Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2015, 04:20 PM - 5 Likes   #1

Finally got to use my 645z, at Berlin Fashion Week

Finally got around to using my 645z, and decided to try it out for Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in Berlin. Took about 6500 shots in 3 days without any problems to speak of. The AF-C worked well in low light, getting about 9 out of 10 shots. (a little slower then a 5DMKII, but not bad). Didn't have time to order any other lenses before I left from Vegas, so I shot the whole thing with the 55mm lens. (sucked not having a long zoom, but considering I have the 51 MP count, I can crop the shots down to 1/3 and still have the same as a D4, so cropping was my zoom for the show). Also had the AF540FGZII flash for shooting in-between the shows for street style and lounge areas, and have to say it was utter sh*t, slow recycle and ate through batteries like you would not believe. (not to mention the LED light is just to blinding, so I couldn't use it), although the P-TTL worked just fine. (about as accurate as a Canon 660EX in exposing in uneven light). All in all, the 645z performed amazingly throughout the week, although the waiting to change the settings after shooting a few shots in a row sucked. Have to say though, even though a billion shots where going off every second, you could hear the loud clacker of my shutter, kinda of funny...

Cant post the good pics till the I get the ok from the magazines I'm shooting for. Will post some more on a site latter after shopping the rest out to other blogs/website/mags.

01-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oo, sounds (and looks) good! Would like to see more
01-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Cant wait to post them. Sucks having to download the pics though, having 2x 256GB cards is great though. (of course I had it write the file to both cards for back up).
And here is a screenshot of one of the pics I used the Pentax AF540FGZII flash mounted on a custom brackets CB Mini-RC. (I always under expose with the 645z by 2/3 of a stop to make sure I don't blow highlights, and I don't have to worry about the losing the details as the 645z is amazing at pulling out the shadows).

---------- Post added 01-23-15 at 04:48 PM ----------

Came across a pic of everyone setting up in the pit, and me with my 645z..lol.

01-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, even those few you posted look great. I'm jealous.

01-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope everyone had good deodorant on.
01-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vivavegas Quote
Came across a pic of everyone setting up in the pit, and me with my 645z..lol.
What, not even any ties or collared shirts on the men? Just jeans and sports wear? I am disappoint.

I expected all fashion media males would be dressed ... fashionably, like Scott Schuman.
01-24-2015, 01:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great, interested to see some more work.
01-24-2015, 02:36 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I hope everyone had good deodorant on.
Unfortunately some of the french video crew did not, but they made up for it with all their snarky comments during the show..lol

01-24-2015, 03:42 AM   #9

Original Poster
Noticed some moire in the pics but not that bad, I normally leave it alone and not try to fix and smudge the details. (compared to the general public, seems only photographers are really are picky about it). One thing though is with the high MP count, you really end up giving yourself more work. Things you didnt notice like fly away hairs, or even nose pores, start to come into play when retouching. All in all, I'm loving the Z and can't see my self going back to Canon FF. (in fact after this Ill pass on the Pentax FF when it comes out, and just pick up a Pentax APS-C camera).

And for those pixel peepers, heres the link to the full size jpeg from the photo below so you can see what it looks like before retouching skin, pores, clothing lint, etc.) Link: http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/ee36/dvk3dbtf9kj2268zg.jpg
After runway snapshot:
01-24-2015, 05:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vivavegas Quote
Also had the AF540FGZII flash for shooting in-between the shows for street style and lounge areas, and have to say it was utter sh*t, slow recycle and ate through batteries like you would not believe.
Get a Quantum battery pack, and also the proper cable, it'll massively boost your shot count and cut cycle times as well.
01-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
Get a Quantum battery pack, and also the proper cable, it'll massively boost your shot count and cut cycle times as well.
Problem is that there is no connecting cords for the AF540FGZII due to its weather sealing. (no pc sync, no external power input). Thats why I think ill be picking up something else. (like a Metz for P-TTL).