quote
Does anyone have experience with this new software for studio workflow. I have a Pentax 645D, but I am interested to hear from anyone who has hands-on experience with either the Pentax 645D or the Pentax 645Z. Many thanks for your input.
Regards, jmb
I know Alex Munoz has used it so you might want to reach out to him. Based on what he told me, the software works well in the studio.

Alex Munoz: Medium Format Pentaxian - Pentaxian Profiles | PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Wolansky Quote
as far as I know the Image Transfer II is only for the 645Z. It works fine, it just does what it says it does. Gives you remote control over the machine, if connected via USB3 transfer of image is about 1 second.
It's also backwards-compatible with the 645Z, without live view of course.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #4

It works fine. IT2 does nothing really other than facilitate the transfer of the file. You can shoot into LR5, C1 or even Phocus using watched folders. Works just fine. I have found it very stable on my Mac. Hot unplugging/re-plugging reconnects without any rebooting.

I hope to do a short review if time permits in the next little while.

- N.

01-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
It works fine. IT2 does nothing really other than facilitate the transfer of the file. You can shoot into LR5, C1 or even Phocus using watched folders. Works just fine. I have found it very stable on my Mac. Hot unplugging/re-plugging reconnects without any rebooting.

- N.
Are you able to use it with capture one?
01-22-2015, 10:41 PM   #6
Inactive Account

The question is Capture one supports Pentax RAW files?

---------- Post added 01-22-15 at 10:42 PM ----------

I think it does not.
01-22-2015, 11:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Wolansky Quote
Capture one supports Pentax RAW files?
C1 supports K-3/K-5/K-x etc DNG's no problem.
I suspect it will handle 645Z DNG's too, but perhaps not with totally optimized colour profiles etc.

01-23-2015, 03:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

- N.
Many Thanks Nick for your comments. I would love to see one of your reviews on this product. Your reviews on both Pentax medium format cameras have been outstanding.

Regards, johnmb

---------- Post added 01-23-15 at 03:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I know Alex Munoz has used it so you might want to reach out to him. Based on what he told me, the software works well in the studio.

Alex Munoz: Medium Format Pentaxian - Pentaxian Profiles | PentaxForums.com

It's also backwards-compatible with the 645Z, without live view of course.
Thanks Adam for the suggestion.

Regards, johnmb

---------- Post added 01-23-15 at 04:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
C1 supports K-3/K-5/K-x etc DNG's no problem.
I suspect it will handle 645Z DNG's too, but perhaps not with totally optimized colour profiles etc.
With the latest version of Capture One, I have no problems with Pentax 645D dng RAW files. Perhaps the color profiles are not spot on, but it is not a big deal.

Regards, johnmb
01-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #9

Phase One has intentional blocked support of the 645z. However, Alex Munox has written a nifty little javascript called "Capturefix" that (for now) allows C1 to import 645z Raw files. The colours are all f'ed up, so you're on your own there, but yes, I can confirm it will import.

The link to the script download is here: Capture One Fix adds support for 645z images - Alex MunozAlex Munoz Lifestyle/Fashion Photograpy

Note, you need the SDK version of Java to run it.

If viewing of files during tethered shooting is your only concern, all of these programs will support jpegs from the 645z. This also speeds the preview process a lot. Send a Large, one-star Jpeg to the computer and save the RAW to card if speed is your paramount concern.

- N.
01-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #10

Phase One has intentional blocked support of the 645z. However, Alex Munox has written a nifty little javascript called "Capturefix" that (for now) allows C1 to import 645z Raw files. The colours are all f'ed up, so you're on your own there, but yes, I can confirm it will import.

The link to the script download is here: Capture One Fix adds support for 645z images - Alex MunozAlex Munoz Lifestyle/Fashion Photograpy

Note, you need the SDK version of Java to run it.

If viewing of files during tethered shooting is your only concern, all of these programs will support jpegs from the 645z. This also speeds the preview process a lot. Send a Large, one-star Jpeg to the computer and save the RAW to card if speed is your paramount concern.

- N.
Do you have a link for the Java SDK, having a bitch of a time getting it to work
02-18-2015, 11:50 PM   #11
Forum Member

I was contacted by Ricoh about the issue and have made 'some' progress getting it to work on a PC:
REVIEW: Ricoh IMAGE Transmitter 2 Software - Mark Kitaoka PhotographsMark Kitaoka Photographs
04-08-2015, 02:49 AM   #12
Forum Member

I have done some testing with their new version of IT2 v2.1.0
04-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #13

So glad to hear you got these issues resolved. I think we can now pronounce IT2 fully usable.
04-08-2015, 11:13 PM   #14
Forum Member

Indeed!
04-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #15
Forum Member

I'm having a heckuva time trying to use Image Transmitter with my 645z. The software won't recognize my camera. It basically tells me that no camera is connected. I have a new usb3 cable for tethering and I've updated to the latest firmware on the camera body. I tried to update the software version on Image Transmitter (it's currently version 1), but I get a message telling me that it can't find the old version of Image Transmitter on my computer to update. Has anyone experienced this problem?