Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2015, 06:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Best (current) heavy duty tripod models for a Pentax 67?

So I pulled the trigger on a Pentax 67ii. I understand that it requires a beast of a tripod to counter the shake caused by the shutter actuation. I've found a few old threads addressing this, but they mostly suggested makes and models of tripods that are discontinued or have been renamed. Any tripod recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

---------- Post added 01-29-15 at 07:06 PM ----------

I would add that ideally it needs to strike a good balance between being heavy / sturdy and being somewhat portable for short hikes.

01-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I upgraded to an Induro carbon set which is very strong and sturdy. Weight capacity is 55lbs, so plenty for your 67ii rig. It is quite tall just with 3 leg sections extended, much higher than I need, so I only extend a 4th section if i am standing on a steep hill and need to throw a leg down in front.
I put up a review here:

Induro CT414 8X Carbon Tripod reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
01-30-2015, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
A solid review, mikeSF. This sounds like it's just what I'm looking for. Thanks!
01-30-2015, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #4

While very pricey, I think the Really Right Stuff pods carbon fibre pods are the best things going.

- N.

01-30-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Extreme sturdiness and easy-to-carry are generally poor bedfellows. Two heavy tripods that have been around for many decades in various forms, as minor improvements have been made: Manfrotto 028B* Triman and 475B Pro. They have similar rating (about 26lb), similar carry weight (about 9.5lb) and similar price. The 475B may fold a bit smaller and extend a bit higher. Carbon fiber significantly reduces weight and increases cost, commonly double or more the price for the same weight-bearing rating.

*I believe I can remember when the predecessor of this model, with its double upper leg sections, was first introduced in the 1960's.
01-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

a nice Berlebach. Best damping tripod
01-30-2015, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vZwicky Quote
So I pulled the trigger on a Pentax 67ii. I understand that it requires a beast of a tripod to counter the shake caused by the shutter actuation. I've found a few old threads addressing this, but they mostly suggested makes and models of tripods that are discontinued or have been renamed. Any tripod recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

---------- Post added 01-29-15 at 07:06 PM ----------

I would add that ideally it needs to strike a good balance between being heavy / sturdy and being somewhat portable for short hikes.
You will find that the 67ii is easy enough hand hold at a shutter speeds of 1/125 or higher. So you only need a tripod when you are shooting in low light, long shutter speeds, doing macro work or shooting with heavy lenses.

Phil.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Manfrotto 028B* Triman
+1 That's what I use and it works well for the 6x7 or 35mm big lenses.

Phil.

01-30-2015, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Hanging your camera bag below the tripod head adds mass to help counteract that sledgehammer shutter-shake. The heavier, the better, so pack all your lenses in the bag and bring them along. Maybe even buy a couple more lenses, then a bigger bag...

I have seen camera mounts made of basalt. Stable, but not exactly portable without some IATSE Teamsters on your crew.
01-30-2015, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for what all seems to be sound council. This is a weighty issue that I must resolve. Before this I didn't have much leg to stand on.

Last edited by vZwicky; 01-30-2015 at 04:20 PM.
01-31-2015, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vZwicky Quote
Thank you everyone for what all seems to be sound council. This is a weighty issue that I must resolve. Before this I didn't have much leg to stand on.
made me chuckle
01-31-2015, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
After researching specs and reading reviews I've concluded that I want this kit to be as light and as compact as possible- as light as a kit that includes a P67 can be anyway.

I narrowed it down to the carbon fiber pods for the low mass, relative compactness, and high strength...

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 10:36 AM ----------

It should always be easy to improvise some added mass to hang from the platform when needed for low light and open shutter shots.

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 11:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
While very pricey, I think the Really Right Stuff pods carbon fibre pods are the best things going.

- N.
And it seems there are many others who agree. This is (I hope!) my only shot in life to purchase an insanely overpriced bundle of sticks. So I went with the RRS TVC-34 and a big honkin' ball head to go with it. It is rated for 50 pounds and weighs 6.7 pounds total- an auspicious sum to go with a 67. I like that it folds up small enough to be compliant with most carry on luggage standards- this will be handy for the international travel I hope to make happen later in the year.

Thank you all for the input. Please feel free to add more recommendations. Even though I have made my decision, others will certainly find the info here useful.
01-31-2015, 10:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Congrats.
01-31-2015, 11:26 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks!
01-31-2015, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wear it in good health.
02-02-2015, 08:57 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
a nice Berlebach. Best damping tripod
I have a Berlebach Report (2 section with the leveling ball) and it's great for times when I don't need to carry it very far.

If I'm planning to hike a ways with the Pentax 67, I'll take my Induro CT313 (3 leg sections). It's a personal preference, but I don't like 4 section tripods.

Gary
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 20D  Photo