Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
There is a v2 Adobe profile. It just isn't public yet, I believe. It's fine. Much better than the first. If you're unhappy with using the embedded profile in LR5 get the Huelights one till the Digitalis ones hit the market :-)
Is there a way to get ahold of this v2 Adobe profile?

02-06-2015, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #17

If Adobe hasn't released it officially, I don't think so. I received it through beta channels, so I wouldn't feel comfortable spreading it around. I imagine it will be pushed out in an update soon.

- N.
02-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The embedded profile makes a world of difference to my reds. I tend to shoot with landscape profile and the default profile is flat in comparison. Thanks for drawing my attention to it, I don't know why i didn't try it before. It doesn't seem to make as much difference when the blue/cyan are prominent.
02-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
The embedded profile makes a world of difference to my reds. I tend to shoot with landscape profile and the default profile is flat in comparison. Thanks for drawing my attention to it, I don't know why i didn't try it before. It doesn't seem to make as much difference when the blue/cyan are prominent.
Are you shooting DNG files? I'm shooting PEF files in the 645Z and there is no embedded option in the drop down box in LR5.

02-06-2015, 09:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Yes I'm shooting DNG
02-07-2015, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Yes I'm shooting DNG
I used PEF once and never bothered again. There's no reason, especially if it prevents LR from seeing the Embedded profile.

And Oh lord, do NOT use Adobe Standard! It is an awful profile. Adobe should be mortified they ever released it. I have actually found the Embedded profile to be quite good, on my camera at least. It really is a season-to-taste thing, though, which is why I have been encouraging people to try the Huelight profiles (he sends you three, I think, low, med, high contrast), since they allow you to try a lot more variations for any given shot, and are basically free considering the price of time (and the camera).

- N.

ps. I also think third-party profilers who at good at what they do should be encouraged to support the platform, because it is such a valuable resource. Normal mortals with jobs or such are in no position to do our own profiles, so it's nice to have these folk out there when the big players drop the ball.
02-07-2015, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #22
Forum Member

I used PEF once and never bothered again. There's no reason, especially if it prevents LR from seeing the Embedded profile.

And Oh lord, do NOT use Adobe Standard! It is an awful profile. Adobe should be mortified they ever released it. I have actually found the Embedded profile to be quite good, on my camera at least. It really is a season-to-taste thing, though, which is why I have been encouraging people to try the Huelight profiles (he sends you three, I think, low, med, high contrast), since they allow you to try a lot more variations for any given shot, and are basically free considering the price of time (and the camera).

- N.

ps. I also think third-party profilers who at good at what they do should be encouraged to support the platform, because it is such a valuable resource. Normal mortals with jobs or such are in no position to do our own profiles, so it's nice to have these folk out there when the big players drop the ball.
If there are no known advantages to using PEF then I will start shooting DNG.

Last night I loaded up the Huelight 645Z profiles I had purchased a few days ago and compared them to the Adobe default - WOW! The Huelight set is WAY better. You get 4 profiles now, the low/medium/high contrast set plus a standard, and all have shockingly good color to my eye that makes Adobe look sick in comparison.

Grateful for the Huelight recommendation on here. I'm going to pick up the set for the 645D also and likely re-process my best images with Huelight.

Ross

02-08-2015, 07:35 AM   #23

I think the Huelight guy owes me lunch!
02-08-2015, 07:40 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I think the Huelight guy owes me lunch!
Indeed he does, as I have just ordered it too
02-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #25

I have never used PEF out of the D or the Z, always DNG. Originally it was for workflow benefits since my processing workflow is all Adobe at the start. Now I'm seeing some other possible benefits with DNG profile embedding and custom DNG profiling or profile editing.

I've been using the Huelight profiles for awhile for my 645D and 645Z; I ordered them just after I got the Z. So far I prefer them. One thing I still have on my to-do list is a more systematic comparison of Huelight-profiled photographs made side by side on the D and the Z, to see how much of the perceived colour rendition can be equalized just by the profiling. But short of that, I do like what I see from the Huelight results.
02-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Huelight Vs. My revised 645Z profile. under online viewing conditions make of it what you will:

Pentax 645Z -SMCP-FA645 150mm f/2.8 @ f/8 1/60th ISO 100.
02-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I have paid for and received the profiles, but can't seem to get them to appear in LR5 or ACR 8.7.1....I have moved them, and copied them into the correct folder. But I'm still just getting Embedded and standard.
02-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #28
Pentaxian

All sorted now following very prompt reply from Colin. Great service...